Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sanctity of Life (Abortion Megathread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

lazygal wrote: »
    She did ask for an abortion. Is that irrelevant? Should her request for an abortion have been acceded to?

What medical school did she graduate from?

eviltwin wrote: »
    What people would they be?

Sovereign people.

Jayop wrote: »
    OK, so please answer a straightforward question with a straight forward answer then.

You agree that they didn't do their jobs right. So in this instance it's almost universally agreed that the woman could/would have survived had she been given an abortion as allowed under the 8th because of the risk to her life and the fact there was no chance of the fetus surviving.

Agreed by whom universally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

hinault wrote: »
    Agreed by whom universally?

Any medical professionals that I've seen or read comment on the subject. I referenced an article linked by a crass anti abortion website a few pages back that provided two doctors views.

Also I said almost universally. A big difference.

• Advertisement

Any medical professionals that I've seen or read comment on the subject..

Bias confirmation.

Haha fantastic. That's twice in two posts you've misquoted me or selectively quoted me.

Haha fantastic. That's twice in two posts you've misquoted me or selectively quoted me.

What you read informs your bias.

What you read informs your bias.

Yeah I've seen some of your sources so I guess that explains a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Sovereign people.

...just not too sovereign from the Vatican.

• Moderators Posts: 51,765 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Very disappointing. No evidence of wrong-doing has been found but seems rumour and innuendo is enough to do damage.

Especially when it's another affliate that doesn't actually have a foetal tissue donation program. I could understand the defund if they actually were facilitating tissue donation, but they're not!
    A spokeswoman for the Planned Parenthood Federation of America, the organization’s national wing, cited security concerns. So far, affiliates in Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Indiana and Florida have denied having any form of a tissue donation program.

Source

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Two Sheds

It'll depend on who's treating you. I specifically chose a consultant who was in favour of early intervention before a problem became a crisis. I've had to deal with those who weren't. Luckily I was able to deal with them. Anyway why is my life depending on percentages? What will my husband and kids be told, that I was only at a 5% risk of death so they left me to miscarry without intervening at 18 weeks, and they couldn't intervene because the dying foetus has the same status as me?
    It happens all the time, doesn't it!:rolleyes:

Scaremongering nonsense!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭robdonn

Earlier in this thread it was pointed out that the National Union of Journalists policy is not to report about abortion.

Really? Where was that shown? According to the NUJ's own Delegates Meeting in 2014 they said something quite the opposite.
    A motion praising the conference also brought a discussion about the issue of abortion and a woman's right to choose in the Republic and Northern Ireland. Conference agreed to remind journalists to ensure fair and free reporting of all sides of that debate.

Two Sheds wrote: »

Scaremongering nonsense!

How about you answer the question instead the question instead of being patronising/glib?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Scaremongering nonsense!

How many times have you used the maternity services in Ireland?

robdonn wrote: »
    Really? Where was that shown? According to the NUJ's own Delegates Meeting in 2014 they said something quite the opposite.
    Did you miss the rest of that quote -
    Conference agreed to remind journalists to ensure fair and free reporting of all sides of that debate. It instructed NEC to provide support and materials to branches to enable this and to "actively support any campaign to have British abortion legislation extended to Northern Ireland".
    https://www.nuj.org.uk/news/dm2014-the-future-of-journalism/

How many times have you used the maternity services in Ireland?
    Several times. In fact, I have something of an inside track. I know scaremongering when I see it.

Of course not, it just had no relevence to your claim of:
    ... the National Union of Journalists policy is not to report about abortion.

And you dropped the last line of the paragraph:
    Eamon McCann, NEC member, said it was a matter of having parity throughout the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Several times. In fact, I have something of an inside track. I know scaremongering when I see it.

What inside track do you have?

I know scaremongering when I see it.

I'm not surprised, you're not averse to using it yourself, remember?
    I'm sure you're aware that intact, born babies are routinely left to die in the UK and US.

Of course not, it just had no relevence to your claim of:
    Not my claim.

But it's well established that the British NUJ is foursquare behind legalising abortion on demand. That's part of the reason for the overwhelming bias in the Irish media. Any journalist who steps out of line is likely to find himself in a cold place.

A free press me arse! We can't even manage to have our own journalists' union.

I'm not surprised, you're not averse to using it yourself, remember?
    You could always do a simple search. Who knows - you might learn something.
    scores of babies are being born alive and left to die, an official report has revealed.

Not my claim.

It is a claim that you support, or else why bring it up in the manner that you did? Or do you not support it anymore?
    But it's well established that the British NUJ is foursquare behind legalising abortion on demand. That's part of the reason for the overwhelming bias in the Irish media. Any journalist who steps out of line is likely to find himself in a cold place.

Oh I see, we're changing the argument now. I believe that you once accused me of sidestepping...

It is a claim that you support, or else why bring it up in the manner that you did? Or do you not support it anymore?

Oh I see, we're changing the argument now. I believe that you once accused me of sidestepping...
    Are you on something? I didn't make the claim, so how could I sidestep it?

You could always do a simple search. Who knows - you might learn something.

Interesting how suddenly the word "routinely" is dropped. That is a story about abortions that went wrong, not about a general practise as your wording was designed to reflect.

Are you on something? I didn't make the claim, so how could I sidestep it?

Haha, you're right! I'm actually really sorry, I've mixed up your posts with Hinault.

Apologies for that! :P

Interesting how suddenly the word "routinely" is dropped. That is a story about abortions that went wrong, not about a general practise as your wording was designed to reflect.
    You're assuming it's not general or deliberate practise - the Planned Parenthood scandal should give everybody pause for thought.
    Do we know what became of the bodies after the babies were allowed die?

• Advertisement

You're assuming it's not general or deliberate practise - the Planned Parenthood scandal should give everybody pause for thought.

And you're presuming that it is, and as Planned Parenthood have not actually been shown to have done anything wrong, we have no reason to make any other assumptions.

Advertisement