Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is 22K a year, a decent wage in Dublin ?

Options
  • 14-07-2015 11:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

I'm just curious as I see a lot of jobs in Dublin advertised for around 20-25K per year in Dublin. That doesn't sound like to much, so is it a good wage to live on or not ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Its ok if you have Daddy and Mammy looking after bills and stuff, but on your own things would be pretty tight

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moved to Dublin City.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

Not good, no - barely liveable. You would definitely have to flat-share and commute by foot or bike...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Depends on your living arrangements and other commitments.

You're looking at take-home of about €1,500 per month, give or take, so a house share in a less than salubrious area could cost about €500 in rent, plus whatever bills, say another €150 per month, I reckon a single person could get by on about €50 a week groceries, so that's outgoings of about €850p/m, leaving you with approximately €650 per month disposable.

Could you live on that? Factor in either car running or transport to work costs, and you could be down under €500 per month disposable.

Do you smoke? Go out much? Eat out much? Can you cook? Are you prepared to rigidly bring a packed lunch every day? Those days where you don't, you could end up spending a tenner a day without even realising.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It's not great but its more than liveable, a friend of mine got by on 19000 for a year and got a paybump to 21000 this year and seems happy enough but has not major costs in his life. No debts, no family, house shares for about 400 a month and accepts he got a good deal, commutes to work by bike he picked up second hand.

21,000 in Dublin, you'll get by, have a few pints but how liveable it is depends on how you spend the leftover, my friend goes out a few times a week but isn't a big drinker and tells me he puts a bit aside every month for the future so its not terrible, its just not great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

20K - 25K is decent enough to live on in Dublin, but you'll have to make some sacrifices in terms of standard of housing (a decent apartment will set you back €1000 a month unless you share it with someone) and the kind of leisure time you have (you can't go out every week or travel abroad).

• Registered Users Posts: 21 rocheyy

I have moved to dublin and im paying €650 a month for a room! Back in tipp i was paying €200 a month for a room! Between bills groceries car and so on its roughly €900 a month and i head out most weekends so thats another €100 each night so ya you'd defo survive and enjoy yourself easily on that money!

rocheyy wrote: »
    I have moved to dublin and im paying €650 a month for a room! Back in tipp i was paying €200 a month for a room! Between bills groceries car and so on its roughly €900 a month and i head out most weekends so thats another €100 each night so ya you'd defo survive and enjoy yourself easily on that money!

You can get rooms for much less than that, you could walk or cycle instead of drive (potentially). I have often went out for less than 100 a night, not difficult at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 rocheyy

CramCycle wrote: »
    You can get rooms for much less than that, you could walk or cycle instead of drive (potentially). I have often went out for less than 100 a night, not difficult at all.

O i know that i was just giving an example! I actually cycle and walk everywhere anyway but i need a car as i travel alot and need to drive for work! €100 on a night out is about average i would think but im sure people could manage €50!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Not decent but livable, after all people work on min wage here and that's less than 18k. You will get most of the money as little tax is taken from those amounts, maybe 15%.

• Advertisement

rocheyy wrote: »
    O i know that i was just giving an example! I actually cycle and walk everywhere anyway but i need a car as i travel alot and need to drive for work! €100 on a night out is about average i would think but im sure people could manage €50!

Surely your company pay for your petrol or mileage?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Try to keep you rent to 25% max 30% of your net pay, if that is not possible then I'd say things will be tight

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭tradhead

It's not what I would call decent, but it's do-able.

I pay about €500/ month for bills (a bit more in winter when the gas bill is sky high cos my stupid house isn't insulated properly!) in a 3-bed house that's near enough to work.

I get the bus in the morning and walk home in about half an hour. Subsidised canteen in work helps matters, but I try to bring lunch with me when I can. I'd say €50 if even on groceries per week, €20 a month on the phone and that's about it really.

I'm managing to save a bit too as hoping to emigrate next year. Although I don't go out every weekend (maybe once a month) so that would obviously bring costs up a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Camiliea

What kind of life are you all talking about?
    Ok, maybe 18K per year isn't that much, it's min wage and it's pretty tight. But around 23-24k a year, oh dear, of course it's decent.
    There are some issues about housing/renting around Dublin City - I saw prices, ridiculous. I agree.
    But, are you spending 100e per night, seriously? And it is average? Jeez, guys, how many pints you have to drink for that price?!

To be honest, 23-24k per year is fine. If you are reasonable person, with goals in your life, then it's enough to save something and travel (believe me or not, I know what I'm saying about :) ).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭uli84

I'd call it decent only if you can't get a job with this salary anywhere else in the country. The cost of living in Dublin is way higher than anywhere else while the salaries are pretty much the same..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I managed on 12000 net in Dublin a few years ago. have always been in Dublin city centre but have maybe been lucky with rent, haven't paid more than 450 pm.

For the past two years have been on 18000 net and managed to save up quite a lot. living in the city centre, work in town so cycle to work, I'm not a mad drinker but do eat out a good bit. I think 22 - 25 is very manageable, just depends on how lucky you are with rent and if you have a bit of cop on about your spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭FreeFallin

Camiliea wrote: »
    But, are you spending 100e per night, seriously? And it is average? Jeez, guys, how many pints you have to drink for that price?!

My thoughts exactly. Going out and all that goes with it is great, but I urge anyone on 20-25k a year (or even double that) not to spend €100 a week on it.

Half it and you'd have €2600 extra at the end of the year to save, buy a car, invest etc. I know €100 was a ballpark, but spending anything in the region of 20% of take hoke pay on nights out is crazy to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

€22k is totally manageable so long as you're a reasonably responsible person.

You'll have to house share and keep to a budget, but other than that no problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Certainly manageable, needs a little planning and forethought. Impulse buys would be a big no no. You'd still get a few nights out a month. It's still a ways away from being decent, for example you couldn't save a deposit, nor pay a mortgage or raise a family on it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

its a survivable wage, but not a 'decent' wage

• Advertisement
Advertisement