Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do I go from here?

Options
  • 14-07-2015 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭

Hi all, 1st time in this section of boards that I remember.

Any way its time to upgrade a bit, no particular reason just got maybe €250 to €350 to send that direction.

present spec is as below:

[IMG][/img]puter_zps1fmb18ck.jpg

As the title suggests, what should I invest in?

Is that enough info?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Mech1

Oh by the way, I have a Gopro hero4 so maybe video encoding speedup would be of most benifit.

This is nearly useless I hear, but anyway:

[IMG][/img]exp_zps9ytjf09i.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

S1155 i7 would be the best upgrade for encoding, but a new one is almost €300, your call if it's worth it. Overclocking the CPU would have a good impact too.

Your GPUs are freaking ancient, for gaming, selling them and getting an R9 290/390 or a GTX 970 would be a phenomenal upgrade.

An SSD is always nice if you haven't got one

S1155 i7 would be the best upgrade for encoding, but a new one is almost €300, your call if it's worth it. Overclocking the CPU would have a good impact too.

Your GPUs are freaking ancient, for gaming, selling them and getting an R9 290/390 or a GTX 970 would be a phenomenal upgrade.

An SSD is always nice if you haven't got one

Did you even read the info? 2xSSD already!:D

Anyway gotta make a call between graphics or processor then?

• Advertisement

Missed the drives section. Add a third. MOAR SSDS.

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-HD-4870-X2-vs-GeForce-GTX-970

No comparison.

The two i7s worth looking at are the i7 2600 and i7 3770 and benchmarks tell me they aren't a huge step up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Do you game much? Would your video encoding software use gpu acceleration/benefit from it? If yes/yes a modern gpu might be the way to go.

If no/no maybe monitor upgrade (depends if your happy with the current one), ram (4GB current?) and a cooler to overclock the cpu?

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Do you game much? Would your video encoding software use gpu acceleration/benefit from it? If yes/yes a modern gpu might be the way to go.

If no/no maybe monitor upgrade (depends if your happy with the current one), ram (4GB current?) and a cooler to overclock the cpu?

Not into gaming, would like a 4k monitor, gopro encoding is probably more processor / ram needy. Gopro is capable of recording and playback of 4k but my machine isnt.

Thinking on it now my budget just isnt gonna cut it.:(

It's heavily CPU intensive. I'd say put €50-60 towards a serious fan, and €30 towards 4gb RAM.

Overclock the crap out of the CPU, see if theres a good performance increase.

If it's still not enough, you could upgrade to an i7 and a new motherboard for €400-420, bring your cooler with it and overclock the crap out of it.

If that's still not enough, you're going to want to start looking at professional pricing.

And if this is not the best, or even a good, course of action Lu Tze will hopefully shoot this down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

More RAM unless I am reading it wrong. Says single channel. Unless it changes when you change to the other stick of RAM in pull down menu.

just found this online:

Minimum System Requirements for 4K Editing and Playback

Question

What are the requirements to be able to playback and edit a 4k video on my computer?

Where does it apply?

HERO4

Answer

Here are the minimum system requirements for PC and Mac for 4K edit/playback based on processor and graphics chip manufacturer's websites.

Integrated Graphics solutions that support 4K external displays (8GB RAM recommended with integrated graphics solutions):

4th generation Intel® Core™ processor family (Intel Haswell based CPUs) - (Intel® Iris™ Pro Graphics 5200 / Intel® Iris™ Graphics 5100, Intel® HD Graphics 5000 / 4600 / 4400 / 4200)
    AMD A10-7800 APU

Discrete Graphics cards that support 4K external displays:

Nvidia GeForce
    GeForce® GTX™ 970
    GeForce® GTX™ 980
    GeForce® GTX™ TITAN Z
    GeForce® GTX™ TITAN Black
    GeForce® GTX™ TITAN
    GeForce® GTX™ 780 & 780 Ti
    GeForce® GTX™ 770
    GeForce® GTX™ 760 & 760 Ti
    GeForce® GTX™ 750 & 750 Ti
    GeForce® GTX™ 690, 680, 670, 660, 660 Ti, 650, 650 Ti BOOST, 650 Ti
    AMD Radeon™ HD 7000 Series or better

Other things to consider:

You need to have a monitor which is capable of playing back 4K video if you want to properly play 4K.
    Even if your computer meets the requirements, you may find that 4K video plays back choppy. This is due to the immense processing power required to play 4K.

Oh Dear..... I think ive got to think it out again!:D

More RAM unless I am reading it wrong. Says single channel. Unless it changes when you change to the other stick of RAM in pull down menu.

only one stick in there, one free slot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Third party CPU cooler and overclock the crap out of that CPU. Not worth upgrading unless you're doing fairly heavy crunching, an overclocked 2500K is still very powerful.

Whatever you're doing may benefit from an Nvidia card, but only you can answer that. 4870X2 is a very power hungry and currently poor performing card - wonder why you bought it in the first place actually? It would only ever have been worth it as a gaming card. A gTX750 will support 4K and only costs about €110 delivered from Amazon.

ok gotta track to follow now, 1st off im gonna double the memory up to 8G. Then join in on the over clockers forum on here to try to get some info on how to sort my processor. Meantime saving a few more dollars i can get a GTX970 maybe next month.

Good plan?

Mech1 wrote: »
    ok gotta track to follow now, 1st off im gonna double the memory up to 8G. Then join in on the over clockers forum on here to try to get some info on how to sort my processor. Meantime saving a few more dollars i can get a GTX970 maybe next month.

Good plan?

Are you gaming with it? If not kinda wasting your money on a 970. Do you really need to display 4k? Do you have a 4k monitor?

Are you gaming with it? If not kinda wasting your money on a 970. Do you really need to display 4k? Do you have a 4k monitor?

No not gaming per say, but I always like to be capable of if I decide to, I know, strange, but I also gotta keep my 15yr old son in awe of what I (my pc) can do. its not all ps4.

On the subject of 4k how good is that gopro at capturing 4k video.(I don't know much about them but if it's anything like phones then the 4k will be a low FPS and low detail. Where by capturing at a lower HD resolution will be much better detail.

no 4k monitor but getting a 4k TV very soon, it sits beside my pc.

• Advertisement

On the subject of 4k how good is that gopro at capturing 4k video.(I don't know much about them but if it's anything like phones then the 4k will be a low FPS and low detail. Where by capturing at a lower HD resolution will be much better detail.

From what I have seen and read its very good. 4k @ 30 fps

I suppose so overclock the hell of that 2500k, should be fairly easy as they have the unlocked multiplier. Get the extra 4GB stick of RAM, try and get the exact same stick as is in already(you don't have to but they run better if they are the same.) Since you are getting a 4K tv then you may as well get the 970.

Overclocking is easy, look up a generic tutorial online. The forum here is basically dead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Why may as well get the GTX970??

If you're simply displaying 4K and editing, there is no real advantage of the GTX970 over say a GTX750 or 750Ti. Unless you're using software that benefits from more CUDA cores.

Or unless you're gaming either of course, but you seem to have ruled that out.

It would be a shame to throw away money that could be used to make a real difference relative to your actual demands.

Ok 1st step complete, bought and installed another 4G stick.

showing benifits already:

Last nights info pics

[IMG][/img]exp_zps9ytjf09i.jpg

[IMG][/img]puter_zps1fmb18ck.jpg

And tonights:

[IMG][/img]info.jpg

[IMG][/img]exp2_1.jpg

So onwards towards the overclocking, any advise?

I dont know how the extra RAM helped my Graphics score, but it did!

Mech1 wrote: »

So onwards towards the overclocking, any advise?

Just look up guides online and follow them, fairly easy to do.

Though I cannot help you in more detail as I never owned the same CPU as you. Though they are all fairly similar to do now a days.

Advertisement