Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Change default Edit with program

• 15-07-2015 4:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭

Windows Explorer right-click context menu gives an open to Edit a file rather than open it.

Is there an app or other non-regedit way to change the program that this uses?

(Specifically, .html is opening in Winword, I'd like to open in Notepad2).

Windows 8.1 x64 on desktop.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Not entirely sure what you're looking for, so here's an answer for what I think, maybe, you're asking.

Try holding down shift while right clicking the file, "Open With" should be one of the options.

Alternatively, if you click start, then type in "Default Programs", you can select the default option from there.

Either of those helpful?

This used to be easy in Windows 95-XP but the File Types tab was removed in Vista so now you have to do it via the registry.

I use Default Programs Editor as a replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

CatInABox wrote: »
    Not entirely sure what you're looking for, so here's an answer for what I think, maybe, you're asking.

Try holding down shift while right clicking the file, "Open With" should be one of the options.

Alternatively, if you click start, then type in "Default Programs", you can select the default option from there.

Either of those helpful?

Interesting, I tried the shift trick, didn't get any different options (Open With is already there).

The Default Programs works for the associated Open With action, but doesn't offer an Edit With option.
    Karsini wrote: »
    This used to be easy in Windows 95-XP but the File Types tab was removed in Vista so now you have to do it via the registry.

I use Default Programs Editor as a replacement.

That did the job perfectly, exactly what I was hoping for :)

Thank you both, much appreciate the help!

Advertisement