Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to rent in Dublin for Blanchardstown job with our cats?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I am unsure of how safe Blanchardstown would be. I also am not so sure about living where the biggest mall is. This sounds all too familiar with a problem in USA I had where huge malls are. It keeps prices sky high and makes traffic a nightmare. Yes, he has said he would like to live near city. If we live in sky high prices, I would rather be in Dublin for that. LOL.

Dublin is a very different animal to the US. The vast majority of Blanch is fine. D1 would be the highest crime rate in Dublin. D8 encompasses an area ranging from some of the most deprived to some of the most affluent in the city. You really need to visit areas and see what they're like.

Look at private landlords rather than agencies that are almost never going to make work for themselves.

ciaradx wrote: »
    I would add Stoneybatter to that list, great area with good bus routes. The main part of it is called 'Manor Street' with all shops etc..(which I think is what OP is really looking for rather than a 'village'??)

My only concern with Stoneybatter is if the OP is squeamish about getting on with the locals. I lived a stones throw (excuse the pun) from there and loved it but you have to be willing to put up with the local element. There would be junkies, drunks, kids from the D8 area over the river and the occasional hooker, none of which will give you the slightest bit of bother if you don't bother them.

The proper locals in that area are a delight and there are some great pubs up there, and some that are a dodgy as...

• Registered Users Posts: 39 azaliarazor

My only concern with Stoneybatter is if the OP is squeamish about getting on with the locals. I lived a stones throw (excuse the pun) from there and loved it but you have to be willing to put up with the local element. There would be junkies, drunks, kids from the D8 area over the river and the occasional hooker, none of which will give you the slightest bit of bother if you don't bother them.

The proper locals in that area are a delight and there are some great pubs up there, and some that are a dodgy as...

I have some bums here on Ormeau Road, drunks too with sports and pubs, but junkies and hookers is not appealing. I love people and have no problem talking to almost anyone, as long as it is safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I've lived in Blanchardstown for 11 years now, originally from a small town so wouldn't live anywhere I didn't feel safe. Yes the centre is there but the only issue with that can be weekend traffic. Not a big inconvenience imo.

The key to finding pet friendly is look at houses not apartments. Pets are not permitted in the vast majority of apartment dwellings. It's in the purchase legal documents signed by the owners so it's generally not a rule that can be changed or adapted for tenants.

Dublin is a very different animal to the US. The vast majority of Blanch is fine. D1 would be the highest crime rate in Dublin. D8 encompasses an area ranging from some of the most deprived to some of the most affluent in the city. You really need to visit areas and see what they're like.

Look at private landlords rather than agencies that are almost never going to make work for themselves.

Yes, I have no love lost for estate agents in Belfast. They were all but one mostly a bunch of rude <SNIP>. Cost me a ton of money on taxis and they don't show up.

We have never been a day late and sure our LL would be able to attest to it. He is nice and even gave us a bottle of wine for Christmas. We paid a double deposit here for cats, so we will have our cash for next place as well.

• Advertisement

I have some bums here on Ormeau Road, drunks too with sports and pubs, but junkies and hookers is not appealing. I love people and have no problem talking to almost anyone, as long as it is safe.

Junkies and hookers rules out every single area in Dublin city centre.

D1, D2, D3 is Junkie mecca thanks to the stupid city planning.
    D4 is prostitute alley down the canal in to D8 Also very expensive.
    D5 isn't really in the City and universally inconvenient for you.
    D6 is out of your (and my :P) price range
    D7 hookers and junkies until you practically get into D15
    D8 Junkies
    D9 Pass
    D10 Generally working class areas few issues but not city centre
    D11 Finglas et al, again some nice area some not but out of the city
    D12 etc all out of the city.

That's not to say those areas are bad, most are grand. The point I'm making is Dublin is a rough town. It's far from dangerous but many people chose to live out in the 'burbs to avoid the grime of innercity life.

athtrasna wrote: »
    I've lived in Blanchardstown for 11 years now, originally from a small town so wouldn't live anywhere I didn't feel safe. Yes the centre is there but the only issue with that can be weekend traffic. Not a big inconvenience imo.

The key to finding pet friendly is look at houses not apartments. Pets are not permitted in the vast majority of apartment dwellings. It's in the purchase legal documents signed by the owners so it's generally not a rule that can be changed or adapted for tenants.

Yes, I noticed that, but then I found a few apartments that do, so I guess some have a way of allowing it. We are willing for either house or apartment, my search is set up for all pet friendly rentals.

To be fair saying the vast majority of head leases don't allow pets is a bit misleading. I'd say the vast majority go specifically to nuisance by pets. Furthermore the many private LLs wouldn't even know they have a head lease.

Perhaps it's a more of a phenomenon in the modern areas like Blanch. The only thing I would look out for in Blanch is the build quality of many places is terrible.

Junkies and hookers rules out every single area in Dublin city centre.

D1, D2, D3 is Junkie mecca thanks to the stupid city planning.
    D4 is prostitute alley down the canal in to D8 Also very expensive.
    D5 isn't really in the City and universally inconvenient for you.
    D6 is out of your (and my :P) price range
    D7 hookers and junkies until you practically get into D15
    D8 Junkies
    D9 Pass
    D10 Generally working class areas few issues but not city centre
    D11 Finglas et al, again some nice area some not but out of the city
    D12 etc all out of the city.

That's not to say those areas are bad, most are grand. The point I'm making is Dublin is a rough town. It's far from dangerous but many people chose to live out in the 'burbs to avoid the grime of innercity life.

Ah, interesting to know. I will keep that in mind. I am afraid we might end up in a bad part due to our cats, so I guess it's good to know which directions to lean. He wants the city, I think it might be swell for a few months and then I would be sick of it. It's all an adventure and I am clueless in many respects. I shall keep building my list. One thing is for sure, our cats are inside cats, never laid a paw on a sidewalk or lawn. They will remain so wherever we end up.

Head Lease? What is that versus nuisance? My cats would be inside and pretty small and quiet so would some of them be okay if they don't say no pets?

• Advertisement

Apologies for the jargon.

Apartments are owned in Ireland (in 99.9% of cases) by leasehold. The 'owner' will have a lease usually of between 200 - 999 years. The terms of this lease is called the head lease.

A head lease might exclude pets, I know mine doesn't and I've seen quite a few that don't. Usually there is a clause about nuisance - barking dogs etc. If a LL lets where the head lease says no pets even if the lease he gives you say it's fine there can be issues but you're really getting into technical legal issues.

In area like Blanch I could see head leases possibly excluding pets as the area was thrown up at around the same time and by a limited number of developers. The other issue is many complexes out there are poorly soundproofed and poorly run. Obviously judge each on their own merits.

All that said, it's Ireland. The majority of people ignore the rules and very few places would enforce things.

You'll find somewhere. I wouldn't be without my moggy either. You'l have to excuse me I need to go and clear up some sick and empty the litter box :pac:

Ooops, sorry had no idea that was an actual cuss word. In US it is not. I will not say that again.

Apologies for the jargon.

Apartments are owned in Ireland (in 99.9% of cases) by leasehold. The 'owner' will have a lease usually of between 200 - 999 years. The terms of this lease is called the head lease.

A head lease might exclude pets, I know mine doesn't and I've seen quite a few that don't. Usually there is a clause about nuisance - barking dogs etc. If a LL lets where the head lease says no pets even if the lease he gives you say it's fine there can be issues but you're really getting into technical legal issues.

In area like Blanch I could see head leases possibly excluding pets as the area was thrown up at around the same time and by a limited number of developers. The other issue is many complexes out there are poorly soundproofed and poorly run. Obviously judge each on their own merits.

All that said, it's Ireland. The majority of people ignore the rules and very few places would enforce things.

You'll find somewhere. I wouldn't be without my moggy either. You'l have to excuse me I need to go and clear up some sick and empty the litter box :pac:

I am thinking of asking for copy of lease rules prior to viewings since any viewing will require a trip down from Belfast. I can't see why they would have a problem with that since it should be a matter of public record, right?

I am thinking of asking for copy of lease rules prior to viewings since any viewing will require a trip down from Belfast. I can't see why they would have a problem with that since it should be a matter of public record, right?

Other than the typical Irish reaction of why do they want to see that, what business is it of their's, OMG are they going to sue us etc.

I'd just go with what ever the LL says tbh.

Ooops, sorry had no idea that was an actual cuss word. In US it is not. I will not say that again.

You've lost me, but cussing is a national past time down here.

You've lost me, but cussing is a national past time down here.

The mod edited one of my posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

No chance of getting those. It's a landlord 's market and head leases are private legal documents.

Other than the typical Irish reaction of why do they want to see that, what business is it of their's, OMG are they going to sue us etc.

I'd just go with what ever the LL says tbh.

I was going to say that it is an expensive and time consuming trip to see apartments and so I would prefer close to final stages of selection and so I would like to do viewings of places that would be right fit and so fine print is needed to assure each viewing would be a viable location to rent.

Sorry, I had paralegal and titlework in my background. I don't assume anything unless it is in writing. I could go to a viewing and find out rent is being raised 25 percent in six months or some clause making me responsible for huge repairs. LOL. I am a bit type A.

No chance of getting those. It's a landlord 's market and head leases are private legal documents.

hmmm, maybe a paraphrase of final rules and fees for a potential tenant?

The mod edited one of my posts.

Ah see you'd get away with jerk which my understanding is a bit ruder in the US and means roughly the same thing :D

I'd focus on areas rather than postcodes.

If you want City D3 towards D5 is nice but a bit of a pain for Blanch. I think people have suggested going west out of the city - Chapleizod etc. also nice. Blanch is west.

Navan road, Stoneybatter but bear in mind the local element. D8 quays but again same element. D2 templebar but it's going to be noisy. Kilmainham/Inchicore is going to inconvenient for Blanch.

Honestly I'd seriously consider blanch/castleknock.

• Advertisement

They're not private to be fair and most leases would refer the tenant to them. While they may or may not be public record through the OMC, the OMC has an interest in making them available to tenants.

That said point taken ref landlords market and I'd advise the OP against requesting them and looking like trouble.

(OMC is Owners Management Company - kinda like a resident association in the US? They manage the complex anyway)

I was going to say that it is an expensive and time consuming trip to see apartments and so I would prefer close to final stages of selection and so I would like to do viewings of places that would be right fit and so fine print is needed to assure each viewing would be a viable location to rent.

Sorry, I had paralegal and titlework in my background. I don't assume anything unless it is in writing. I could go to a viewing and find out rent is being raised 25 percent in six months or some clause making me responsible for huge repairs. LOL. I am a bit type A.

Sorry I think I've got a bit too involved in this thread and given you a bum steer and got you worrying about things you don't need too.

I'd just go with the lease you're given tbh. It might refer back to the head lease that you could ask nicely for once you're in. Most places would have house rules somewhere in the lobby.

The tenancy would be subject to the Residential Tenancies Act 2004. So that's where you'll find your duties and obligations and that of the LL.

On viewings you'll have to move swiftly, there isn't much time to mull things over, apartments can go in a flash.

Ah see you'd get away with jerk which my understanding is a bit ruder in the US and means roughly the same thing :D

I'd focus on areas rather than postcodes.

If you want City D3 towards D5 is nice but a bit of a pain for Blanch. I think people have suggested going west out of the city - Chapleizod etc. also nice. Blanch is west.

Navan road, Stoneybatter but bear in mind the local element. D8 quays but again same element. D2 templebar but it's going to be noisy. Kilmainham/Inchicore is going to inconvenient for Blanch.

Honestly I'd seriously consider blanch/castleknock.

Is it that bad commuting if you have a car? Paypal offers a discounted shuttle right to work from center. I think it is ONLY from center so if you live closer you have to get their on your own. I am still searching but we think it will run about 80 euros a month for a bus ticket to work from blanchardstown to the business park. If shuttle is same, that puts center even with blanchardstown for commuting. We want car but want to wait if we can. U should add castleknock to the list too. Temple Bar sounds cool but he is Dutch and does not like Amersterdam so I think he would regret Temple Bar in a few months, I could be wrong, but he is no a big partier.

Cars and Dublin don't go very well together tbh.

Sorry I think I've got a bit too involved in this thread and given you a bum steer and got you worrying about things you don't need too.

I'd just go with the lease you're given tbh. It might refer back to the head lease that you could ask nicely for once you're in. Most places would have house rules somewhere in the lobby.

The tenancy would be subject to the Residential Tenancies Act 2004http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2004/en/act/pub/0027/. So that's where you'll find your duties and obligations and that of the LL.

On viewings you'll have to move swiftly, there isn't much time to mull things over, apartments can go in a flash.

I think when I say "lease" i don't mean the head lease, I mean the LL rules and fees. In Belfast we just have that. I only say that with estate agents since I have found here they have told me no way when I mention my cats and it caused problems doing viewings. I got this house because owner was here at viewing and heard agent tell me no ,and then stepped in and said maybe, which eventually became a yes. So, my concern is the agents ignoring my calls and telling me no, when owner might be okay with it. I guess it just makes it very hard to be honest upfront about cats.

Agents will definitely ignore you if there is anything slightly harder for them. At the risk of inuring Athtransna's wrath for my language they're lazy gits with as he/she rightly points out in a sellers market.

Private LLs (daft.ie mainly) have everything ready to go and deposits in cash.

Cars and Dublin don't go very well together tbh.

ah, okay, we would like to have one also for travel visit friends in Belfast, we would need to bring our cats. Are they allowed on train? We would wait a bit unless we move to Swords, then right away.

How is Swords? Are buildings good? I found 2 places which allow pets and both look nice.

Nice area from what I can gather bit like Blanch really but a bit older and further out. Big mall out there too though!

Train to Belfast is good, don't know about pets. We do have a car too but it's seldom used. Rush hour is a nightmare, CC to Blanch used to be especially bad, I used to live there, not too bad now.

Our beloved kitties do make it fun. I thought I read no cats on train, but I am checking to see. It's a 2 hours ride I could put them in a carrier at my feet but if not allowed, car for sure. Can you take trains to Galway and Cork, we thought a car would be cool for that too.

Back OT, Okay so I am confused, does Blanchardstown( what a mouthful ) have old bad buildings like someone said? Does Swords if older? Why do some say Blanch is full of old council buildings? Is this true, I read in one of your other threads here. Where is good area of Blanch versus bad if so? Is same true for Swords?

This house were are in Belfast feels ancient. Windows leak, fireplaces leaks air too, furnished is UGLY, but we deal, places I have seen in Dublin mostly look newer. I also feel like Dublin is a bit more globalized than Belfast, am I wrong? We took this one because new ones here a few and way expensive, so how bad is bad, when you say bad?

Did I just make your brain explode? Sorry, only answer what you want if too much. I am at point it is 100pm and wine in fridge is sounding pretty good right now.

I should go through this thread and make a running list of places thus far suggested.

• Advertisement

Old buildings = Good
    Old council buildings = even better

Blanchardstown grew up in the days of the celtic tiger and was essentially a load of timber frames thrown up as quickly as possible. My brother in law loves the place but has had 3 sales fall through so far on relatively new builds (under 20 years) due to all sorts of building/plumbing issues. Not really your problem as a tenant though.

The issue you'll have is in apartments the soundproofing in general in Ireland is dire. Blanch and the surrounding areas, Clonee, Ongar etc are probably no better or worse than modern builds in other places apart from you have to bear in mind the sheer amount of building that went on at the same time in a place that wasn't even really Dublin (parts of it where co. Meath).

That said it's pretty good value out there for houses I'd be a bit circumspect about apartments.

Belfast is beautiful but would have had significant issues 10/20 years ago possibly more through reputation. Dublin, and sorry in advance to anyone's back I get up with this, could be categorised as a developing nation until the Celtic tiger IMHO. We certainly don't have the developed infrastructure that the UK does. So yes many parts are newer. Places that had horrible reputations are settled now and quite nice (I live in Kilbarrack and love it). You will find huge areas of ex council estates - Not so much in Blanch I thought - they're generally very well built. I live on a new build on the end of a council row, the neighbours could set up a Disco and I'd never hear it.

Advertisement