Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Selling House

Options
  • 15-07-2015 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

We're putting our house on the market again after holding off since 2010.

Anyway, we have a terrible experience of estate agents. Maybe we've just been unlucky but I find them very dishonest and find it very hard to read them as they tend to be very cagey and not forthright with information. In addition, I've heard firsthand of cases where the agent was acting very obviously on behalf of the buyer by not passing on details of offers that were made on the property. So I find it hard to trust them. Also, in a previous case I went into the agency office to find our house at the bottom in a dark back corner.

I was thinking that I could offer our agent a personal incentive if we achieve a certain minimum price on the house and more if the price is exceeded. Is this heard of? I would like the agent personally to receive the bonus rather than the agency so that we can be sure they are acting on our behalf and are incentivised to promote our house well. This of course would be in addition to the agency fee which is a % of the sale price.

We're currently renting at the moment and renting our house in turn and it's a financial killer of an arrangement!!!

Any advice?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

You could negotiate a sliding percentage, based on sale price achieved. That's not unusual. Doubt that the personal bonus arrangement would wash with the agency, but the agent is on a commission based on sale price in any case, aren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

It might not wash with the agency, but what about with the agent? To what extent would this sort of activity occur?

I mean, if you are a buyer and you offer the agent €2k in a bag to get a price that is €20k lower, the agent will be winning by a long way since commissions are in the order of 1-2% and in this case would be losing out on €200 commission in exchange for a nod, a wink and €2k

Advertisement