Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent-a-room scheme - no tax up to 12K even for self employed house owner ?

Options
  • 15-07-2015 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

Im self employed and thinking of renting a room in house I own.
    Ive heard its 12K PA tax free. Does this apply to me as self employed or is it PRSI owners only?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It has to be your own private residence. It doesn't matter what your employment status is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

Victor wrote: »
    It has to be your own private residence. It doesn't matter what your employment status is.

It is yes, so great.

Do you happen to know ....

If the other person sharing is self employed as well can they claim for "office space" as well as myself.

They have their own Living area as well which could be used as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

worded wrote: »
    If the other person sharing is self employed as well can they claim for "office space" as well as myself.
    What about rates (much higher than local property tax)?
    They have their own Living area
    That doesn't sound like its your principal private residence (PPR).

The above sounds like shenanigans precarious and advice from an accountant or solicitor would be important.

I own my house, Im self employed.

Nothing dodgy.

I can claim part as an "office" if I want I believe, perhaps Im wrong.

Just wonder if 2 can is all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

'Office space' in a house is an area that we recommend people stay away from. For a start it affects the CGT relief of a PPR never mind council rates etc.

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    'Office space' in a house is an area that we recommend people stay away from. For a start it affects the CGT relief of a PPR never mind council rates etc.

OK scrap that, I will use my laptop out side the house or in the car !

I will bear that in mind thanks

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I think he means dont claim a tax expense for your home office or there could be tax implications. Using a room in the house to do work isnt itself a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

No need to go that extreme, work from home away, just don't claim any expenses related to your house - light & heat etc.
    In theory you can but revenue are a total law unto themselves when it comes to the self employed so its easier to forego the allowances, they're a pittance anyway.

Thanks

Advertisement