Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to rent in Dublin for Blanchardstown job with our cats?

Options
  • 15-07-2015 8:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

My husband is most likely starting a new job near Blanchardstown in a few months. We have been living in Belfast since last September. We moved here as international expats. Me, American and him Dutch. We were able to find a house in South Belfast that took our 2 cats and it was a nightmare. I am facing this again, and wondering which part to look in?

I know it will be Hades on earth again, but they are our family. We ADORE our cats and will never get rid of them, so that is not an option.My question is two fold, where to rent that is safe and where will is best to find a pets allowed rental. Our budget is 1000-1100, but might push to 1150. He wants to live in Dublin and we may or may not get a car. We are fine with a one bedroom. I am on Daft.ie everyday, I really want to hear some viewpoints from locals.

I have been thinking of Swords, and Dublin 1,2,4,6,6w, and parts of 8.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

Why not look in Blanchardstown? Or Clonee? Or do you want to live close to the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 azaliarazor

I am unsure of how safe Blanchardstown would be. I also am not so sure about living where the biggest mall is. This sounds all too familiar with a problem in USA I had where huge malls are. It keeps prices sky high and makes traffic a nightmare. Yes, he has said he would like to live near city. If we live in sky high prices, I would rather be in Dublin for that. LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I am unsure of how safe Blanchardstown would be. I also am not so sure about living where the biggest mall is. This sounds all too familiar with a problem in USA I had where huge malls are. It keeps prices sky high and makes traffic a nightmare. Yes, he has said he would like to live near city. If we live in sky high prices, I would rather be in Dublin for that. LOL.

Blanchardstown is fine, its not a mall place, trust me, same prices as anywhere else in Dublin - its probably cheaper than City centre to be honest!

Fieldog wrote: »
    Blanchardstown is fine, its not a mall place, trust me, same prices as anywhere else in Dublin - its probably cheaper than City centre to be honest!

Does it have a village?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Does it have a village?

Yes, Blanchardstown has a village with restaurants, bars, supermarkets etc.

• Advertisement

It will be on my list of places to check out. I do know he said he wanted to really try to live in Dublin. I was able to find right part of Belfast for us and now I am hoping to find right part of Dublin. Dublin 2 would be really cool, but I was thinking maybe 6 or 8 instead. He will be at work, and I can't till I get a residence card and also I won't be driving so I am hoping for somewhere with ability to walk to most stores, cafes and pubs.

You're going to be limited with your options because of the cats. You're also looking at higher rents the closer you are to the city.

Blanchardstown is a nice area with reasonable enough rents and good transport links.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Look on daft.ie there are a few places one beds/two beds within your budget. The centre is great to have on your door step not to mention the national equatics centre and all the Parks around the area. Best of luck

P.s. You can get a bus into the city centre or thé train from clonsilla station

Taboola wrote: »
    You're going to be limited with your options because of the cats. You're also looking at higher rents the closer you are to the city.

Blanchardstown is a nice area with reasonable enough rents and good transport links.

Yes, I know it will change but as of today, I found pets allowed rentals in 1, 7, 8, and Swords only. That is, ones in our budget. I check each day to see what new ones might come out. Surprisingly to me, 1 and Swords have the most so far.

One more thing, his work will offer a shuttle bus from city center to his job if we choose to do that, we would put off car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

How about Dublin 7 along the 37/39 bus routes to Blanchardstown.

• Advertisement

Lux23 wrote: »
    How about Dublin 7 along the 37/39 bus routes to Blanchardstown.

What is name of area? Does it have a village area or main street?

Yes, I know it will change but as of today, I found pets allowed rentals in 1, 7, 8, and Swords only. That is, ones in our budget. I check each day to see what new ones might come out. Surprisingly to me, 1 and Swords have the most so far.

One more thing, his work will offer a shuttle bus from city center to his job if we choose to do that, we would put off car.

I don't think Swords would be an easy commute to Blanchardstown without a car.

What is name of area? Does it have a village area or main street?

There's a few different areas in Dublin 7. Navan Road, Smithfield, Cabra, Phibsborogh.

There aren't many villages in Dublin. In fact the only place I can think of at the top of my head that have them are Blanchardstown, Dundrum, Finglas and Swords.

I don't think Swords would be an easy commute to Blanchardstown without a car.

Yes, if we do Swords, we would get a car. If we go too far we would get one. Paypal has a discounted shuttle, so we would skip a car if we got a place near that.

There's a few different areas in Dublin 7. Navan Road, Smithfield, Cabra, Phibsborogh.

There aren't many villages in Dublin. In fact the only place I can think of at the top of my head that have them are Blanchardstown, Dundrum, Finglas and Swords.

Ah, maybe village is wrong word? I just mean an area where you can find all you need in close walking distance but also has places to live close by.

I should know for certain in a few days, I am on hold with specific places till then. There was one in 7 allowing pets I found, but I am sure it might be gone by move date. I have an alert set up for it.

Have you been to Dublin before? I suggest coming for a visit and looking at the areas you were thinking of moving to. What might be walking distance for me might not be walking distance for you.

Have you been to Dublin before? I suggest coming for a visit and looking at the areas you were thinking of moving to. What might be walking distance for me might not be walking distance for you.

We were there for a week a year ago. We stayed in Temple Bar area and walked over to Jamesons and around a park and local area. We will be renting a car and driving down to look at areas soon. This was one reason for thread to make a list of places and areas to check out.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ciaradx

I would add Stoneybatter to that list, great area with good bus routes. The main part of it is called 'Manor Street' with all shops etc..(which I think is what OP is really looking for rather than a 'village'??)

ciaradx wrote: »
    I would add Stoneybatter to that list, great area with good bus routes. The main part of it is called 'Manor Street' with all shops etc..(which I think is what OP is really looking for rather than a 'village'??)
    Yes, thanks, that does sound like one I should add to list too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 lissaH

I live in Belfast now and used live in Dublin and have a cat. Had an apartment in Leixlip that allowed my cat. Its a 25 min train from City centre and about a 15 minute drive to Blanch. Belfast is far far smaller than Dublin so areas are not so much walking distance as they are in Belfast. If your looking for an area similar to S Belfast Lisburn road feel your best bet is Ranelagh but the rents are WAY higher than you would pay anywhere in Belfast and I would say you will have to downgrade in size a lot. I would stay on the outskirts Lucan, Blanch , Clonee and Ongar is quite nice. There are few areas around Blanch that are not the best and Ongar would be quite nice.

• Advertisement

lissaH wrote: »
    I live in Belfast now and used live in Dublin and have a cat. Had an apartment in Leixlip that allowed my cat. Its a 25 min train from City centre and about a 15 minute drive to Blanch. Belfast is far far smaller than Dublin so areas are not so much walking distance as they are in Belfast. If your looking for an area similar to S Belfast Lisburn road feel your best bet is Ranelagh but the rents are WAY higher than you would pay anywhere in Belfast and I would say you will have to downgrade in size a lot. I would stay on the outskirts Lucan, Blanch , Clonee and Ongar is quite nice. There are few areas around Blanch that are not the best and Ongar would be quite nice.

I am from USA, in a Philly suburb so was not sure if it would be similar. Philly is large city but has areas that have their own main areas in each. Like Avenue of the Arts or Rittenhouse square versus Manayunk or Old City. Someone not from Philly would have no clue, but I know which streets of which parts are where you would want to be. That is somewhat what I am going for, good insider info from locals that know where is best to be.

TBH, I have found places all over in our budget. One bedroom is fine, we have three here and 2 just go unused. His parents want to try a hotel from now on since it would feel more like a vacation for them, so no reason for extra room to clean, heat or pay for. Our place in Netherlands was small and we were fine. My biggest issue is finding some areas and hoping for a pet friendly one to pop up in one, I really am hoping to generate a list, drive down and see a bunch, and then pick ones we like and take it from there. We stayed in temp place while searching here, but cats were in NL then, this time we will have hold our Belfast place too till we find our Dublin place. It's complicated but it can be done. This is a much better job op and so we think it will be worth it. I did find a place around Mabbott Lane, is that an okay area?

Mabbott lane is around Connelly. I hated being around that area at night to be honest Its where a lot of the herione addicts hang about and once winter comes in when its dark at 5 or 6 I used take the bus to Leixlip rather than the Train just to avoid walking about the area.

Dublin Def has areas like your talking about in Philly. I particular like Chapilizod Its really nice around there but still pretty close to the city centre, I would look ranelagh or rathmines. Islandbridge is nice enough as well. Lived in the old chocolate factory apartments beside the Hilton in Kilmainagham for awhile. People without a doubt had cats they used walk them around the apartment blocks but weather they told the estate agent is beyond me. I would look it up though the apartments are fab on the luas line even walk able if you wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Swords is generally a nice area, I think it has more of a community feel than areas closer to the city and to me that would be worth the commute (30-45 minutes on a bus to the city centre depending on time of day). If you want to be closer to Blanchardstown, what about somewhere like Castleknock?

It's worth noting that some landlords don't specifically say "pets allowed" but are willing to judge on a case by case basis.

Mabbott lane is around Connelly. I hated being around that area at night to be honest Its where a lot of the herione addicts hang about and once winter comes in when its dark at 5 or 6 I used take the bus to Leixlip rather than the Train just to avoid walking about the area.

Dublin Def has areas like your talking about in Philly. I particular like Chapilizod Its really nice around there but still pretty close to the city centre, I would look ranelagh or rathmines. Islandbridge is nice enough as well. Lived in the old chocolate factory apartments beside the Hilton in Kilmainagham for awhile. People without a doubt had cats they used walk them around the apartment blocks but weather they told the estate agent is beyond me. I would look it up though the apartments are fab on the luas line even walk able if you wanted.

Cool, do you have a name? Okay, I was wondering about Mabbott from google map search I could not say for sure. Do people do that? I would be afraid to get evicted. I have 2, my kitties love the window sills, so I would think that would be obvious to someone.

OP. If your husband is starting work near blachardstowny why not look in Dublin 15 ?

Swords is generally a nice area, I think it has more of a community feel than areas closer to the city and to me that would be worth the commute (30-45 minutes on a bus to the city centre depending on time of day). If you want to be closer to Blanchardstown, what about somewhere like Castleknock?

It's worth noting that some landlords don't specifically say "pets allowed" but are willing to judge on a case by case basis.

Yes, I am curious about that. Some estate agents here tried to talk us out of asking, including my LL now, who said yes. I do no to skip the ones that say NO for sure. Oddly I found 3 places sooooooooooooo far over my budget around 3000 euros a month that are pet friendly, if I had that, I would just buy a house!

There called Kilmainham square and your your looking arounf the £1100 to £1300 area I just rented a room there. A lot of people dont say to the estate agent about cats. Are they noisey? Its prob best say it to them. Cats are so clean and quite I think its more dogs are a problem.

OP. If your husband is starting work near blachardstowny why not look in Dublin 15 ?

Blanchardstown is on my list, I would want to be in Swords if not Blanchardstown or Dublin most likley. I have yet to find a place in Blanchardstown for pets, I have found 1 in 7, 2 in Swords, 2 in 1, and 1 in 8. I know they will change but so far that is what I found.

There called Kilmainham square and your your looking arounf the £1100 to £1300 area I just rented a room there. A lot of people dont say to the estate agent about cats. Are they noisey? Its prob best say it to them. Cats are so clean and quite I think its more dogs are a problem.

They are pretty quiet. He might meow when feeding time comes. She is tiny around 9 pounds and he might be 12, so really won't bother anyone. My husband is crazy neat freak so boxes are always done. My LL here said he saw how much we loved them and knew it would be fine. It cost us 950 euros to bring them from NL. He would give up new job before them in a heartbeat.

I shall add that area to list too.

• Advertisement

Most importantly OP if you can prove you can afford a place and have a very good reference from your landlord add in also that you can pay two months security deposit .... Your chances will be better

Advertisement