Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple launches updated iPod Touch

• 15-07-2015 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

http://www.apple.com/ie/ipod/

Maybe not many people interested these days but Apple has just released a substantial update to the iPod touch. It now has the same A8 chip as the iPhone 6.

Just new colours added to the nano and shuffle lines.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I'm tempted. I've an 80GB Classic. Bought one in 2008, Apple replaced after something went slightly amiss with the screen.

Still like the idea of a dedicated music device. €469 for 128GB, though. A pity I'm not holidaying in the US this year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Intriguing update. The A8 is overkill for the Touch. Why go to the trouble of designing a new A8 logic board for a 4-inch device when they could have just used the same A7s used in the iPhone 5s/c. It’s completely unlike Apple to do this. The only way it makes sense to me is if they are planning to use the same logic boards in another 4-inch device. Like a 4-inch iPhone 6c.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Ordered a 64GB space grey model. Should have it next week.

Now to find a suitable case or armband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I would've been interested in a nano with a better screen...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

mickstupp wrote: »
    I would've been interested in a nano with a better screen...

+1, only interested in Nano myself.

Actually thinking moving away from Apple for next portable music player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

The iPod touch just seems like a waste these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,483 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The iPod touch just seems like a waste these days.

+1 I had the G2 and G4 models so the G6 would have been a natural upgrade for me if Apple had followed the same upgrade schedule as previous models but having been abandoned long ago on iOS6 with no current apps worth talking about, I felt that Apple no longer cared about me so I bought an Android tablet (Nexus 7 2013) instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

This is odd. The iPod touch doesn't need the power of an a8.

I bet this is part of a bigger ploy. Something that might make sense with an updated Apple TV. Maybe your iPhone/iPod touch becomes a controller for your Apple TV that can play PS3/360 type games. I dunno but it's an odd update, keeps 4" display, updates to iPhone 6 internals, no Touch ID secure enclave.

Why A8 without the secure enclave and Touch ID. Very interesting indeed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The next gen Apple TV remote/controller will come with the device. If Apple is going after the console market, making the controller a €300+ add-on that’s more expensive than the console itself isn’t a runner. Besides, I think the Apple TV remote will be more like a trackpad with force touch. It doesn’t need a screen.

No, the more I think about the more this pretty much confirms an 4-inch iPhone 6c in September. The 5c is being phased out, the 6s is getting slightly bigger and people still want 4-inch phones. Apple will want all the focus on the redesigned 7 next year — the last thing they want is press about people passing on the 7 to get the new 4-inch instead — so now is the time to launch it.

Apple don’t care about the Touch, as the lack of refresh the last 3 years proves. It’s the Mac Mini of the iOS line-up. They’d love to ditch it but it sells too well.

I've mine now. It's nice and light. Took a while to sync everything via iTunes, but that's grand.

Available space was something like 54GB before I plonked anything on it. Music took up about 18. Handy that you can pick and choose what apps to put on...if you don't want to automatically match everything from another iOS device.

Is there a way of seeing battery percentage on a Touch, btw?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭medic087

I've mine now. It's nice and light. Took a while to sync everything via iTunes, but that's grand.

Available space was something like 54GB before I plonked anything on it. Music took up about 18. Handy that you can pick and choose what apps to put on...if you don't want to automatically match everything from another iOS device.

Is there a way of seeing battery percentage on a Touch, btw?

Do you have an iPhone out of interest ? I was thinking of purchasing one for my music collection.

I don't, I'm afraid. iPad Air 2 for a tablet, Android phone.

Sigh.

Ever since version 11 I've pretty much hated how iTunes handles podcasts. Re-downloading old episodes from 2012 and that sort of nonsense. That was on the Classic. On the Touch, there's the Podcasts app and I don't know if it's something I'm doing wrong with my subs, or what.

In the app, it's showing greyed out episodes in the Feed. Is there any way to stop this? The visual aspect annoys me. :P It's giving the red notification number, which isn't necessarily accurate, or it's showing two artwork covers for the same podcast, as two separate entities, as it were. What's the best way to delete, btw? I delete from iTunes or sometimes manually in the device, but it doesn't always seem to want to kick in and clear the device of the episode. I'm not sure it always syncs correctly even though I tell it to.

Advertisement