Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to rent in Dublin for Blanchardstown job with our cats?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭JackHeuston

I'm so sorry but I can't read the whole thread. It took my attention though since you're talking about Blanchardstown and also the city center.

I currently live right in front of the Blanchardstown mall. Traffic is terrible only on Saturday, while on weekdays is... just fine I guess. Don't expect empty roads of course, but it flows pretty smoothly maybe a tad under the speed limit. I commute every day with my car to Dublin 8, Guinness Storehouse area, and it takes me from 30 to 40 minutes depending on traffic lights etc... The worst part is when you get in Dublin and you have to cross the Liffey.

The mall as said makes a lot of traffic (like, standing in the same exact spot for 10+ minutes) only on Saturdays and usually after 11am-12pm, which it makes it hard to even get out of my place, but if you commute to work on weekdays you won't see too many shoppers going there at the time you leave your house / arrive. It's fine though since on Saturday I have no reason to go to Dublin and if I need anything I can just walk to the mall. Actually, there are several malls, all in that area, it's like a capitalistfest :D

Some noises by stupid kids with their cars because of the restaurants in the area that closes late, but nothing too bad about it. And if you're looking for a house, you won't be that close to the mall.

Before moving to Blanchardstown I lived in Dublin 8. In Church Avenue South, and then near Cork Street. I also park on a daily basis on James's Walk near Rialto. Church Avenue was fine but the area was very rough. Groups of people drinking beer outside at 9am, streets are terrible, kids going around damaging cars, etc... James's Walk with the Herberton Apartments is a bit better but I don't think you'd like living there. I think it's more for college students, lots of noise during the night, but it's safer than 100 meters down the road.

In Cork Street it was fine, safe too, I wouldn't call it a very nice place to live in but it was ok for the ~8 months I was there.

And in Dublin 8 there are also better places than these ones, so you see, stuff changes a lot in that area, it's better to go there and see for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Sorry Jack it turned into a bit of chin wag with me and the OP.

+1 on everything you've said. I lived in D15 and D8 (pretty much the areas you've mentioned). Good to see the commute has calmed down a bit. I remember before the James Joyce Bridge getting in was an absolute nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 azaliarazor

List I have so far. Thanks for all input.
    Sorry, I am a bit of a talker.

Blanch
    Clonee
    Navan Road
    Smithfield
    Cabra
    Phibsboro
    Stoneybatter--Manor Street
    Lucan
    Ongar
    Chapilizod
    Ranelagh
    Rathmines
    Islandbridge
    Swords
    Kilmainham Square
    Castleknock

<SNIP>

Thanks for all this input, especially about Blanchardstown. I will for sure make that a place on top of list. I will look for places near the village, is that good? Then when he is working I can still get out and about and at some point down the road find a job for myself i could walk or bike to.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭JackHeuston

I don't visit the village too often, but for the few times I go there it looks lovely. You can reach the mall by bike, there are bike paths from the village to the mall and they look safe. There are also smaller roads so maybe expect a bit more traffic by car.

And it's still full of services, even a 24 hours Tesco. In Dublin city center I had troubles finding stuff open after 6:30pm with a few exceptions on Thursdays, maybe I didn't know where to go... but in Blanch the mall is open every weekday until 9pm, and also other businesses do "long" hours.

• Advertisement

I don't visit the village too often, but for the few times I go there it looks lovely. You can reach the mall by bike, there are bike paths from the village to the mall and they look safe. There are also smaller roads so maybe expect a bit more traffic by car.

And it's still full of services, even a 24 hours Tesco. In Dublin city center I had troubles finding stuff open after 6:30pm with a few exceptions on Thursdays, maybe I didn't know where to go... but in Blanch the mall is open every weekday until 9pm, and also other businesses do "long" hours.

I am ashamed to say how much I miss my old Walmart, 24/7, oh the good old days. I like the sound of what you are saying. Do you know name of street for village?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I am ashamed to say how much I miss my old Walmart, 24/7, oh the good old days. I like the sound of what you are saying. Do you know name of street for village?

Main Street, Blanchardstown

Stheno wrote: »
    Main Street, Blanchardstown

Thanks.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I would still keep Swords in mind. I'm looking to rent myself at the moment and Swords is an area I know quite well, have been to a few recent viewings too. OP if there are any specific areas in Swords you want to know about, feel free to PM me and I'll fill you in on what I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Swords to Blanchardstown is not a great commute lately, the M50 south has been a car park and it's unlikely to improve.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

athtrasna wrote: »
    Swords to Blanchardstown is not a great commute lately, the M50 south has been a car park and it's unlikely to improve.

I take the backroads to Blanch from Swords whenever I am working there. little to no traffic

athtrasna wrote: »
    How long do you think to the paypal business park? More than 40 min? His commute right now is around 1.5 hour each way to Bangor...half hour walk to train, half hour train, half hour walk to walk from station round trip. I think he will be okay with anything less than 45 min each way. Swords would be more?

How long do you think to the paypal business park? More than 40 min? His commute right now is around 1.5 each way to Bangor...half hour walk to train, half hour train, half hour walk to walk from station round trip. I think he will be okay with anything less than 45 min each way. Swords would be more?

On the M50 it could be well over 45 minutes.

Taking the backroads, it's about 40 minutes

Stheno wrote: »
    On the M50 it could be well over 45 minutes.

Taking the backroads, it's about 40 minutes

Good info to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭InvisibleWoman

He will be at work, and I can't till I get a residence card and also I won't be driving so I am hoping for somewhere with ability to walk to most stores, cafes and pubs.
    Unless its changed dramatically since 2012, it won't take long for your stamp 4 to come through. My OH is EU, I'm not. INIS initially issued me with a six month visa while they confirmed our relationship status, which arrived within 3 weeks. The replacement visa (five years) arrived six months later.
    To be fair saying the vast majority of head leases don't allow pets is a bit misleading. I'd say the vast majority go specifically to nuisance by pets. Furthermore the many private LLs wouldn't even know they have a head lease.
    +1 Most landlords don't know about the 'Head Lease', and while they are supposed to share the 'House Rules' with their tenants, I've never heard of it happening (came up in one of my law lectures). As MarkAnthony says, frequently pets are allowed within an apartment development if they do not cause a nuisance to other residents. E.g. if you have a dog and it barks a lot, the other residents can complain and the Management Company can order you to remove the dog as it is a nuisance. So cats are popular pets for apartments because they don't bark :D
    Whatever you do, don't take a property and conveniently 'forget' to mention your cats, as this is a breach of lease. As you've found before, there are some reasonable landlords who are willing to accept well behaved cats (usually with the addition of an extra security deposit).

Unless its changed dramatically since 2012, it won't take long for your stamp 4 to come through. My OH is EU, I'm not. INIS initially issued me with a six month visa while they confirmed our relationship status, which arrived within 3 weeks. The replacement visa (five years) arrived six months later.

+1 Most landlords don't know about the 'Head Lease', and while they are supposed to share the 'House Rules' with their tenants, I've never heard of it happening (came up in one of my law lectures). As MarkAnthony says, frequently pets are allowed within an apartment development if they do not cause a nuisance to other residents. E.g. if you have a dog and it barks a lot, the other residents can complain and the Management Company can order you to remove the dog as it is a nuisance. So cats are popular pets for apartments because they don't bark :D
    Whatever you do, don't take a property and conveniently 'forget' to mention your cats, as this is a breach of lease. As you've found before, there are some reasonable landlords who are willing to accept well behaved cats (usually with the addition of an extra security deposit).

That would be great news to get a quick card, then I can bring in more income and we can really start to enjoy living over here. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭tradhead

Hi OP,

Not sure if you're looking on rent.ie but if you're not, you should be! I find it much nicer to use than daft (I don't really know why!) and I had a quick look there and found 8 properties that don't mention pets and could work for you in just the first two pages. House-hunting is a pain so hope that helps some! :)

Also, if I could get a job in Blanchardstown or somewhere outside the city where I could live nearby I would probably move there in the morning. The rent is still expensive and it's still not easy to find the perfect place but I find the standards are so much higher for the same price, as there is just so much competition in and around the city centre.

Having said that, of the areas mentioned nearer to town I think Stoneybatter would be perfect- easy access to Blanchardstown and a short stroll into town.

I shall go take a look online at them today. Yes, I really prefer a suburb with a car. He is thinking of center without. I am hoping a trip there to both will change his mind. Ironically, he is Dutch and can't stand Amsterdam, so why would he want to live in another busy city? I will say, I can do either as long as I have a way to buy stuff I need from stores, a nice cafe nearby for grub and some pubs, my main concern is my cats and safety. So, if I can only find a place for kitties in section "X", then section X it will be.

Interestingly I think living in Belfast city center would have been nice. It is a small city and maybe why he thinks Dublin would be better. We spend too much on taxis and bus far in and out of center here, but I think Dublin city would be much different from Belfast city. I keep saying safe, I feel very safe here in Belfast, and I am just hoping to find somewhere safe there as well.

Advertisement