Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 days in NY

Options
  • 15-07-2015 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭

Just booked a flight/hotel for my wife and son (13) as a surprise in late August! :)

I haven't been in NY as a tourist since 2000, so assuming it's changed a lot since then. I was just looking for some ideas on what to do, especially with a 13 year old boy? We're staying just off Times Square, so would like to visit the Empire State and maybe do a bus tour? Are there any special combination tickets we can buy that will cover transport and sightseeing trips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

The Citypass is great, reduced prices and you get to skip queues as well.

May your son would enjoy http://www.intrepidmuseum.org/

And there is a tenement museum on the lower east side that's supposed to be really good. http://www.tenement.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

Thanks Bee06. I'm only in NY for 3 days, so may not be able to pack in everything. But the city pass looks like a good option!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Top of the Rock is more spectacular than Empire State imo, and a much more pleasant visitor experience.

I would take the subway to Brooklyn and walk back to Manhattan, maybe even have pizza in the place under the bridge before walking back.

Edit: just remembered the pizza place is called Grimaldis. You can't pre book and there'll probably be a queue but stick it out for their awesome pizza. It's cash only too.

Also, what's the best way to get into Manhattan these days? We're going to be coming in to JFK at around 10.30am. Would traffic be bad at this time or should we look at getting a train?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Was in NYC in April, took 2 hours to get in to Manhattan on the bus, there were loads of roadworks. Was bit of a dose tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

I am open to correction on this. The standard yellow cabs charge a flat rate of $35 from JFK to anywhere in Manhattan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

There's a standard fare for yellow cab taxis from jfk to Manhattan including tolls and a tip it's around $65 - $70 depending on your generosity. No extras for luggage and same price for 3 people as for 1 person.

Standard rate is $52 and toll is $6 on top of that.

chewed wrote: »
    Thanks Bee06. I'm only in NY for 3 days, so may not be able to pack in everything. But the city pass looks like a good option!

City pass is 6 attractions in 3 days. Too much in my opinion. You could do bigbustours.com which is a great way to see the city. Starts in Times Square. M and M store in Times Square is worth a look, as is Toys R Us.
    Main attractions near where you're staying are Rockefelker centre, Empire State, Central Park and American Museum of Natural History is not too far. You can get ticket for Rockefeller that lets you go twice in one day so u see Manhattan by day and by night. No need to do both Empire State and Rockefeller in my opinion as u have the same view from both but u can see the Empire State from Rockefeller plus Rockefeller is cheaper. I would advise buying skip the line tickets where possible for attractions also, queues can be long and your time is short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

Also, what's the best way to get into Manhattan these days? We're going to be coming in to JFK at around 10.30am. Would traffic be bad at this time or should we look at getting a train?

The air train.

• Advertisement

City pass is 6 attractions in 3 days. Too much in my opinion. You could do bigbustours.com which is a great way to see the city. Starts in Times Square. M and M store in Times Square is worth a look, as is Toys R Us.
    Main attractions near where you're staying are Rockefelker centre, Empire State, Central Park and American Museum of Natural History is not too far. You can get ticket for Rockefeller that lets you go twice in one day so u see Manhattan by day and by night. No need to do both Empire State and Rockefeller in my opinion as u have the same view from both but u can see the Empire State from Rockefeller plus Rockefeller is cheaper. I would advise buying skip the line tickets where possible for attractions also, queues can be long and your time is short.

Thanks Barney. Yes, I think trying to cram in all those attractions might be difficult and the last thing I want is to be under pressure to visit everything. I think I'll just pick 3-4 attractions, and also look at buying a sightseeing bus ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

+1 on the Airtrain, get on it to Jamaica Station and then change and get on the E train (blue) into Manhattan. You say you are staying near Times Square, that train will bring you 42nd Street (Port Authority), get off there.

Don't forget one WTC is open and you can go to the top. You also have the 9/11 memorial and museum down there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

You can also get the LIRR from Jamaica which gets you to Manhattan in 20 minutes though I've never used it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

You can also get the LIRR from Jamaica which gets you to Manhattan in 20 minutes though I've never used it myself.

I have and would recommend it over the subway. You get to Penn Station under madison square garden fast and its easier with luggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GeneralSherman

We are a family of 6 (ages 8,10,11 and 13) and we will be visiting NY for 4 nights in August.We are staying opposite Carnegie Hall. I have been researching some things to do which suit us and our outdoorsy kids. We are planning on doing a self guided walk around Central Park (freetoursbyfoot.com) one day with picnic lunch in the park after a big breakfast. The next day we might work our way downtown via FAO Schwarz, Lego and Apple Store towards Times Square, lunch in Bryant Park.... Might take a circle line tour past Lady Liberty. Would love to take the Free Staten Island ferry after dusk just to see Manhattan by night. Could go to union square for the green market and the playground. Maybe checkout the Highline and hopefully walk the mile long Brooklyn Bridge. We are heading to Washington after that for 2 weeks so we will hit the museums there rather than in NY.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Thanks Barney. Yes, I think trying to cram in all those attractions might be difficult and the last thing I want is to be under pressure to visit everything. I think I'll just pick 3-4 attractions, and also look at buying a sightseeing bus ticket.

Also a musical in the evening goes down good with the wife etc. get the tickets at the TKTS in Time Sq.
    Also for the other poster, FAO Schwarz is closed now due to high rent, they'll be relocating to Times Sq but not for a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭FISMA.

I was just looking for some ideas on what to do, especially with a 13 year old boy?

It is a bit pricey, but the Intrepid is worth a look. I think they have a Space Shuttle there now too. More admission though!

The Circle Line boat trip is a nice day out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

We are a family of 6 (ages 8,10,11 and 13) and we will be visiting NY for 4 nights in August.We are staying opposite Carnegie Hall. I have been researching some things to do which suit us and our outdoorsy kids. We are planning on doing a self guided walk around Central Park (freetoursbyfoot.com) one day with picnic lunch in the park after a big breakfast. The next day we might work our way downtown via FAO Schwarz, Lego and Apple Store towards Times Square, lunch in Bryant Park.... Might take a circle line tour past Lady Liberty. Would love to take the Free Staten Island ferry after dusk just to see Manhattan by night. Could go to union square for the green market and the playground. Maybe checkout the Highline and hopefully walk the mile long Brooklyn Bridge. We are heading to Washington after that for 2 weeks so we will hit the museums there rather than in NY.

Don't try to cram a lot in. NY in august can be extremely/oppressively hot and oppressive, and you get the odd storm roll through as well - better have back up plans as well in case the weather takes it toll.

For central park i wouldn't fill it into a whole day, granted it's big but it's still just a park once you get inside so i'd have the picnic and take a stroll or train heading midtown towards the Lego store etc in the one day. As far as i can remember the Lego store isn't too far from Central park.

I'd take almost a full day the next day towards downtown and hit the brooklyn bridge to start and make your way back over the bridge, ground zero, down wall street/broad street and into battery park for a stroll and onto the staten ferry to wrap up the downtown experience. Head to east village then (or if you have the energy) over to williamsburg on the L train for a ramble/dinner.

Day three try DUMBO for the skyline view, on the train or cab over the Manhattan bridge and then maybe chinatown/little italy etc etc

Last day maybe try hit the rock for a good view (better the the Empire state), times square, union square, grand central station.

I've left out so much and There's so much to cram into New York city but it's not as big as you think if you get used to the trains.

jjbrien wrote: »
    I have and would recommend it over the subway. You get to Penn Station under madison square garden fast and its easier with luggage.

Yeah I must try it the next time, sometimes the E can get crowded heading uptown (I get on on 8th/14th),especially at rush hours which isn't the best with cases.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the tips everyone. There are some great ideas here.

I was looking at the NY Pass options and came across http://www.smartdestinations.com/. Has anyone used this before? Seems good insofar as you can tailor what you want to visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GeneralSherman

Thanks for the feedback on our plans. We are going to go with the flow, see how the weather and kids are and take plenty of breaks. Thanks for the tipoff re FAO Schwarz. I think we have decided not to go up a viewing tower.... Husband and I have done it before and it will be kinda wasted on our lot. I expect it will be very hazy this time of year also. We are planning to do the Washington monument instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

It's incredibly hot in August and your 8 year old will not have the stamina for that heat especially if used to an Irish climate.

You really will have to play it by ear depending on the weather and not over cram the itineraries.

I'd bring them to the Egyptian wing of the Met, airy and spacious and air conditioned.

Planetarium too...

Sometimes it's so hot you may as well have 40 feet of snow outside.

There are also some outdoor pools... The beaches also are a short train ride...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

zeffabelli wrote: »
    It's incredibly hot in August and your 8 year old will not have the stamina for that heat especially if used to an Irish climate.

You really will have to play it by ear depending on the weather and not over cram the itineraries.

I'd bring them to the Egyptian wing of the Met, airy and spacious and air conditioned.

Planetarium too...

Sometimes it's so hot you may as well have 40 feet of snow outside.

There are also some outdoor pools... The beaches also are a short train ride...
    Right about the heat and beaches. You could take the subway to Coney island for the rides and a nice beach there.

FatherTed wrote: »
    Right about the heat and beaches. You could take the subway to Coney island for the rides and a nice beach there.

Coney island is an awful kip though, even my Spidey senses tingle on coney

Advertisement