Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Office PC

Options
  • 15-07-2015 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

My father/my home office PC is starting to show it's age. I ordered a 500gig Samsung SSD the other day (€200) and I figured what the hell If we're spending that much I may as well just build a new machine altogether. This has to go on the desk so a compact-ish case would be good.

1. What is your budget?

€350-ish (excluding 200 already spent on SSD) but I wouldn't mind going a bit cheaper if possible.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer?

Autocad. Only 2D stuff but newer versions of that program are a bit slow even for that! Also use a program called Lighting Reality which doesn't have any recommended specs and can kind of chug on this 1st gen i3.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]

Yes. Office 365 recommended?

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)

I'd rather leave it alone and use it for something else.

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]

No

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]

Have a decent mouse. Need new keyboard and cheap speakers.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]

No

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

All methods

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]

Hopefully within the next few days.

Thanks for your help lads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Pentium G3220 €55
    H81m board €60
    1tb HDD €55
    4gb RAM €30
    300w PSU €30
    Zalman Z4 €22
    Windows is €30 or so
    Total €285 or so.
    Recommend adding an SSD if you cancelled the 500gb, or getting an i3 or better case.

Any questions, ask away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I'm still getting the SSD. My budget is 350ish excluding that.

Right well a case like a BitFenix might be a bit nicer. Can get an i3 4160 for €115 but probably no need in that.

Is there a need in a 500gb SSD? I know you already have it ordered but even still

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

I'd be cancelling the SSD and putting the cash towards a better build with a smaller SSD. Only spending €350 on a machine to do autocad is nuts. IMO you should be looking at an i5 build

You're probably right. I see now I underestimated how much an i5 costs.

500gig was a necessity because we've 10 years of files and my father's already a bollocks for misfiling things everywhere without introducing multiple drives into the equation.

I'm prepared to go to 500 then. If it was me I'd spend 700 but the da is cheap. He'll get the VAT back anyway. I'm mostly on here cos I don't know what motherboards fit in smaller cases like, say, the bitfenix prodigy and don't want to make a dumb mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

you can change the location of My Desktop and My Documents to point to another drive so by default he wouldn't be saving to the SSD.

Also how is he backing his work up?

The SSD shipped the day I made this thread but that's a good pointer didn't think of that.

We've got an external drive hooked up that backs up automatically. Should probably have it back up to the cloud as well hadn't got around to it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Does anyone have a link to the Zalman Z4? Trying to put together a budget build but cant see that case on hardwareversand or amazon.

tony1980 wrote: »
    Does anyone have a link to the Zalman Z4? Trying to put together a budget build but cant see that case on hardwareversand or amazon.

None in stock. This should do

http://www.hardwareversand.de/Mini/224145/Zalman+A1+Micro-ATX+Geh%C3%A4use+-+schwarz.article

Make sure you've a mATX board

Cheers DS!

• Advertisement

Was going to go with this one, waiting on offer from flubit

http://www.amazon.co.uk/computers/dp/B00EPLE3J4

Advertisement