Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Network for Roaming in France

Options
  • 15-07-2015 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

Will be in France at the end of the month so wondering what the best prepay option is for text/data while over there. Phone is unlocked so the best network to get a SIM for would be great.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭bugfreebob

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Hey all,

Will be in France at the end of the month so wondering what the best prepay option is for text/data while over there. Phone is unlocked so the best network to get a SIM for would be great.

Cheers
    Orange is the best network in France. However, all the French networks make it very difficult for non-nationals to sign up for SIMs. The French police have complex security requirements which require that you only use a French credit card or go through additional security vetting which can take a few days to clear. If you are only there for a short visit, you might find that your trip is nearly over before you get cleared. It took me several days to get a French SIM activated the last time I tried. Also Orange are very restrictive in what you can do. No Skype/Viber/VOIP, no tethering, no email except Webmail.

Probably better to get an eMobile or Meteor SIM before leaving home - they both give 1GB data roaming on any network in Europe for €14.99, free incoming voice calls and 400 free-texts using their apps. Alternatively, they have a 99c per day rate for 50MB per day, which might work out better for a short trip. Meteor and eMobile have no restrictions on VOIP or tethering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

If you're totally stuck for options, you can, as many others say, use a Three UK Sim Card. If you top this up you can use free data and other items in France as part of their roaming package.

It all depends on how much you're willing to spend.

www.moolamonkey.com/blog/how-to-roam-for-less/

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭j_mo

I was over there recently and opted to go for SFR sim card. You can easily top up online. You need to bring in your passport when you're signing up for the PAYG sim but it was working straight away. I got it for data mainly.

Advertisement