Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concrete posts too high

Options
  • 14-07-2015 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

I got a job done in my garden recently which involved replacing wooden posts with concrete posts. The existing fence panels were put back in place. The concrete posts are about 5 or 6 inches higher than the fence panels. There is no concrete base. Not sure about how it looks and wondering is there any way around it...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

A concrete slab between each post will keep the fences off the ground, and enable you to strim etc without damaging them. I would suggest leaving them as they are until they need replacing, then add a concrete slab and get shorter fences. Wooden fence panels tend to be fairly flexible and you could easily disassemble, remove a few inches from the top or bottom and reassemble. Dont try and cut the concrete fence posts though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

homer911 wrote: »
    A concrete slab between each post will keep the fences off the ground, and enable you to strim etc without damaging them. I would suggest leaving them as they are until they need replacing, then add a concrete slab and get shorter fences. Wooden fence panels tend to be fairly flexible and you could easily disassemble, remove a few inches from the top or bottom and reassemble. Dont try and cut the concrete fence posts though!

The posts should be installed to take account of panel type, heights etc and finish neat (ideally flush). A 6" variance is sloppy work but can be rectified by cutting the post. There is no problem to cut a fence post (consaw) but ideally one would cut the bottom end not the feathered top.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

The bottom end is completely immersed in loads of concrete so cutting the bottom is pretty much out of the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

There are other options, could you post a picture, or give more details of what's against the fence, eg path/ gravel/ soil/ plants/ other

Advertisement