Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SuperValu Car Park is NOT a Playground for your kids!

Options
  • 15-07-2015 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Please take responsibility for your children.

There are dozens of youths hanging around SuperValu car park causing a lot of problems for the neighbours it seems.

You may think it's OK for your kids to play football etc. over there but it is not, from many perspectives, including safety. The more congregate there, the more it is seen as a hangout area. The place is constantly vandalised and there are major noise pollution issues.

Please also ask your kids not to climb fences to take shortcuts through Charlesland to and from the skateboard park. They are causing a lot of the nuisance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Cool, a rant at kids thread....

And please ask your kids not to leave their toys outside other peoples drives when they finish playing out for the night. Its a pain when i come home to have to leave the car on the road while i get out and move tennis rackets, flickers, bikes and other plastic things. Please leave them outside your own drive ways otherwise they will get run over ;-)

Oh and whats with chalking all over the roads - it looks a bloody mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭d-don

Oooh I want to let this ferment before I post . :)

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Major noise pollution would be like a concert not a few kids

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Personally i think its just an out of sight out of mind mentality.

In most Irish estates (and in the UK also) kids play outside the front of their houses / on the roads and this is not due to the lack of back gardens.

Its seems acceptable for kids to leave their bikes / toys / stuff all over the place, at the end of neighbours driveways, shout and roar all day and late into the evening, play football up against other peoples walls.... chalk the pavements not outside their own homes... all out of sight out of mind... their parents aren't that bothered once their kids are outside playing and not in their hair. Sad but true from what i can see in Irish estates

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭HappyDaze007

Oh dear OP......

I hope you've a bullet proof jacket as I think your about to get shot from all directions by keyboard warrior mothers.

I'm wondering if the "kids" in question are in fact Spanish students...?
    As they make a hell of a noise where ever they go..
    Besides as you're probably going to find out from Irish mammys that their child/kids are good as gold and wouldn't dream of doing anything like that regardless if it was them anyway..!

Best go find my own bullet prof jacket so..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

Where will the keybord warrior Dad's be?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

getting so much mileage from this image:

untitled-article-1429794386.png?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭HappyDaze007

Working...????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

I think you all are jumping the gun a bit here, Charlesland is a new town and in a couple years the current crop will be in their teens and in all probability then there will really be reason to post.... "I only did it coz there's nothing to do..the TV/games console/ internet is broken, I'm soooo boooored" and of course their replacements will have hit the streets/ pavements..
    Oh and for the record I include my own in the previous sentence .. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Living not too far from Supervalu myself and a regular visitor to that area, I see teenagers but noting even close to what the OP has mentioned.
    A little exaggerated perhaps?

I see the little ones playing with chalk, making pictures on the pavement and road. However, we live in Ireland and the fine art work is usually washed away within days.

I think a few here need to put the slippers and pipe away and build a bridge, children will be children. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

You wouldn't have this problem if they built stuff with practicalities of life in mind.

Housing developments need things like basketball courts, tennis courts, places to play football, skate parks ...

Doesn't necessarily need to be organised activities, but they should have safe spaces. In many countries they're called "parks" something that's a rare concept in Ireland.

Supermarket carparks aren't a place for kids to play, but pretending that kids don't need somewhere to congregate and play is also utterly unrealistic.

*ALL* planning should include parks and recreation space.

We seem to be designing our built environment to ensure maximum obesity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Housing developments need things like basketball courts, tennis courts, places to play football, skate parks ...

While i do agree these amenities would be a benefit to any community...

its the sad reality of who going to pay ongoing maintenance of these areas? Def not residents that's for sure... and county councils don't have the budget to support.

and the there's the public liability insurance issue... little Johnny's parents will sue if he / she falls in the basketball court and grazes a knee

so it not just as simple as build these things for kids to do.. its s nice idea alright but costly and no one wants to pay for it.

its about general respect for your fellow neighbour... adults and kids alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ChillMhantain

Honestly! wrote: »
    Please take responsibility for your children.

I encountered them last few times down shopping, about a dozen of them hanging around the stairs and lift area, was expecting to see one of them tumble over the wall. And first time I've seen a child vaping!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Working and not caring about things like this

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Honestly!

The "my little Johnny is harmless" brigade making some real cerebral arguments against points that were not made in the first place.

15-17 year olds..vandalism, loitering, littering and shouting abuse at residents.

Parents excusing this with "ah they've nothing else to do"

They are YOUR "kids", who do you think should be responsible for arranging something for them to do other than harass residents?

If you think there is a lack of facilities in Greystones, contact your county councillor.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Honestly! wrote:
    They are YOUR "kids"

No they're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭little foot

Have you moaners kids? Would you not let your own kids draw on the footpaths with chalk? It's part of being a child! God help any of your children for not having a childhood

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

The "my little Johnny is harmless" brigade making some real cerebral arguments against points that were not made in the first place.

15-17 year olds..vandalism, loitering, littering and shouting abuse at residents.

Parents excusing this with "ah they've nothing else to do"

They are YOUR "kids", who do you think should be responsible for arranging something for them to do other than harass residents?

If you think there is a lack of facilities in Greystones, contact your county councillor.

For what its worth - I live opposite the carpark. Most of this group are harmless enough and its Summer and they're kids just wanting to hang out like we all did. However to Honestly's point, I've seen some of them taking the concrete blocks off the top of the walls, they leave a pile of rubbish there every evening and I've witnessed one quite heated and very abusive confrontation when a resident living very close by went out to ask them to move on.

Seeing responses like "oh go get your pipe and slippers" makes me sad because I do think theres some valid points and its my and your management fees that pay for the repair and tidy-up of public areas that are being damaged. Also - if thats the response you get for trying to make a point on whats meant to be an objective and fair forum, isnt it any wonder that the kids have the same kind of attitude when people ask them to clean up or not vandalise.

Theres a balance here somewhere for sure and everyone has the right to an opinion and to reply, but underlying it all should be respect - respect for points people want to make here - same as its about respect for the residents in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

elemental
    Excellent post, points well made

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

In fairness, their little Johnny probably is harmless... on his own. Throw in a dozen other little Johnnies, with skateboards and footballs, and that's when they get way too confident and annoying. Aside from the obnoxious behaviour, I almost ran one of them over at the entrance the other day. Luckily I was going really slowly, but some people drive fairly fast in that car park.

Didn't SuperValu close the downstairs car park a few years ago because of the same kind of thing... kids messing the place up, etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭caji

Very well put eleMental. I really agree with your points. Thankfully, I don't have to listen to the noisy teenagers. However, I regularly have the pavement outside my front door plastered with chalk drawings by kids in the vicinity. Yes, kids will be kids. However, adults should be more mindful of their neighbourhood and the overall appearance of the estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

Have you moaners kids? Would you not let your own kids draw on the footpaths with chalk? It's part of being a child! God help any of your children for not having a childhood

sorry also just to clarify. theres 2 separate groups of "kids" here. Honestly and I are talking about the older teenagers hanging out at the Supervalu carpark in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

SpaceTime wrote: »
    You wouldn't have this problem if they built stuff with practicalities of life in mind.

Doesn't necessarily need to be organised activities, but they should have safe spaces. In many countries they're called "parks" something that's a rare concept in Ireland.

Supermarket carparks aren't a place for kids to play, but pretending that kids don't need somewhere to congregate and play is also utterly unrealistic.

*ALL* planning should include parks and recreation space.

We seem to be designing our built environment to ensure maximum obesity.

I don't know about anyone else, but when we were kids. We didn't have skate parks, tennis courts etc.. We went to the local green with a football and played until it got dark.

There is a perfect green in the center of Charlesland and I don't see kids using it very often to be honest, except for the playground. It comes down to the parents and how they install behaviours in their children.

I've mentioned it before but I cant understand the mentality of parents who let their kids out on the middle of the road to run around. This is so dangerous!

I'm driving at approx 10 km/h and kids run out from parked cars or come flying around the corner on their bikes/scooters. Had I not seen them or was going any faster there could have been a serious accident. Yet it still continues to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

Not sure I would consider drawing in chalk to be vandalism though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Gordy6040 wrote: »
    Not sure I would consider drawing in chalk to be vandalism though...
    But chalk is a gateway substance...

Kids playing football on the ramp leading to the upper deck of the carpark are an issue alright, I nearly cleaned one out before who ran out from behind the wall on the left as I was driving up the ramp. It's not like there are no grassy areas to play on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Eponymous wrote: »
    But chalk is a gateway substance...

You can't be serious? :pac:

This is the best one by far.. .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

LEIN wrote: »
    You can't be serious? :pac:

This is the best one by far.. .
    I wasn't!

I thought the sarcasm would be obvious!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Honestly!

Glad to hear that the management company are taking some security measures. We should all be active if protecting our property from theft, vandalism and downgrading.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

What measures?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

Gordy6040 wrote: »
    What measures?

s-l1000.jpg

Advertisement