Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7

Options
  • 14-07-2015 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hey guys,

Just got my parts in from hardwareversand, but waiting on a response for a windows key on reddit.

Anyone got an idea how long the sellers take to reply and forward on the key? I mailed a guy on saturday that digital linked to another poster , still no reply.

Is there an alternative route to go? For a reasonable price that is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Took a day to get my key. Ended up going with the one Digital linked also.

Although went to activate today and the key appears not genuine, so waiting for response from the guy for a new one

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Try one of the other lads on the subreddit. The mod is called S7an or something so I'd say he's good. Mrjeffy took a little while to get back to a few other posters recently

• Registered Users Posts: 22 hollywoodhogan

Thanks guys, yeah ill try some other reputable sellers.

Actually just got mine working, had to go through some cmd line stuff and reboots but worked :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Just had a quick look at that reddit site. Can the image not be burned to disc? do you have to create a bootable usb?

• Advertisement

Fairly sure it can be burned to disk yeah. Being cheap as chips and reusable, most opt for USBs :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

I always wondered with these software swap things on reddit, how are the keys so cheap? Pretty sure they obtained illegitimately tbh... :P

They're Dev keys, MS sell them cheaply but they're not supposed to be use for personal use. MS don't seem to care though.

If they were illegitimate then MS would find a way to cut our use of them

wouldn't burn to disk using daemon tools . Unusual!

Try Nero Image Burner

• Advertisement

Try Nero Image Burner

Yes that worked. I made a bootable usb anyway.;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Absolutely no promoting software piracy please. Here or anywhere else on Boards.ie. The remark "but all Windows licenses on Reddit are always pirated so its fine to talk about it" holds no water here. Some may be, mention of those will be nuked, but most are legit. For those who did not see the removed posts, yes, there has been a suicide-by-mod in here, and Boards.ie still operates a zero-tolerance policy on promoting piracy, so a major incitement will earn the poster an instaban.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Have to wonder if the reddit sellers sell the same keys over and over. E-academy or MSDNAA keys are only good for a handfull of installs before they lockout. Could shaft you if you wver needed to wipe a box.

ED E wrote: »
    Have to wonder if the reddit sellers sell the same keys over and over. E-academy or MSDNAA keys are only good for a handfull of installs before they lockout. Could shaft you if you wver needed to wipe a box.

Assuming on the above we can't discuss any further. But worth remembering that the cost of software here isn't the same elsewhere.

Was only when I took some far travels that I realised companies and manafacturers sometimes make market/region specific products at special pricing points( as the region may be significantly poorer etc.) So many of these keys are totally legit, they are just bought from region where they cost less(although that probably violates some region specific stuff in the terms of use)

First came across this when in a country with a really low standard of living, and found out that Sony distributors in the region, provide a unique PS3 to thta market. It had no wireless, no blueooth and a few other things removed, but was an officialy license PS3, at a lower price point for that market

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I think we're ok (Solitare will be sure to let us know if not, he was on about a post I used the little red icon on ;) ). The keys are legit, its just a little grey market as to how they're being re-sold.

€15 is probably just what the markets settled on, they keys are "free" to many (I have a rake of keys for everything from XP to Server2012). My point was simply to warn people that buying keys in this way might not have the longevity of buying real retail keys.

ED E wrote: »
    €15 is probably just what the markets settled on, they keys are "free" to many (I have a rake of keys for everything from XP to Server2012). My point was simply to warn people that buying keys in this way might not have the longevity of buying real retail keys.

They're OEM keys so tied to hard drives, so unless you regularly get caught with resold keys it's still a good bit cheaper than direct from MS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Apologies about my prior post, did not read the charter. Just stuck my oar in quickly. My bad, done my penance now.

For creating bootable USB I use Rufus, great little widget. You can find it at the link below.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Advertisement