Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sanctity of Life (Abortion Megathread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Absolam wrote: »
    Are they.... about as responsible for not killing them as they are for not killing anyone not inside them?

Does abortion kill a foetus?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Nick Park

Delirium wrote: »
    The point of thought experiment is to ask the question as to whether a person has the right (or indeed should they) detact themselves from another person who is relying on them to live and requires to be attached for 9 months.

This is quite relevant to the disussion on abortion. The only difference is the connection is external rather than in utero.

From a pro-life perspective, the answer would presumably be the person should be legally required to endure the 9 months regardless of consent from the person who is now the life support system for the sick person.

Don't you love it when someone asks a question and then, without waiting for an answer, uses the word 'presumably' to mischaracterise another's position.

Perhaps I should report it to a mod? ;)

One problem with your analogy is that you are quite incorrect in saying that the only difference is the connection being external rather than in utero. There are two further differences.

Difference number two is that no-one's life was in danger prior to a pregnancy. In Mr P's imaginative hypothesis, you agreed too be hooked up to the person specifically to save their life. But a truer analogy would be that you allowed yourself to be hooked up to them for quite another reason. They did not need their life to be saved, but by agreeing to the procedure (albeit while slightly drunk) you find yourself in a situation where a death, which otherwise would not have occurred, can now occur through your actions in disconnecting yourself from them.

Difference number three is regarding the relationship between yourself and the other person. In Mr P's thought experiment the other person may be a total stranger. In the case of pregnancy, the other person is your own child to whom you have a duty of care.

So a truer version of the analogy would go something like this:

You have had a bit of a celebration, and are a little bit drunk and heading home. You wake up the next mornign and find yourself in a white room, on a bed. There is lots of medical equipment around you and there are various tubes and pipe inserted into various parts of your body. These tubes and pipe all go to a machine. On the other side of the machine is another bed. There is someone Your daughter is in that bed, and they are hooked up to the machine similarly to you.

A doctor comes over to you and explains what happened. The person in the other bed has a disease which means they will die without certain bodily functions being taken care of. As a result of you engaging in a process by which your daughter was hooked up to you, she will die if you now unhook yourself. Last night, admittedly when you were a little drunk, you agreed to be hooked up to the machine to save this person's life and you caused your daughter to be hooked up to you without her consent and you will remain hooked up to them for 9 months. If you disconnect they your daughter will die. What would you do? Is it right for you to be forced to remain in this condition?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

And there are situations where grown adults get abducted by doctors and forced to perform the functions as outlined in the story? We keep jumping between reality and ridiculous, one being used to justify the other, that I get a bit confused at times.

In all situations a pregnant woman becomes a 'life support system'/mother for her unborn.

Seriously?
    Perhjaps it might help if you had the least clue what a thought experiment was. Have a read of this. It is a pretty basic primer, which hopefully you will be able to understand, but I am sure you won't mind if I don't hold my breath.

On the other hand, if you know what a thought experiment is and you are simply not willing to properly engage with or answer it, presumably because it isn't actually possible for you to answer it how you would want to with it showing that your anti-choice views only apply to pregnant women, then just say so.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

lazygal wrote: »
    Does abortion kill a foetus?
    I'd say it does, do you not think so?

• Moderators Posts: 51,779 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Nick Park wrote: »
    Don't you love it when someone asks a question and then, without waiting for an answer, uses the word 'presumably' to mischaracterise another's position.

Perhaps I should report it to a mod? ;)
    Maybe it was badly phrased, but it certainly was not intended to be a comment on lazybones position. LB hasn't made their position known, and I'll leave it to them to offer it up if they so choose.

I meant it more as a musing along the lines if I was pro-life, then I'd probably be in favour of the person being hooked up to the machine.
    One problem with your analogy is that you are quite incorrect in saying that the only difference is the connection being external rather than in utero. There are two further differences.

Difference number one is that no-one's life was in danger prior to a pregnancy. In Mr P's imaginative hypothesis, you agreed too be hooked up to the person specifically to save their life. But a truer analogy would be that you allowed yourself to be hooked up to them for quite another reason. They did not need their life to be saved, but by agreeing to the procedure (albeit while slightly drunk) you find yourself in a situation where a death, which otherwise would not have occurred, can now occur through your actions in disconnecting yourself from them.
    Once the woman is pregnant, the foetus relies on the connection to the woman (personA in thought experiment) for survival. Much like the second person (personB) in the thought experiment.

If the woman/personA break the link, then the foetus/personB will not survive.
    Difference number two is regarding the relationship between yourself and the other person. In Mr P's thought experiment the other person may be a total stranger. In the case of pregnancy, the other person is your own child to whom you have a duty of care.

So a truer version of the analogy would go something like this:

You have had a bit of a celebration, and are a little bit drunk and heading home. You wake up the next mornign and find yourself in a white room, on a bed. There is lots of medical equipment around you and there are various tubes and pipe inserted into various parts of your body. These tubes and pipe all go to a machine. On the other side of the machine is another bed. There is someone Your daughter is in that bed, and they are hooked up to the machine similarly to you.

A doctor comes over to you and explains what happened. The person in the other bed has a disease which means they will die without certain bodily functions being taken care of. As a result of you engaging in a process by which your daughter was hooked up to you, she will die if you now unhook yourself. Last night, admittedly when you were a little drunk, you agreed to be hooked up to the machine to save this person's life and you will remain hooked up to them for 9 months. If you disconnect they your daughter will die. What would you do? Is it right for you to be forced to remain in this condition?
    My position wouldn't change, be it daughter/son/uncle/aunt/sibling etc. or stranger. It's wrong to legally compel someone to remain connected for the 9 months.

That's not to say I wouldn't choose of my own volition to remain connected.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Yes, the right to travel is qualified. For example, it is denied to convicts in prison (as are other rights listed in the Universal Declaration).

However, I do not see that a human right can be denied on the basis of what you think somebody might do if they are going to exercise that right.

So what? The UK has acted in a way that is a breach of people's human rights in order to satisfy a populist clamouring. That isn't by any means unusual.
    Hold the phone... If a right is qualified, and the state subsequently restricts that right, as allowed by the qualification, then it isn't technically a breach of human rights. It goes something like this:

You have a right to do something, it is your human right, but in certain circumstances, you do not have that right. So, if those circumstances apply, then you don't actually have that human right, therefore the state restricting you from exercising that right that you don't actually have isn't a breach fo the right that you didn't have. I hope that explains it. :D

I hope she took her case to the European Court of Human Rights.
    I don't know if she has, and whilst I would hope that she would be successful in her case, as it is a qualified right, and the state believes, presumably, it was correct and justified in its action, it would not be a foregone conclusion.

So you find it really odd that governments breach human rights, but that a pro-lifer should support someone's human right to travel?
    Well, as I said above, I don't think, necessarily, that a person's human right was actually breached. As appears to be fairly clear, when a state believes it is in societies interest qualified rights can be curtailed. So yes, I do find it odd that the right to travel can be restricted for football hooligans and people accompanying a friend planning to kill themselves but women are allowed to travel to kill their unborn. Actually, another point i forgot to mention, paedophiles are also subject to travel bans. So the UK will stop a convicted paedophile from travelling to rape children but the Irish are happy for woman to travel to kill/murder the unborn.

Can you honestly say you don't think that is a little odd?
    Why is that odd? Do you think a pro-life person must always agree with every decision of their own, or indeed of foreign, governments?
    Not necessarily, but I would have thought that if one is against the killing of the unborn then one should be against the killing of the unborn wherever it happened. I would also expect them to be a little irritated when they can see people's right to travel being restricted for what I have to assume thye would consider to be lesser "crimes". Or do you think football hooliganism, accompanying a friend on a trip where that friend will commit suicide or raping children are more serous crimes than killing an unborn child.

Neither do I consider abortion to be 'murder' when it occurs in a jurisdiction where it is legal.
    So if you want me to respond to questions that are directed by you to me, maybe you should stop muddying the waters by using the term?
    That is handy. Simply move jurisdictions and the crime is not longer a crime. Even that does work though... Again I will use the UK as an example, clearly it is not the same jurisdiction, but much of Irish law is based on English law, both still have common law systems and both are bound by the same convention on human rights. I see no reason why, if there was a will (remember these words, "if there was a will") why Ireland could not have laws that covered Irish citizens in another jurisdiction. The UK can prosecute men for having sex with children in countries where having sex with children is legal. Also, the Bribery Act 2010 covers British Citizens and employees of UK companies. This allows for the prosecution of individuals and companies, in UK courts for acts committed in other countries. This includes acts that would be legal in those other countries, yes, there are some countries that have made bribery legal!

So, in summary, as the right to travel is a qualified right it is possible to restrict it, though the state imposing the restriction would have to justify the restriction, it needs to be a necessary and proportionate means to pursue a legitimate aim. The legitimate aims are the interests of national security or public safety, the prevention of disorder or crime, the protection of health or morals or the protection of the rights and freedoms of others. Are you still going to tell me there are no grounds to restrict a woman from travelling to kill her unborn child? If I believed what you did I see plenty of justification restricting the rights to travel of women travelling to kill their unborn child. Prevention of crime? Abortion is a crime in Ireland. Protection of health or moral? Do you not think it is immoral to kill thae unborn? The protection of the rights and freedoms of others? Do you not think the unborn has rights?
    MrP

MrPudding wrote: »
    Hold the phone... If a right is qualified, and the state subsequently restricts that right, as allowed by the qualification, then it isn't technically a breach of human rights. It goes something like this:

You have a right to do something, it is your human right, but in certain circumstances, you do not have that right. So, if those circumstances apply, then you don't actually have that human right, therefore the state restricting you from exercising that right that you don't actually have isn't a breach fo the right that you didn't have. I hope that explains it. :D

No, it doesn't explain it very well. In the case of an incarcerated criminal, for example, their human right to travel outside of the country is qualified by the fact that they are in prison and therefore not free to travel anywhere in the country either.

That is a very different kettle of fish from refusing someone the right to travel because you don't like what they might do when they travel.
    Well, as I said above, I don't think, necessarily, that a person's human right was actually breached. As appears to be fairly clear, when a state believes it is in societies interest qualified rights can be curtailed. So yes, I do find it odd that the right to travel can be restricted for football hooligans and people accompanying a friend planning to kill themselves but women are allowed to travel to kill their unborn. Actually, another point i forgot to mention, paedophiles are also subject to travel bans. So the UK will stop a convicted paedophile from travelling to rape children but the Irish are happy for woman to travel to kill/murder the unborn.

Can you honestly say you don't think that is a little odd?

Do I find it a little odd that governments sometimes adopt policies that are different to the policies of governments in other countries?

No, I don't find it odd at all. Governments frequently do things that are odd, or different from one another.
    Not necessarily, but I would have thought that if one is against the killing of the unborn then one should be against the killing of the unborn wherever it happened. I would also expect them to be a little irritated when they can see people's right to travel being restricted for what I have to assume thye would consider to be lesser "crimes". Or do you think football hooliganism, accompanying a friend on a trip where that friend will commit suicide or raping children are more serous crimes than killing an unborn child.

I am against football hooliganism, raping children, or aborting a child wherever it occurs. It's getting rather tiresome to point out that I don't believe restricting one's human right to travel is therefore justified. You don't protect human rights, or indeed society, by interfering with human rights.

As for travelling with a friend. I don't see anything wrong with that, even if the friend is intending to commit suicide.
    The UK can prosecute men for having sex with children in countries where having sex with children is legal. Also, the Bribery Act 2010 covers British Citizens and employees of UK companies. This allows for the prosecution of individuals and companies, in UK courts for acts committed in other countries. This includes acts that would be legal in those other countries, yes, there are some countries that have made bribery legal!

You do have quite an obsession with UK law for someone who is posting on boards.ie

I would not normally use the word 'murder' for forms of killing that are deemed legal in the jurisdiction and context where they occur.

For example, if you decided to travel to Oklahoma to get a job as an executioner, then I would not describe your activities as 'murder' nor would I try to interfere with your right to travel. I am vehemently opposed to capital punishment wherever it occurs, I consider it a brutal human rights violation, but it is not murder. The same holds true if you want to go to Syria and kill people in a war.

Look, you seem to be expending a lot of effort in asserting that my human rights position on abortion is inconsistent with some aspects of the law in a foreign country (the UK). So what? My position is entirely consistent with a secular and civilised approach to how human rights should be protected under Irish law.
    If I believed what you did I see plenty of justification restricting the rights to travel of women travelling to kill their unborn child. Prevention of crime? Abortion is a crime in Ireland. Protection of health or moral? Do you not think it is immoral to kill thae unborn? The protection of the rights and freedoms of others? Do you not think the unborn has rights?

No, because if you really believed what I believe then you wouldn't see the law as a tool to enforce your morality on others. You would be passionate about ensuring that the human rights of all are respected, not just the human rights that happen to suit you.

Nick, how would you protect the human rights of a foetus inside me if I want an abortion?

Nick, how would you protect the human rights of a foetus inside me if I want an abortion?

If you are determined enough to do it, then nobody can protect it. You are the person who has the most power in this scenario.

As with racism, slavery and other abuses, we do what we can to protect others, but ultimately they will still continue in some cases.

If you are determined enough to do it, then nobody can protect it. You are the person who has the most power in this scenario.

As with racism, slavery and other abuses, we do what we can to protect others, but ultimately they will still continue in some cases.

So you've really no ideas at all about how to protect the human rights of a foetus.

ETA sounds like you want abortion to be unsafe, seeing as you've accepted it will happen but want to outlaw it in all circumstances.

• Advertisement

So you've really no ideas at all about how to protect the human rights of a foetus.

Do I have an ideas on how to entirely eradicate any human rights abuse entirely?

No, I don't.

I'm not superman, just an ordinary guy who's doing his best to make the world (and this little corner of it) a better place. I'm sorry that isn't enough for you.

Do I have an ideas on how to entirely eradicate any human rights abuse entirely?

No, I don't.

I'm not superman, just an ordinary guy who's doing his best to make the world (and this little corner of it) a better place. I'm sorry that isn't enough for you.

Sounds like you want women like me to remain pregnant regardless of my wishes or health, or that abortion should be an unsafe, illegal procedure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

robdonn wrote: »
    Which is the same situation as the thought experiment... I don't understand your problem with this. I'll find out later, hopefully.
    No, it's not the same situation: the man on the trolley already was alive before the other person was procured to sustain his life. A baby isn't a foreign body that develops outside and enters in. Why this 'literary device' and phoney scenario?

:confused:[/QUOTE] Why so strict that the conversation must acknowledge and go by your wording and definitions? As if by using the word 'child' we wouldn't know we were discussing human offspring...

So you're unwilling to discuss what is essentially the crux of the whole abortion debate? :confused::confused:

I'm all for discussing the abortion debate but why is it necessary to introduce such a ridiculous premise to be able to discuss it? Are you unable to formulate and present your thoughts and objections without referring to an imaginary man; imaginary doctor and imaginary scenario to deliver the points? It's an unnecessary complication and everyone's insistence on it all of a sudden is as baffling.

I'm all for discussing the abortion debate but why is it necessary to introduce such a ridiculous premise to be able to discuss it? Are you unable to formulate and present your thoughts and objections without referring to an imaginary man; imaginary doctor and imaginary scenario to deliver the points? It's an unnecessary complication and everyone's insistence on it all of a sudden is as baffling.

Do you think a person should be legally compelled to use their body to provide life support for another for 9 months?

Perhjaps it might help if you had the least clue what a thought experiment was. Have a read of this. It is a pretty basic primer, which hopefully you will be able to understand, but I am sure you won't mind if I don't hold my breath.

On the other hand, if you know what a thought experiment is and you are simply not willing to properly engage with or answer it, presumably because it isn't actually possible for you to answer it how you would want to with it showing that your anti-choice views only apply to pregnant women, then just say so.

MrP

I can argue points and examine potential consequences without the need of a hypothetical scenario to make it easier to understand* (most mentally-functioning adults can) . It seems like an unnecessary distraction and complication.

* Seeing as this is your third time posting this game, what does that say about you and your capacity?

MOD NOTE

Let's leave the personal comments out of the discussion please.

Thanks for your attention.

Do you think a person should be legally compelled to use their body to provide life support for another for 9 months?

Will think about it...

Was it so hard to ask a simple question?

Have you any other info to add? Giving a blanket statement to govern all situations would be unjust: I could be condemning a child to death by neglect as soon as it is born (seeing as 9 months is the only parameter given) or I could be justifying a person to be kidnapped and having their organs harvested and forcible blood-transfusions for 8 months and 3 weeks.

But given the bones of your Q: no, a person shouldn't be legally required to provide life support for any amount of time.

My position wouldn't change, be it daughter/son/uncle/aunt/sibling etc. or stranger. It's wrong to legally compel someone to remain connected for the 9 months.
    That's not to say I wouldn't choose of my own volition to remain connected.
    What exactly is wrong about it though? It's obvious you (and I) would (or could) consider it morally right to do what we can to save someone else's life, most particularly, I'd say, when we are the only one in a position to do so, and even more so when it's only our own actions that would actually cause that persons death. No doubt having to continue that effort over an extended period of time is onerous, but for myself I think changing my mind based purely on how long I'd have to spend on it smacks of laziness rather than an alternate moral view.
    Our legal system is essentially a codification on/ expansion of the prevailing ethical position in our society; and our ethical position is the aggregation of our moral views. So in a society where individual life has greater value than individual freedom (such as ours, or we would not imprison murderers), I would say it is right to legally compel someone to remain connected for the 9 months, or at very least to legally sanction them for choosing not to remain connected for nine months. And in all honesty, I think if such a bizarre circumstance did come about and a person chose to disconnect themselves, it's likely they would face some legal charge for causing the death of the other person. Don't you think so?

Hold the phone... If a right is qualified, and the state subsequently restricts that right, as allowed by the qualification, then it isn't technically a breach of human rights. It goes something like this: You have a right to do something, it is your human right, but in certain circumstances, you do not have that right. So, if those circumstances apply, then you don't actually have that human right, therefore the state restricting you from exercising that right that you don't actually have isn't a breach fo the right that you didn't have. I hope that explains it. :D
    I don't think it actually does. If you have a right, there are no circumstances (in that particular jurisdiction) where you don't have that right; the right is limited (or qualified) in the first place, and does not extend beyond it's stated extent, ever. Someone might imagine they should be able to avail of a particular right in a given circumstance, but that does not mean that right actually extends to that circumstance, even though the person still has the same right they had all along.
    I don't know if she has, and whilst I would hope that she would be successful in her case, as it is a qualified right, and the state believes, presumably, it was correct and justified in its action, it would not be a foregone conclusion.
    She hasn't. Since she wasn't prevented from travelling, but chose not to, it's likely she never even considered trying to take such a case :)
    Well, as I said above, I don't think, necessarily, that a person's human right was actually breached. As appears to be fairly clear, when a state believes it is in societies interest qualified rights can be curtailed. So yes, I do find it odd that the right to travel can be restricted for football hooligans and people accompanying a friend planning to kill themselves but women are allowed to travel to kill their unborn.
    Not so odd when you realise it's not actually the case though; it actually makes perfect sense when you consider the facts rather than the stuff people just make up to support their position.
    Actually, another point i forgot to mention, paedophiles are also subject to travel bans. So the UK will stop a convicted paedophile from travelling to rape children but the Irish are happy for woman to travel to kill/murder the unborn. Can you honestly say you don't think that is a little odd?
    You think it's odd that someone who has been convicted of a crime may have their travel legally restricted, but someone who has not been convicted of a crime may not? I have to say I'd consider it odd if it were the other way around....
    I'd say wanting to commit football hooliganism, wanting to accompany a friend on a trip where that friend will commit suicide, wanting to rape children and wanting to kill an unborn child are all not crimes. Whereas actually doing these things, depending on the jurisdiction, is a crime, engaging in which could result in someone's facility to travel being restricted.
    That is handy. Simply move jurisdictions and the crime is not longer a crime.
    That's not true though; it's not a crime in the other jurisdiction. It's still a crime in the jurisdiction where it is a crime.
    Even that does work though... Again I will use the UK as an example, clearly it is not the same jurisdiction, but much of Irish law is based on English law, both still have common law systems and both are bound by the same convention on human rights. I see no reason why, if there was a will (remember these words, "if there was a will") why Ireland could not have laws that covered Irish citizens in another jurisdiction.
    Nobody is saying Ireland couldn't have such a law; just that none of those (oddly, pro-choice proponents entirely) proposing such a law, have demonstrated they have any idea how to make such a law actually practicable. All of the examples of how they think it could work (generally from the UK, as both yourself and proponents such as lazygal and volchitsa will attest) turn out to be examples of legislation which is supported by international cooperation (which would be limited to the point of uselessness in the case of abortion legislation) and yet still achieve next to no convictions and no evidence of causing a measurable reduction in the incidence of the crime. That may be an indication of why many of those who oppose abortion see no value in seeking to extend our jurisdiction beyond our borders. As I've said before, if someone can come up with a practicable solution I'd certainly support it. But I very much doubt those who simply use the concept as a stalking horse are likely to come up with one.

• Advertisement

I'd suggest legislation that makes it a criminal offense to intentionally destroy unborn human life, perhaps carrying some sort of incarceratory penalty? That would likely dissuade many of those with the facility to carry out such an abortion from doing so. We could also prohibit the provision of abortifacient drugs, with similar penalties, which would dissuade people from providing you with the necessary means to do it yourself. And of course, we could also apply the first offense to anyone who undertook the destruction of their unborn infants life themselves; weighing nine months pregnancy against fourteen years imprisonment might dissuade some people from such a course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭robdonn

No, it's not the same situation: the man on the trolley already was alive before the other person was procured to sustain his life. A baby isn't a foreign body that develops outside and enters in. Why this 'literary device' and phoney scenario?

Well I didn't bring it up so I can't answer your last question there, but Delirium has explained over and over that both situations raise the question of whether someone should be forced to use their body to sustain the life of someone else. In one situation it is ok, in another it is not. Why is it wrong to do it for someone who was already alive? And are you now claiming that the unborn is not alive?
    Why so strict that the conversation must acknowledge and go by your wording and definitions? As if by using the word 'child' we wouldn't know we were discussing human offspring...

I'm not being strict about anything, I am simply clarrifying what I understand "human" to mean when I give my answer. If this unsettles you then I shall try to be more vague in the future.

I'd suggest legislation that makes it a criminal offense to intentionally destroy unborn human life, perhaps carrying some sort of incarceratory penalty? That would likely dissuade many of those with the facility to carry out such an abortion from doing so. We could also prohibit the provision of abortifacient drugs, with similar penalties, which would dissuade people from providing you with the necessary means to do it yourself. And of course, we could also apply the first offense to anyone who undertook the destruction of their unborn infants life themselves; weighing nine months pregnancy against fourteen years imprisonment might dissuade some people from such a course.

Sounds like a good plan, although I'd imagine that you could have at least 3,500 people bypass these measures annually with a bit of extra cash and a passport.

Sounds like a good plan, although I'd imagine that you could have at least 3,500 people bypass these measures annually with a bit of extra cash and a passport.
    True, that is possible. I imagine that would be probably a few less than those who avoid being prosecuted for drink driving every year, and a few more than avoid being prosecuted for murder every year. Perhaps as part of the new State ethics classes in primary schools we could inculcate a moral distaste for performing acts that are illegal in Ireland in other countries? I reckon it could be at least as successful as MrPs idea of extending our jurisdiction.

True, that is possible. I imagine that would be probably a few less than those who avoid being prosecuted for drink driving every year, and a few more than avoid being prosecuted for murder every year. Perhaps as part of the new State ethics classes in primary schools we could inculcate a moral distaste for performing acts that are illegal in Ireland in other countries? I reckon it could be at least as successful as MrPs idea of extending our jurisdiction.

Would that include blasphemy and going to the pub on Good Friday?

Would that include blasphemy and going to the pub on Good Friday?
    I certainly wouldn't advocate encouraging children to engage in any illegal acts, would you?

I certainly wouldn't advocate encouraging children to engage in any illegal acts, would you?

But we're talking about acts that are only illegal here, and performing them in countries where they are not illegal. I would encourage children to respect the laws of whatever country they are in, wouldn't you?

But we're talking about acts that are only illegal here, and performing them in countries where they are not illegal. I would encourage children to respect the laws of whatever country they are in, wouldn't you?
    Oh sure, though 'respecting the laws of whatever country they are in' seems to be wandering a little astray of 'inculcating a moral distaste for performing acts that are illegal in Ireland in other countries' but I imagine we could do both. I suspect teaching someone to take advantage of the difference between laws in countries might not really count as teaching them to respect them though.

Oh sure, though 'respecting the laws of whatever country they are in' seems to be wandering a little astray of 'inculcating a moral distaste for performing acts that are illegal in Ireland in other countries' but I imagine we could do both. I suspect teaching someone to take advantage of the difference between laws in countries might not really count as teaching them to respect them though.

I don't see why someone has to agree with a law to respect it. I do not agree with Ireland's current abortion laws, but I wouldn't have an abortion in Ireland (if I was both biologically capable and in a situation beyond those that make it legally available to me). Even terrible laws need to be followed, which is where 'respecting the laws of whatever country they are in' comes in.

And I don't believe anyone has suggested teaching children to take advantage of the difference between laws in countries. The fact that such a law may not exist outside of Ireland, in similar nations that follow the same human rights conventions, may simply indicate that Ireland's laws might not be objectively moral or correct.

• Advertisement

I don't see why someone has to agree with a law to respect it. I do not agree with Ireland's current abortion laws, but I wouldn't have an abortion in Ireland (if I was both biologically capable and in a situation beyond those that make it legally available to me). Even terrible laws need to be followed, which is where 'respecting the laws of whatever country they are in' comes in.
    Well.. I'm not sure where you got to 'agree with' from respect, but if you recall, my suggestion was actually that we inculcate a moral distaste for performing acts that are illegal in Ireland in other countries.
    And I don't believe anyone has suggested teaching children to take advantage of the difference between laws in countries. The fact that such a law may not exist outside of Ireland, in similar nations that follow the same human rights conventions, may simply indicate that Ireland's laws might not be objectively moral or correct.
    Sure, and equally it may simply indicate that those other country's laws may not be objectively moral or correct. Either way, inculcating a moral distaste for performing acts that are illegal in Ireland in other countries, whilst they respect the laws of whatever country they are in, without taking advantage of the disparity between the laws of both certainly seems like a jolly good idea. There we go.

Advertisement