Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sending Mobile Phones to the UK/Europe

• 15-07-2015 10:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭

An Post have a policy of not carrying items containing batteries outside the country. Just wondering what affordable alternatives there are?

It seems to be an airline policy so I'm wondering how the many British and Irish sellers are bypassing this? Are they simply not declaring the items or using some other means?

It's a massive pain in the ass in the year 2015!

Thanks for any input.

Edit: I've just noticed that Parcel Motel have a service to send to the UK @ €14.50. A bit pricey but do they accept Mobile Phones?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

An Post use air shipping for all parcels. It is a general air policy that an post have no option but apply - Royal Mail also apply it, but they also have a road/sea service.

Delivery compnaies such as GLS, DPD, Nightline, Fastway etc use road/sea for UK and don't have the restrictions.

Couriers like DHL / UPS / Fedex can accept prohibited items under special licence and charge accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

That's great info and explains Royal Mail accepting electrical goods.

Surely An Post could partner with somebody or find an alternative method for packets. Seems a bit antiquated in this day and age!

Still open to alternatives to Parcel Motel but I do like the idea of being able to drop items off so they might be handiest if there's nothing significantly cheaper.

That's great info and explains Royal Mail accepting electrical goods.

Surely An Post could partner with somebody or find an alternative method for packets. Seems a bit antiquated in this day and age!

Still open to alternatives to Parcel Motel but I do like the idea of being able to drop items off so they might be handiest if there's nothing significantly cheaper.

They used to, but the cost of having 2 services airmail & surface mail was higher than the cost of send everything airmail alone, so they changed to just offering one service as 90%+ went airmail anyway.

With so many other companies offering groud service, it wouldn't be worth adding it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I have sent two phones before to the UK using An Post (unless rules have changed recently) they got there. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Prohibited items are sent all the time and usually get to their destination but it's a bit risky sending €200-300 phones on a regular basis because if it's stopped you'll be kissing the phone goodbye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Trying to return a faulty tablet to UK today, Anpost said no.
    Need to use a courier. This is costing an extra €8 on top of the €18 it would have cost.
    Surely in todays age they can tell if an item is dodgy or not??

Grrrr

kleefarr wrote: »
    Trying to return a faulty tablet to UK today, Anpost said no.
    Need to use a courier. This is costing an extra €8 on top of the €18 it would have cost.
    Surely in todays age they can tell if an item is dodgy or not??

Grrrr
    Its not an An Post policy - its an international air transport policy.

Also you don't need a courier, just a parcel delivery service that uses road/sea route. Gls parcel shop, DPD, nightline, parcel connect etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

delahuntv wrote: »
    Its not an An Post policy - its an international air transport policy.

Also you don't need a courier, just a parcel delivery service that uses road/sea route. Gls parcel shop, DPD, nightline, parcel connect etc.
    I often return items with batteries to amazon and all that is required is a notice showing the item contains batteries.

362233.jpg

foggy_lad wrote: »
    I often return items with batteries to amazon and all that is required is a notice showing the item contains batteries.

Amazon have a different system. All returns are collated in an post and sent bulk via road/sea to their returns centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭alksander

delahuntv wrote: »
    An Post use air shipping for all parcels. It is a general air policy that an post have no option but apply - Royal Mail also apply it, but they also have a road/sea service.

Delivery compnaies such as GLS, DPD, Nightline, Fastway etc use road/sea for UK and don't have the restrictions.

Couriers like DHL / UPS / Fedex can accept prohibited items under special licence and charge accordingly.

I am wondering if they are receiving any of the foreign shipments to Ireland via the same route? E.g. tons of chinese and international deliveries with batteries in them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I've received several items via airmail from China containing batteries.
    Do they have different international air transport policy? or just ignore the rules?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Also I can fly with a mobile phone in my pocket, so why cant I post it?

2 stroke wrote: »

and your phone goes though xray machine.

Its not that batteries are not allowed - they just can;t be lumped in with everything else.

DHL and others will allow batteries, but they charge a surcharge and then they get put through as seperate cargo.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

The problem is that Lithium can go on fire or become explosive under pressure, if the battery is damaged. Single items such as phones, laptops on a person are ok, but the danger is if you have multiple batteries in a restricted package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

366618.jpg

Got a box of AA lithium batteries with very similar notice printed on it. Yes, delivered by air mail. :D

joujoujou wrote: »
    366618.jpg

Got a box of AA lithium batteries with very similar notice printed on it. Yes, delivered by air mail. :D
    And notice how its says "forbidden to transport on passenger aircraft"

Most post goes by regular passenger aircraft, whereas the likes of fedex, ups, tnt etc use freight aircraft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I've received several items via airmail from China containing batteries.
    Do they have different international air transport policy? or just ignore the rules?

They flaunt them. Sometimes you'll see them "bounce" in tracking and a new tracking number get issued via surface mail, sometimes they get straight through.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 lifianmis

My daughter is working in the UK for a few weeks. The phone she had has stopped working so she upgraded and the new phone was sent to her home address in Ireland. How can I get it to her as An post/ DHL won't take it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

You could try Parcel Motel or Parcel Connect, they do not have same restrictions. More information about them on the sticky.

MOD: Please do not bump old threads. Closing thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement