Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sanctity of Life (Abortion Megathread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

When I was born, safe and sound in a religious run hospital. No dirty wards like in Rhona's hospital.

You seem to have a fixation with Dr. Mahony.
    She delivered my children. In a very clean theatre.
    And your experience of the maternity services here is limited to ... being born. Okay then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

lazygal wrote: »
    And your experience of the maternity services here is limited to ... being born. Okay then.

I'm a man and I have more extensive experience with the maternity services in Ireland than Menorca.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭robdonn

Fantastic news. :)

Awful news! These clinics are not abortion factories, they offer a huge amount of sexual health services to the public and have now lost state funding due to an alleged, and unsupported, claim. I believe the phrase "Throwing the baby out with the bath water" comes to mind.

robdonn wrote: »
    Awful news! These clinics are not abortion factories, they offer a huge amount of sexual health services to the public and have now lost state funding due to an alleged, and unsupported, claim. I believe the phrase "Throwing the baby out with the bath water" comes to mind.

As a direct result of these facilities losing funding or closing there will very likely be more crisis pregnancies and more woman seeking abortions.

Fantastic news indeed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Black Menorca

Jayop wrote: »
    So are you insinuating that I'm somehow suggesting that teh doctors in Galway let this happen to make a political statement to force the liberalisation of abortion?

If not then I have no idea what that post means.

If so then you have pulled that from your backside.

Could we have a little less of the graphic language please? It's becoming a bit of a habit now and serves to purpose.

Abortion friendly doctors such as the Master of Holles Street has claimed doctors are 'afraid' to terminate a pregnancy.

Follow the guidelines Rhona and you'll have nothing to fear.

• Advertisement

Alas, the good doctor Mahony has a fixation with liberalising abortion.

If she focused more on cleaning up her hospital, she may do far more good.

Could we have a little less of the graphic language please? It's becoming a bit of a habit now and serves to purpose.

Abortion friendly doctors such as the Master of Holles Street has claimed doctors are 'afraid' to terminate a pregnancy.

Follow the guidelines Rhona and you'll have nothing to fear.

Graphic Language?? :confused:

robdonn wrote: »

Lew PP crash and burn. The evils that pervade in their clinics have no place in a civilised society.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Lew PP crash and burn. The evils that pervade in their clinics have no place in a civilised society.

Abortion aside, if the leave who provides the other services they offer? Counselling, contraception, sexual health checks etc

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭dancingchicken

I'm completely in support of abortion up until the age of about 3 years.
    Honestly though people think nothing of a dog being put down but a human life is considered more precious which is ridiculous. We are all the same we just evolved differently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,516 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Pffffff anyone wants an abortion can just drive a few miles down the road to another clinic, all this has done is cause an inconvenience to the people who need help.

• Moderators Posts: 51,765 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Honestly though people think nothing of a dog being put down but a human life is considered more precious which is ridiculous. We are all the same we just evolved differently

You mean you support abortion and infanticide.

If you can read this, you're too close!

And lets be fair, most people don't think nothing of a dog being put down. You only have to look at the outrage globally about a lion being killed to see that, or the disgust at the recent courtcases in Ireland of cruelty to animals.

In fact, if more people cared about the lives of kids than seemed to care about the lion there mightn't be as many kids dying every day around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Completely moving the goalposts - this isn't a thread about animal euthanization. Perhaps the Animals and Pet Issues forum is more suitable for that topic.
    Pffffff anyone wants an abortion can just drive a few miles down the road to another clinic, all this has done is cause an inconvenience to the people who need help.

A few miles? Eh, they're abortion clinics not gas stations. They are already controversial enough. They are actually expensive things to operate because in addition to being clinics you have to have security against yahoos that try to vandalize such places. Couple million dollars goes into setting up and running a single clinic.

Here is the US map results for 'abortion'. I don't warranty that all of these hits actually perform abortions. To wit, planned parenthood results appear even in states that they dont perform abortions in (Illinois for instance) not to say Illinois doesn't have any abortion clinics, just not PP. So assuming that not all of these hits perform abortions, you can see that there are large spans of territory between people and a clinic. If you live in Lander, Wyoming, it's not exactly around the corner. That said, we still go back to the fact that PP abortion services count for 3% of their total service performances, the rest are related to other womens health.

edit: here's a curated map of results showing verified abortion facilities in the US - http://batchgeo.com/map/5301dd0dce3d4e62a57d765d99ced353

Back to that point though, my friend who is not a boardsie but is following this topic with me had an abortion a few years ago: living in Charleston, there is only 1 facility that actually performs abortions in West Ashley, but hers was a 2nd trimester abortion (was on the pill, still had her normal period through first trimester so it was discovered later), so because of SC law she had to drive to Atlanta, front the cost of a hotel room, $300 for the op and more for her pain meds but on the bright side the antibiotics were free. So, in some cases that "extra few miles" is really 300+ miles each way (oh lets not forget transportation cost). Do you see how low income women can't afford that? Even when you find a nearby clinic, its not free the same way services are in Ireland (I miss my childhood dental care), you still pay something substantial out of pocket.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Abortion aside, if the leave who provides the other services they offer? Counselling, contraception, sexual health checks etc

There are Federal programmes already in place throughout the US who can provide said services.

Life after the nefarious PP will be just dandy.

Withdrawing Federal and State funding for grubby enterprises like PP is making a statement about the morals of a country.

Delirium wrote: »
    You mean you support abortion and infanticide.

Dancingchicken was joking.

There are Federal programmes already in place throughout the US who can provide said services.

You're acting as if PP is on the brink of shutting down :rolleyes:

Can people in Ireland donate to it?

Considering 2+ million Americans avail of their healthcare services (e.g. cancer/STI/diabetes checks), it would seem that the government don't provide enough programmes.

• Advertisement

We're a heck of a lot closer to such a wonderful outcome than ever before. :)

Judging by the 5 videos, they'll take money from anyone for all sorts of services rendered.

We're a heck of a lot closer to such a wonderful outcome than ever before. :)

Where is your evidence for this?

Hint: wishful thinking does not = evidence.

Delirium wrote: »
    Considering 2+ million Americans avail of their healthcare services (e.g. cancer/STI/diabetes checks), it would seem that the government don't provide enough programmes.

One thing the Republican dominated Congress will ensure that more funding will go to such programmes in a post-PP scenario.

Where is your evidence for this?

Hint: wishful thinking does not = evidence.

States defunding PP will set the ball rolling.

States defunding PP will set the ball rolling.

How many states are "defunding" PP?

One thing the Republican dominated Congress will ensure that more funding will go to such programmes in a post-PP scenario.
    which would suggest that there currently isn't adequate healthcare in a lot of cases.

Judging by the 5 videos, they'll take money from anyone for all sorts of services rendered.

So I can donate to this essential service. Good to know.

You still haven't said what graphic language was used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

It's only fair when Tom Monaghan pumps money into crypto-fascists like Youth Defence.

Advertisement