Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sanctity of Life (Abortion Megathread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Nobody suggested that once.

What was suggested was;

and

Would you care to attack either of these posts and not the strawman that you've built?

The strawman is that someone "qualified" in dentistry would have the experience and the medical knowledge to know if an abortion is a cure for sepsis.

The strawman here is built by others.

Delirium wrote: »
    So quoted a post that had no relation to your question about opticians? :confused:

You're confused.

hinault wrote: »
    The strawman is that someone "qualified" in dentistry would have the knowledge and the experience and the medical knowledge to know if an abortion is a cure for sepsis.
    Precisely. You wrote this. Nobody else suggested anything like it.
    The strawman here is built by others.
    No, others suggested that she might be familiar with sepsis, and its symptoms and risks, as was quoted verbatim in the post you've just responded to.

No, others suggested that she might be familiar with sepsis, and its symptoms,

What exactly was her qualification in dentistry?
    Was she a qualified dentist?

And how did this qualification enable her to give an accurate diagnosis for her pregnancy?

What exactly was her qualification in dentistry?
    I don't know, but it was a qualification which enabled her to work as a dentist in Ireland.
    Was she a qualified dentist?
    Yes otherwise it would have been exceptionally strange of the media to consistently refer to her as a dentist.
    https://www.google.ie/search?q=Savita+Halappanavar+dentist&oq=Savita+Halappanavar+dentist&aqs=chrome..69i57.1775j0j1&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8#q=%22Savita+Halappanavar%22+dentist
    And how did this qualification enable her to give an accurate diagnosis for her pregnancy?
    It didn't, nor, once again, has anyone suggested (bar yourself) that it might. What was suggested, and what was cited, was that as a dentist Savita might have been aware of the risks and symptoms of Sepsis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Two Sheds

Delirium wrote: »
    *sigh*

She made an ironic joke. She couldn't possibly afford a Lamborghini via the business of providing donated foetal tissue to labs because it's illegal to make a profit.
    You can puff all you want. You seem determined to persuade us that the quip was made in relation to costs. You're trying too hard.

Nobody believes that, which is why it made headlines.

I don't know, but it was a qualification which enabled her to work as a dentist in Ireland.

Yes otherwise it would have been exceptionally strange of the media to consistently refer to her as a dentist.
    https://www.google.ie/search?q=Savita+Halappanavar+dentist&oq=Savita+Halappanavar+dentist&aqs=chrome..69i57.1775j0j1&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8#q=%22Savita+Halappanavar%22+dentist

The media consistently get their reportage wrong too.

It didn't, nor, once again, has anyone suggested (bar yourself) that it might. What was suggested, and what was cited, was that as a dentist Savita might have been aware of the risks and symptoms of Sepsis.

Like the optician might correctly diagnose the treatment for heart palpitations.

I won't waste time replying further to you on this thread either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭robdonn

Right, no more referencing the media in support of your argument then. They apparently can't be trusted.
    Like the optician might correctly diagnose the treatment for heart palpitations.

No they wouldn't, but an Optometrist might be aware of the risks and symptoms of Sepsis.
    I won't waste time replying further to you on this thread as well.

You do realise that this is the online equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears, right?

Two Sheds wrote: »
    You can puff all you want. You seem determined to persuade us that the quip was made in relation to costs. You're trying too hard.

Nobody believes that, which is why it made headlines.

Does your entire argument base itself on your interpretation of this joke?

Okay, can you find a single source that suggests she was anything other than a dentist?
    Nothing to do with treatment in anyone's posts bar your own.
    Recognition of risks & symptoms do not mean you can diagnose anything, nor has this been suggested!
    As a simple example, I hope that you would have some ability to recognise the symptoms of a stroke in a friend. Nobody is suggesting that being able to recognise those symptoms infers that you automatically possess the ability or knowledge in recommending treatment for a stroke victim.
    I won't waste time replying further to you on this thread either
    That's absolutely up to you. I would not care to compel another to do anything against their will, and so will be happy to leave that decision to you to make as yours, and yours only.

• Advertisement

robdonn wrote: »
    Does your entire argument base itself on your interpretation of this joke?
    It's not just my interpretation. Her 'joke' didn't go viral because she was talking about costs; it went viral because she was talking about selling baby parts for profit.

I'm with the majority on this. Some people have no sense of humour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

If that joke is "viral" I dont know what viral means anymore.

No they wouldn't,

So why expect a "dentist" to do so then?

It's not just my interpretation. Her 'joke' didn't go viral because she was talking about costs; it went viral because she was talking about selling baby parts for profit.

So it only went viral, and is only damning, in the context of her selling baby parts for profit, but since you and everyone else have yet to actually give any evidence that she was selling baby parts for profit...

And before you complain, no, no you have not actually provided evidence that that conversation was about selling specimens for profit. At no point have you made a convincing argument that your interpretation of the conversation indicates that at all.
    I'm with the majority on this.

Good for you! I really hope that you argumentum ad populum works well for you.

And again...

And why is a dentist now a "dentist"? Do you think that the use of quotation marks in any way changes her qualifications?

And why is a dentist now a "dentist"? Do you think that the use of quotation marks in any way changes her qualifications?

Why not?

So it only went viral, and is only damning, in the context of her selling baby parts for profit, but since you and everyone else have yet to actually give any evidence that she was selling baby parts for profit...

And before you complain, no, no you have not actually provided evidence that that conversation was about selling specimens for profit. At no point have you made a convincing argument that your interpretation of the conversation indicates that at all.
    The supporters of Planned Parenthood will never admit to being convinced. That's a given.

Good for you! I really hope that you argumentum ad populum works well for you.
    That's the thing about humour - most people 'get it' but there's always one ....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

What's a "dentist"?

lazygal wrote: »
    What's a "dentist"?

It's someone with no qualification and no experience who diagnoses that an abortion is a cure for sepsis.

It's someone with no qualification and no experience who diagnoses that an abortion is a cure for sepsis.

So different from a dentist?

• Advertisement

So different from a dentist?

I'll leave that for you to decide.

I'll leave that for you to decide.

Why? You said "dentist". Why the inverted commas.

Why? You said "dentist". Why the inverted commas.

Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,516 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

It's someone with no qualification and no experience who diagnoses that an abortion is NOT cure for sepsis.

Unlike the medical experts on here like yourself and BM?

Unlike the medical experts on here like yourself and BM?

That's quackery for you.

Why not?

So you've given up on rational discourse? Good to know.

So you've given up on rational discourse? Good to know.

I haven't given up on anything here.:)

The supporters of Planned Parenthood will never admit to being convinced. That's a given.

No that's an assumption and a mischaracterisation of the people you are talking to.

Everybody here, I hope, would admit fault when shown, just as I (embarrassingly) railed at you for comments that Hinault had made and was shown to be mistaken.

I can't speak for everyone but I would have no problem with accepting and announcing their guilt if it was actually evident. It would not cause me to withdraw my support of abortion services in general or any of the other sexual health services that they provide, so admitting their guilt would not be difficult to do. What does make it difficult though is the complete lack of evidence that they have actually done anything wrong!

I haven't given up on anything here.:)

Well that's good, you're entertaining. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,765 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Why not?

Because the meaning is unclear. It suggests that you don't recognise the person as actually being a dentist.

If you can read this, you're too close!

Advertisement