Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about Subnets and ISPs

Options
  • 15-07-2015 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi all,

Taking an interest in networking over the past few weeks and have been learning a bit about subnetting most recently. All going okay so far barring one point regarding how subnets are used from an ISP perspective.

No tutorials or guides mention ISPs in their discussions (that I have seen), and seem to be referring to large corporate networks presumably when explaining the concepts.

My question really is: say my public IP and Subnet Mask as provided by my ISP is 192.168.1.10 and 255.255.255.0, does this mean that the ISP's Network Address is 192.168.1.0, and any router (customer) to which the same ISP assigns an IP address would have an IP of 192.168.1.x. In this case, my ISP provided router is the Host?

And thus they can have max 255 (253?) customers?

I'm still learning the basics but this is something that's been puzzling me and I don't anticipate any of the resources I've been checking to address this point specifically!

Thanks for your time :)

Advertisement