Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone locate me by tracking my mobile?

• 15-07-2015 3:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭

Hi lads long story short I've been getting alot of hang up calls with withheld Id.
    Parents house getting them alot as well.
    I kind of have a good idea who this might be & its someone I really dont want locating my address.

Anyway,only last night the horrible thought
    occured to me that someone might be able to type my mobile number somewhere into a website & get my exact location that way.
    Surely this isn't possible?

My phone is android, wcdma/gsm but the area where I live has a woeful signal/data connection

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

Hi lads long story short I've been getting alot of hang up calls with withheld Id.
    Parents house getting them alot as well.
    I kind of have a good idea who this might be & its someone I really dont want locating my address.

Anyway,only last night the horrible thought
    occured to me that someone might be able to type my mobile number somewhere into a website & get my exact location that way.
    Surely this isn't possible?

My phone is android, wcdma/gsm but the area where I live has a woeful signal/data connection

Thanks

If using social media like twitter, google+ and facebook turn off share location when updating your status. Same goes for any other apps that might grab your location like when taking photos this information is stored as part of the image file.

I'm not aware of websites that provide location information based on your mobile number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,816 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

or better again, dont ever use social media sites. could just well be a lot of cold calling ****e. i dont answer calls from numbers i dont know or blocked numbers. people will leave a message if they want to contact you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Viber, by default, sends your location with every message. You have to turn it off for each conversation.Usually social network sites will ask before sharing your location. The exception is Google - if you have an Android phone it stores your location history. You can see everywhere you've ever been. So if someone hacks into your google account or guesses your password they might be able to track you. You can and should disable that "feature":

https://support.google.com/gmm/answer/3118687?hl=en

I've never heard of the kind of website you mentioned. In theory something like that could exist if a skilled hacker or someone using brute force or password guessing hacks a load of Google Accounts and uploads copies of the users location history to a public site - the identity would be your Google Account rather than phone number. I'm not trying to worry you because it's extremely unlikely but best to disable your location history with the above link just in case.

Of course if someone guesses your Google password they might be able to re-enable location history (I'm not sure if they need access to your phone to do this) so make sure your Google password is secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

Ok lads I want to thank you all for that info.

Never had interest in social media sites so not on them. I guess I have a Google+ acc on the basis that I have an android phone but I never remember setting it up or anything so ill guess I'll try logging in to it from a computer sometime to see if theres anything about me on it.

No, judging from what's said I don't believe it can be done expect by a real wizard. Obviously emergency services or Gardai can do this but thats ok as long as joe soap can't do it .

I have google maps etc so I know my phone has its location setting turned on so I'll just go into setting etc & switch it off for a while.

Thank lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭pah

So to answer the OP's question, No you can't be tracked.

Advertisement