Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teachers pull yet another stroke

Options
1235»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 374 ✭✭Jjiipp79

Not necessarily. But fair play if you have. Teachers must have done something right. Unless you're a self taught genius!!

Again I'll be honest, they were brilliant...

Defo not a self taught.... It was tough tough work..

I must state I'm not speaking from my point of view. But that's all I can say on that matter.

Ok I really don't mean most of what I said tbf. Here is what I really think, it's should be a performance based job.. You don't hit the targets or stay at standard, your out the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

athtrasna wrote:
    Pro-rata for dates occupied. The flat rate is easy to divide right down to the day.

So why such hatred for teachers then?
    Do you think they would be as brilliant if they were paid low wages?
    And a newly qualified teacher receives 450 a week, which I don't think is extortionate. I suppose my point is if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys!
    I work hard for my salary. I like to think I'm a good teacher and I put in a lot of extra hours. It's awful being refereed to as a leech though. Bad teachers exist, of course they do. Bad workers appear in every profession. But we're not all bad eggs!

First, let me apologise. I have pride in my work and as I think you do aswell, so sorry.

If it was somehow performance based it would root out the bad teachers that are happy to let "problem" students slip through the cracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

Jjiipp79 wrote: »
    Here is what I really think, it's should be a performance based job.. You don't hit the targets or stay at standard, your out the door.

If it was performance based, no one would work in disadvantaged schools. That's the harsh truth.

Teacher's work is not actually measurable in examinations when you take into account student's socio-economic background, their native language(s), attendance, Special Educational Needs and the fact that in some schools the same teacher gets Higher Level every year.

For some students, getting a D is a huge achievement because they were in danger of failing for whatever reason. You can't measure that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

Ok I really don't mean most of what I said tbf.

Well thanks for wasting all of our time.

What 'standards' do you believe there should be? And how do you expect them to be met when we're forcing our kids to spend precious time on the Irish language, which is of little use to them, and the study of Religion (don't make me laugh, its 2015, how is this a thing still). Make these subjects optional in 2nd level, then we can talk raising performances.

Wright wrote: »
    Well thanks for wasting all of our time.

What 'standards' do you believe there should be? And how do you expect them to be met when we're forcing our kids to spend precious time on the Irish language, which is of little use to them, and the study of Religion (don't make me laugh, its 2015, how is this a thing still). Make these subjects optional in 2nd level, then we can talk raising performances.

100% religion should not be thought in school, this is the main reason I have my children in a educate together school. As for Irish, maybe it should be optional, if the parents wanted it taught to their kids maybe, but really I don't know.

Aunt Aggie explains brilliantly why performance related pay would not be a good idea.

I'm unable to think of any appropriate ways if outing the bad teachers.

Plus my definition of bad may not match another's.

But as said, lazy and bad workers exist in all professions.

I like teaching about different types of religion and having my Muslim students etc share information especially about feasts etc but not just Catholicism. Buddhism is fascinating!!! Children usually think so too!

Aunt Aggie explains brilliantly why performance related pay would not be a good idea.

I'm unable to think of any appropriate ways if outing the bad teachers.

Plus my definition of bad may not match another's.

But as said, lazy and bad workers exist in all professions.

I saw performance related pay increases in UK schools. You set your own targets and your manager decides if you met them or not. They are SMART targets so you need proof you've met these targets at the end of the year. Basically box ticking but open to abuse on both sides

• Advertisement

Purplecow, of course there are lazy and bad workers in every profession, it's just that teaching has much higher repercussions than most professions for bad performance.

I like teaching about different types of religion and having my Muslim students etc share information especially about feasts etc but not just Catholicism. Buddhism is fascinating!!! Children usually think so too!

I absolutely agree that the study of the world's religions is fascinating.

Still should be optional.

I in no way in hell want my kids to be taught religion or in a school that will teach it.

I in no way in hell want my kids to be taught religion or in a school that will teach it.

Kids in Educate Together schools are taught about the main world religions and atheism. It should never be optional as Wright suggested. If we're going to have a multi cultural society, children need to be understanding of different people's beliefs.

It is however completely different to the religious instruction most of us received in primary school.

aunt aggie wrote: »
    It should never be optional as Wright suggested. If we're going to have a multi cultural society, children need to be understanding of different people's beliefs.

One does not guarantee the other. Legions of biggots and racists and xenophobes out there on the street dear; they also sat through mandatory classes. They still rant about the English/Eastern Europeans/whoever is the flavour of the month.

What you're describing is more a parent's job anyhow. In my experience Religion was a doss class and nowt got done. Anecdotal as that is. Society is not going to collapse if Religion was an option. Sure we already have CSPE.

Dear???

I'm sorry but how did you come to the conclusion that I'm a little old lady who needs a pat on the head?

If you don't want your kids to study world religions, you're going to have to home school them or move to China.

aunt aggie wrote: »
    Dear???

I'm sorry but how did you come to the conclusion that I'm a little old lady who needs a pat on the head?

If you don't want you're kids to study world religions, you're going to have to home school them or move to China.

Or make it optional.

I particularly like how you skipped over my point about Irish people not being angels despite having mandatory Religion classes in school...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Or make it optional.

I particularly like how you skipped over my point about Irish people not being angels despite having mandatory Religion classes in school...

Religious instruction already is optional. No one is forced to seed their kids to a specific type and in every school opt out is possible. Its outlandish to claim it has no effect without semblance of a controlled experiment.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Purplecow, of course there are lazy and bad workers in every profession, it's just that teaching has much higher repercussions than most professions for bad performance.

Mod: that may well be your genuine belief, but this forum requires debate on a more objective basis. If you continue to post in this inflammatory style without any rational analysis that other posters can debate you will be banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I absolutely agree that the study of the world's religions is fascinating.

Still should be optional.

totally agree
    education about various faiths is very important.

however, specific faith formation should be done by the various churches either after school or on sundays in a bible school setting
    then you would see the parents who really commit to the catholic or church of ireland etc faith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Legions of biggots and racists and xenophobes out there on the street dear

And who, pray tell, can we blame for the legions of male chauvinists and their patronising sexism from another age?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

gaiscioch wrote: »
    And who, pray tell, can we blame for the legions of male chauvinists and their patronising sexism from another age?

womens oppression in first world countries isnt an issue anymore
    this isnt sexism
    that post was reactionary nonsense

i think the biggest changes we need to make in education in Ireland are a complete separation of church and state in education and a complete redraw of the curriculum encouraging more independent thinking and a heavier focus on getting students interested in STEM subjects.

this business of the teachers always demanding more more more in cash, backed up by the unions is the single biggest obstacle to educational reform here.

this business of the teachers always demanding more more more in cash, backed up by the unions is the single biggest obstacle to educational reform here.

If extra tasks & responsibilities are laden on to teachers, why shouldn't they demand more money?

A family member works in the hospitality industry.
    A co-worker with a managerial responsibility (& wage!) is leaving and not being replaced.
    Family member will be taking on these responsibilities so is requesting more money. If she does not get it, she will not be completing the tasks.

I don't think any worker in any industry would or should accept changes to their working conditions which demands more of their time, energy & expertise for free. It is the job of the unions to look for the best conditions for their workers. It's really not that difficult to understand.

gaiscioch wrote: »

I'm a guy and I've been called 'dear' more times than I can recall, do you have a point? 'Dear' is not limited to a single gender, what are you bringing up chauvinism and sexism for?

I'm a guy and I've been called 'dear' more times than I can recall, do you have a point? 'Dear' is not limited to a single gender, what are you bringing up chauvinism and sexism for?

No but it can be used to belittle a woman making a legitimate point because you don't like it.

My point was that religious education is important for the world your kids are growing up in. And from your posts its obvious that you have no idea what religious education looks like today.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mod note:

This thread has gone way off topic and I cant see anything even vaguely economy related being discussed any more.

If anyone wants to suggest reasons for the thread to be reopened please PM me or another thread and we can look at it tomorrow.

Otherwise, thread closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mod note:

This thread has gone way off topic and I cant see anything even vaguely economy related being discussed any more.

If anyone wants to suggest reasons for the thread to be reopened please PM me or another thread and we can look at it tomorrow.

Otherwise, thread closed.

Mod:

Just a heads up on this, went through the thread yesterday morning but with Donegal losing and all, didn't get a chance to post.

This thread slipped through the cracks a bit and apologies for that. Might have been missed because it is further back in the thread but Kermit.de.frog was banned for, well, being a Muppet!

It is not acceptable, and never will be, to come on this forum and call public servants leeches.

Again sorry for not nipping this in the bud. If somebody is posting inflamatory and controversial stuff, basically looking for a reaction, please don't give them what they want. I had to delete loads of posts like that, so ye are wasting your time. Plus its a pleasure logging in to see no reaction, less work for us!

Jjiipp also got banned.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement