Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First Time Driver, First Car Insurance

Options
  • 15-07-2015 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi I am a 27 year old female and I am currently about to sit my theory test, I will then get lessons but want to buy a car asap. Does anyone have advise on how to go about getting cheap insurance on a leaners permit?

Best Quotes?

So far I have gotten - third party - 1950 and if I can get both parents on the insurance it goes to 1450 but not sure they would do that :confused:

Any advice appeciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Mixomatosis

Hi Nicmarie,

Some tips I can think of :

Find a driving instructor who has a partnership with an insurance company. For instance, First Ireland Insurance (who I went with) have a 'DriveFirst' scheme. If you complete at least 10 lessons with an approved driving instructor / company, you will save a bit on your insurance quote.

firstireland.ie/index-2-personal-schemes-drivefirst.php

I had lessons with a small company ('Skillz' driving academy) who are included in this program.

My quote (33yo resident in Dublin with learner permit, 2005 Citroen C3 1.1l, > 10 lessons with a DriveFirst approved instructor) came to about 1,100 per year.

Additionally, you should always try to buy a car that is no older than 10 years old. You'll find that there are far lesson insurance companies that will even consider you for insurance with a car that's older than 10 years.

Hope this helps in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

I'd strongly advise getting in touch with Axa and using there drivesafe policy. It's an app you switch on when you drive & it records your driving. Quite handy, although sometimes I do forget to turn it on or a short trip (3-5 minutes) doesn't record as it hasn't been long enough. Only conditions are you need to do at least 90 trip in the previous 90 days (or a distance equivalent).

I'm 24, and got TPFT last Sep (I was 23). Very first car, provisional license, my own policy for €1,100!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Currently doing lessons with an instructor who's with First Ireland, have 5 more to do before I can get a quote but from what Ive seen elsewhere people have gotten quotes of €1500 and less on a provisional with first Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Hi Nicmarie,

Some tips I can think of :

Find a driving instructor who has a partnership with an insurance company. For instance, First Ireland Insurance (who I went with) have a 'DriveFirst' scheme. If you complete at least 10 lessons with an approved driving instructor / company, you will save a bit on your insurance quote.

firstireland.ie/index-2-personal-schemes-drivefirst.php

How does this work? I have had almost 10 lessons with an instructor on that list. Would you have to organise this with First Ireland before you get the lessons? Or could I just call them and say I can show proof of getting 10 lessons with the instructor?

wardides wrote: »
    I'd strongly advise getting in touch with Axa and using there drivesafe policy. It's an app you switch on when you drive & it records your driving. Quite handy, although sometimes I do forget to turn it on or a short trip (3-5 minutes) doesn't record as it hasn't been long enough. Only conditions are you need to do at least 90 trip in the previous 90 days (or a distance equivalent).

I'm 24, and got TPFT last Sep (I was 23). Very first car, provisional license, my own policy for €1,100!

You need to be 24 or under for the DriveSafe App, says it on the website!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Mixomatosis

Lia_lia wrote: »
    How does this work? I have had almost 10 lessons with an instructor on that list. Would you have to organise this with First Ireland before you get the lessons? Or could I just call them and say I can show proof of getting 10 lessons with the instructor?

Once you do the 10 lessons, you notify First Ireland that you've completed them when getting your quote. This is then factored into your quote. But you must also get a physical certificate from the Driving Academy and send it on with the additional other documentation when setting up the policy itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭rvpalldway

how much of a discount are we talking about using first ireland

I went with AA in the end. They offered me a quote lower than what First Ireland were (after a bit of haggling). First Ireland offered me 1700 for a 1.25 Fiesta, including the driving lesson discount! Went with AA for 1600, which includes AA membership. Still seems very expensive but was the cheapest I could get! I did have named driver experience but it was no longer valid as I haven't been a named driver in 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

So in general, people's experience with Axa and the DriveSave app if good? Considering it soon. Also, do you think getting put as a named driver on a parent's car first and then getting own insurance on learner permit a few months later might bring premium down?

Very new to it all and it's so expensive! I'm 20

Advertisement