Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greatest Irish Artist?

• 15-07-2015 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has any opinions on who the greatest Irish artist ever is? Base 'the greatest' on whatever criteria you feel is appropriate (eg. contributions, fame, skill, monetary value etc). Who is the is the Irish equivalent to France's Monet, to Britain's Turner, to Spain's Velazquez, to Netherlands' Rembrandt or to Italy's Michelangelo/Da Vinci?
    My personal opinion would be Jack B Yeats (I hope you don't choose Scully!).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Dramatik

Not sure who the greatest is but Harry Clarke has got to be up there somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MrYlad

Dramatik wrote:
    Not sure who the greatest is but Harry Clarke has got to be up there somewhere.

I must admit, I totally forgot about him. Always tend to focus on the painters, and dismiss the other crafts. He is a definite candidate for his significance in his field probably outweighs any other Irish artist.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 paric

O'Connell,Eilish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Has to be Michael Flatley by a country mile. Is there anything this man can't do?

Below his painting of Rossmore Island which sold at Sheppard's Auction Rooms last year for €22, 500.

Foot_Art_0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Jim Fitzpatrick

• Advertisement

A serious candidate would be Paul Henry but it's really down to personal taste. There are lashings of paintings out there but what is it makes a 'great' artist: the amount their works sell for or the quality of their work.

altan-lough.jpg

Altan Lough by Paul Henry.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Not sure who is the greatest, but in my opinion the most over rated is Louis le Brocquy.

I like Pauline Bewick's work, there is a very impressive collection in WIT.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I would tend to favour Paul Henry by a mile but would acknowledge Jack B Yeats did win an Olympic medal plus I think credit to Eileen Grey is required too.

Unsung heros are the scribes who did the Book of Kells potentially, and also, the goldsmith responsible for the small gold ship in the National Museum.

Apart from the obviously talentless, overrated chancers like Sean Scully, Michael Flatley and Michael Mulcahy, Jack B Yeats would be right up there for being overrated - especially his later work.

jack_butler_yeats_rha_a_horseman_enters_a_town_at_night_d5369915h.jpg

"A Horseman enters a Town at Night" by Jack B Yeats - sold for £349,250 at Christies but it's pure rubbish. I thought it was because the artist was going blind in his old age but no, he was painting with oils straight out of the tube. :rolleyes:

Calina wrote: »
    I would tend to favour Paul Henry by a mile but would acknowledge Jack B Yeats did win an Olympic medal plus I think credit to Eileen Grey is required too.

Unsung heros are the scribes who did the Book of Kells potentially, and also, the goldsmith responsible for the small gold ship in the National Museum.

Was that not made in Scotland?

• Advertisement

blue5000 wrote: »
    Not sure who is the greatest, but in my opinion the most over rated is Louis le Brocquy.

I like Pauline Bewick's work, there is a very impressive collection in WIT.

I agree for 90% of his work, but there is something about those portrait heads.

MrYlad wrote: »
    I agree for 90% of his work, but there is something about those portrait heads.

A photocopier? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

most successful in terms of auction price is Francis Bacon.

William Orpen would have to be a close contender for greatest Irish artist.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭peeps78

For me it would be Lavery, Leech and I really like Dorothy Cross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Love William Leech too for the way he used light - but I wouldn't rule out Jack Yeats either he was doing expressionistic work ahead of its time - and was a master of movement and was also a fantastic illustrator.
    Sean McSweeney for the way he captures the sea (though he's contemporary so don't know if that counts) and Louis Le Brocquy for his sinister A Family painting and his portraits which are so unique.

Advertisement