Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do you get over being unattractive/plain-looking?

124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Now, I'd be a fairly plain-looking fellow, by most people's estimations. Presentable but plain.

Some days, I do feel unattractive, like, in a struggling-to-get-out-of-bed kinda way.

Other days (not as many as I'd like though), I feel too damn sexy for my funky shirt.

Is this normal? Does anyone else experience this?

And, yes, I am single...

We all have good and bad days. Depending on mood and how many assholes we encounter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭GaryTLynch

I only hang around with people who are uglier than I am, therefore making myself the 'looker' in the group despite being ugly as sin myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I usually swing between these two moods; "bow down before me bitches I am your queen" and "I'm a fuking ugly disgusting worthless piece of sh1t"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I just don't think on it....like I'm in no way good looking etc( opposite infacta)..it doesn't bother me if I'm honest...just a fact of life

I've too much to be doing to worry about it...just like in all reality what can I do on it...I don't care enough to do plastic surgery/other cheats etc

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭dancingchicken

Personality and confidence can drastically improve someone's looks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Red21

Eating steak, drinking water, going for a walk, video games, tv, movies, sport, waking up, going to bed, breathing, pretty much everything you can do holds out as much enjoyment for you as it those for physically attractive folk. For all the promise it appears to hold out, being "hot" isn't worth all that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Actually no, before I started lifting I was running 4x a week for over a year as I was dreadfully unfit before that. I wasn't an athlete by any means, but I managed a sub45 minute 10k which was better than most people my age, yet I still was the same quiet, shy lad I am today.

And that has zero relevance to my point. You think that all those runners are super confident and never feel crap about their appearance or looks? Big muscles or small muscles doesn't matter; you can train your biceps to be bigger but you can't train your brain to be more confident.

In my personal experience, i was extremely unfit and started running. As I got better my confidence in my running ability improved and each time I beat my own PB I felt fantastic about myself. As I ran more I got more involved with our local athetics club. Theyre really supportive and good people, for the most part, always a few bad apples, and Yea, It makes me happier and more confident.

Sorry you havent had a similar experience but your negativity wont change my view that getting fit brings about more happiness and confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I don't think MM was being negative. He just said he didn't think that fitness was guaranteed to bring confidence in oneself. It isn't. There are people who undertake fitness/weight training with the sole goal of looking better. A lot of people enjoy the process, which is great. But there are people who plough on doing it because they think that looking better will be a panacea. But being fitter and looking physically better doesn't always adress the underlying psychological issues.
    It's not a negative point, just a reply to "go to the gym = guaranteed self-confidence".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

What a depressing OP. You never let people take photos of you?

That's not a symptom of ugliness, even completely facially deformed people with a decent bit of confidence get photos taken all the time. It's a symptom of appalling self-esteem.... and that is a genuinely unattractive trait.

I'm no stunner, fairly middling looking, but I never had any hassle with interest from people because I'm open, chatty, positive, have a laugh with people and am not a miserable moany mary, hung up on my looks. State of me when I was a teenager, HAW. Spotty, lanky, and a mouth full of metal. But I had plenty of boyfriends at the time, so I expect people rate me higher than I am because I smile a lot and am interested in talking to them.

Get some dental work, flash the pearly whites and be nice to people. You can be under or overweight and dressed like complete loon as long as your teeth look good and you are smiling.

Hermit No More!

I appear to have done alright despite looking like a middle aged Milky Bar Kid. I guess the only secret I have is to simply not care about it. I never have.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

Seen a few absolute rides down the town yesterday.

Jusus....🙉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I don't think MM was being negative. He just said he didn't think that fitness was guaranteed to bring confidence in oneself. It isn't. There are people who undertake fitness/weight training with the sole goal of looking better. A lot of people enjoy the process, which is great. But there are people who plough on doing it because they think that looking better will be a panacea. But being fitter and looking physically better doesn't always adress the underlying psychological issues.
    It's not a negative point, just a reply to "go to the gym = guaranteed self-confidence".

But going to the gym to make yourself better looking is for vanity sake, not making yourself more confident and happy. In fact, doing it for vanitys sale is ultimately chasing the unachievable dragon which can lead to to constant self doubt and the need to do more to feel better.

Getting fit isn't about being better looking, Being fit improves your posture, the process generates endorphins that make you feel better. Its all good.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I hit every branch on the way down and I have no self confidence, I cannot go up and chat up a lady, I also suffer from foot in mouth disease. I am a good person though, exceptionally honest, I do have a sense of humour, my lack of self confidence does make me very modest. I do wish I could go and bull**** with the ladies but I can't, it's just not in my nature. I used to be really fit but that didn't help. One awesome thing though, since I've been single for the last year or so, I am never short of a few pound, I'm only talking about being able to meet up with the lads or go to a concert, a match or whatever, not living in the Shelbourne or anything.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

But going to the gym to make yourself better looking is for vanity sake, not making yourself more confident and happy. In fact, doing it for vanitys sale is ultimately chasing the unachievable dragon which can lead to to constant self doubt and the need to do more to feel better.

Which was partly the point.

No one is arguing that getting fit is a bad thing. On the contrary.

But it won't be the answer to confidence issues for many people. Youcanbe fit and have a negative perception of yourself. That's all that was being said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Becoming stinking rich worked for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Reminds me of one of the best questions ever asked.
    "So what was it that attracted you to multi millionaire Paul Daniels?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Cloud493, are you a music fan, get yerself out to one of the countries many music festivals, I'd even recommend volunteering for one, its a great way to meet people and possibly folk that share a similar taste in music. I'm single myself and have been volunteering at festivals for the last few years, I'll know it will take time but surely sooner or later I'm gonna meet the right girl and hopefully at a music festival too. Having done Life festival, Body & Soul festival I'll be working at Electric Picnic next in September, considering going for the Sunday to Longitude this weekend, wouldn't mind seeing the Chemical Brothers. Go on take the plunge, go out to a gig or music festival, its a lot better than the confusion one experiences at a nightclub in the city unless you are going to see a particular DJ but try it, no harm anyway.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

pwurple wrote: »
    What a depressing OP. You never let people take photos of you?

That's not a symptom of ugliness, even completely facially deformed people with a decent bit of confidence get photos taken all the time. It's a symptom of appalling self-esteem.... and that is a genuinely unattractive trait.

To you it may be, but to many people it's not.

If I was in the presence of a girl who I thought was lovely looking, and seen her cover her face when someone tried to take her photo and she told me she hated her self when I asked why, the last thing that would do is put me off her. In fact, it would most likely endear me to her if anything. Given that so many people today are so God damn full of themselves, I would most likely find it refreshing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

cloud493 wrote: »
    If it applies to you of course, since I'm sure theres some beautiful looking creatures on boards, how do you cope with being ugly? Cos I'm an ugly ass bastard, and it can be tough sometimes. I'm ugly, plain, lanky, etc.

What are you trying to achieve exactly? "Cope" seems like a bit of a catch all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    What are you trying to achieve exactly? "Cope" seems like a bit of a catch all.

cope1
    kəʊp/Submit
    verb
    (of a person) deal effectively with something difficult.
    "his ability to cope with stress"
    synonyms: manage, survive, subsist, look after oneself, fend for oneself, shift for oneself, stand on one's own two feet, carry on, get through, get on, get along, get by, muddle through, muddle along, scrape by, bear up, make the grade, come through, hold one's own, keep one's end up, keep one's head above water, keep the wolf from the door, weather the storm; More
    (of a machine or system) have the capacity to deal successfully with.
    "the roads are barely adequate to cope with the present traffic"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Well cope as in live in as pleasant circumstances as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    It may be hard reading but askmen.com have a click bait top 10 list of what women want in a man and I find that it usually rings through. Looks only come in at no. 9. Heres the list and link below.

10 - Independence
    9 - Looks
    8 - Positivity
    7 - Communication skills
    6 - Sociability
    5 - Intelligence
    4 - Passion (for life in general)
    3 - Sense of humour
    2 - Ambition
    1 - Confidence

http://ie.askmen.com/top_10/dating/top-10-things-women-want.html

If you are insecure about your appearance, 1 piece of advice I would say is hit the gym and get fit, set goals and aim to beat them every week. Ive seen this transform people. Confidence, looks and positivity should all go up.

Based on that I don't have much going for me.

I've have almost a total lack of 1,2,4,6,7,8,9 and 10 and I only included number 3 because I like watching sitcoms on TV.

In order to test this theory you should transfer the entirety of your wealth to someone else - myself for example - and see if the effect transfers too. Purely in the interests of objective scientific experimentation you understand.

I will send you my bank details forthwith of course - but only if you PM me first with a message starting with "I am a prince in Nigeria..." because we all know that's the only time you share bank details - or take seriously a post like your own :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 969 ✭✭✭JacquesDeLad

I'll say money but I'll hope it's all the magazine stuff.

Unless I win the lottery.

Then I'll hope it's just the money. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I have a mickey like a tower-crane operator's Thermos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Just use it as motivation to hammer the **** out of the weights at the gym. Not only does this eventually make you look better, it also alters your hormones etc so that you feel more confident in and of itself, before you even count the actual changes.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

jimgoose wrote: »
    I have a mickey like a tower-crane operator's Thermos.

Must be tough to find underpants for that behemoth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Must be tough to find underpants for that behemoth

One word: Commando! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

jimgoose wrote: »
    One word: Commando! :D

Somehow I doubt Arnie is packing a big one after all those steroids!

https://mindreels.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/commando-movie-poster-1985-1020467970.jpg

Advertisement