Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension kit or wifi dongle

Options
  • 15-07-2015 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭

Firstly please excuse my ignorance, while I can follow instructions quite well,I know sweet FA about computers.

We have moved house temporarily. The efibre router is in the kitchen but our pc will be in the sitting room. The pc is only used for xbmc running thru openelec.

My problem is that I can't run a cable all the way from the router to the pc.
    Should I get a broadband extender (something like the home plug) or will I be better off getting a WiFi dongle,not sure if it a possible as I'm not running Windows.

Also what sort of speed will I lose with one of these since it won't be direct connect, a quick speed test on my phone has it around 50mps.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Homeplug is the easiest option I'd say. Plug and play really, minimal fuss with cables

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Dongle should work fine, most adapters are picked up just fine in Linux. You might want to google Openelec and the adapter you're looking at first. If you have an old router lying around that you can install DDWRT on you may be able to set up a WiFi bridge on it and basically use that as your dongle for free. WiFi should be fast enough for most streaming, large file downloads may be noticably slower though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Thanks, I'm a simpleton when it comes to this so if the home plug is plug and play I'll go with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dlouth15

hairyslug wrote: »
    Thanks, I'm a simpleton when it comes to this so if the home plug is plug and play I'll go with that.
    The one I have is pretty much plug and play. It is like running an ethernet cable directly between computers.

Advertisement