Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sanctity of Life (Abortion Megathread)

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 51,779 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

There are many, many, many other resources dedicated to cancer screening/testing for women in the USA, few of which carry out 300,000 abortions per year.

Adds: A few different sources have different percentage breakdown of services provided. According to PP's own annual report 2014:
    935,973 - cancer screening
    4,470,597 - STI/STD test/treatment
    3,577,348 - contraception
    1,147,467 - other women's health services
    327,653 - abortion
    131,795 - other services

10,590833 - Total
    *numbers are persons 'treated'

Seems to me that the cancer services account for less than 10% of PP's activities but don't let that stop you from posting inaccurate graphs and by all means, continue with your view that PP is somehow primarily a cancer care operation.

where have I claimed that? all I've said is that cancer screening accounts for more than abortion.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Black Menorca

Delirium wrote: »
    fight the 'abortion industry' by defunding cancer screening programmes. Makes perfect sense :confused:

Defunding the flag carrier for unborn baby killing.

You got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

You got it.

I think nature can claim first prize for unborn baby killing.

3x the amount of abortion services! I assume you'll be asking those presenting PP as primarily an abortion provider to keep that in check too?

Over 300,000 babies massacred in PP abortion clinics.

Yet that doesn't seem to phase some people.

How does such horrific carnage become acceptable?

lazygal wrote: »
    I think nature can claim first prize for unborn baby killing.

As a species, we little or control over nature.

However as a species, we have the shame of killing our own, most defenceless kind and the cosy liberal consensus doesn't bat an eyelid. In fact, they celebrate it and dress it up as being progressive.

Now thats some mental reservation.

• Advertisement

You got it.

Yeah, because them making contraceptives easily available really increases pregancy (and subsequently abortion) rates.:rolleyes:

Yeah, because them making contraceptives easily available really increases pregancy (and subsequently abortion) rates.:rolleyes:

You talk about being pregnant as if its some form of disease.

How negative.

How negative.

so if a person mentions contraceptives, you consider them to be suggesting that pregnancy is a type of disease? I'm going to presume you skipped your morning coffee to post such a gaffe.

You do realise that not every woman who has sex wishes to become preganant? Ergo, they use contraceptives.

so if a person mentions contraceptives, you consider them to be suggesting that pregnancy is a type of disease? I'm going to presume you skipped your morning coffee to post such a gaffe.

You do realise that not every woman who has sex wishes to become preganant? Ergo, they use contraceptives.

Your attitude to pregnancy, as displayed in this thread is ultra negative to my eyes.

So, over 300K abortions carrined out in 2014 by PP.

How does that sit with you. 300,000 deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,929 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

and there we have it folks, 'by an means necessary'. No investigations, no due process.

I wonder if those "any means" include screaming the Christian equivalent of "ALLAHU AKBAR!!!" when someone bombs any of PP's property?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

where have I claimed that? all I've said is that cancer screening accounts for more than abortion.

You started about 9:16 am. You continue to mention the cancer screening process (which I 'm sure you didn't know about until very recently...maybe 3 hours ago?) and suddenly it becomes "fight the 'abortion industry' by defunding cancer screening programmes. Makes perfect sense"
    Planned Parenthood isn't a cancer screening programme. They have expanded to provide that service but it isn't the reason for its being.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

How negative.

How many times have you been pregnant? You do know pregnancy can trigger certain diseases?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

How negative.

For some women it's worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

You started about 9:16 am. You continue to mention the cancer screening process (which I 'm sure you didn't know about until very recently...maybe 3 hours ago?) and suddenly it becomes "fight the 'abortion industry' by defunding cancer screening programmes. Makes perfect sense"
    Planned Parenthood isn't a cancer screening programme. They have expanded to provide that service but it isn't the reason for its being.

Quite true, it is mainly concerned with family planning, std detection and treatment, health education, other health services.

Your attitude to pregnancy, as displayed in this thread is ultra negative to my eyes.

I'd rather they never happen. That been said, I won't support a policy which removes the choice of women whether or not to have an abortion.

None of that contradicts my post that you're responding to. I've never stated PP are only providing cancer screening. Federal money isn't allowed to be used on abortion services by PP, so their other services are being defunded by states withdrawing funding.

You misunderstood my posts to mean that I was claiming PP is primarily a cancer screening provider. Never said that, and not saying that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Two Sheds

No wonder so many Democrat politicians want to continue giving taxpayers' money to Planned Parenthood - it's a means of effectively turning public funds into political donations.
    66gg8w.png

http://influenceexplorer.com/organization/planned-parenthood/a3bf2b2a33a84534a706a2d04c52de95

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Two Sheds

I stand corrected.
    The New York Times finally corrected two Planned Parenthood stories Monday — more than two weeks after they were published — acknowledging The Center for Medical Progress did not withhold critical information from the public when it published the first undercover video...
    ..the (NY)Times repeated the false report in a July 22 editorial.

NYT Finally Corrects Erroneous Planned Parenthood Stories

appreciate the link, Two Sheds :) That must have been where I picked up the wrong information about release dates of the videos. Thanks.

I wonder if those "any means" include screaming the Christian equivalent of "ALLAHU AKBAR!!!" when someone bombs any of PP's property?

*Shakes head in dismay*

lazygal wrote: »
    How many times have you been pregnant? You do know pregnancy can trigger certain diseases?

Leaving the house exposes one to infection.

Seriously. Is this the level we can expect going forward in this thread? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

For some women it's worse.

Go on?

I'd rather they never happen. That been said, I won't support a policy which removes the choice of women whether or not to have an abortion.

Where did we go wrong as a society where people can sit so easily with millions of babies around the world being killed in the womb. While on the other hand, those same people get all concerned when there's a famine in Ethiopia?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Go on?

Well for a 14 year old carrying her rapists baby it would be. Or are you of the ilk who think that young woman should be forced to carry that baby to term and deliver it?

Leaving the house exposes one to infection.

Seriously. Is this the level we can expect going forward in this thread? :rolleyes:
    Says the poster condoning defunding without investigation to confirm wrongdoing.
    Pot meet Kettle.
    Where did we go wrong as a society where people can sit so easily with millions of babies around the world being killed in the womb. While on the other hand, those same people get all concerned when there's a famine in Ethiopia?
    Personally, there is a huge difference between a 5 year old child suffering through a famine compared to a foetus the size of a kidney bean.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,792 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I'm not up on multi quoting. But here goes.

House republicans hate PP with all their hearts and for the first time have the momentum to carry out a cull on their nefarious deeds. They won't be found wanting.
    The burden of proof is yours; Republicans are a pretty diverse group though, I think you'll have a hard time holding this sweeping statement over your shoulders. But frankly skip this, and see my point below about toxic politics.
    I watched all of the Fox debate. I was asking if the Irish media would continue its censorship of negative stories about the abortion industry in their reportage of the debate?
    You could give it a litmus test: use social media or other means to contact media figureheads (eg. Ray Darcy, show hosts) to see if they are willing to talk about it or not, and/or why.
    Taking down the public face of abortion in America would be, by far, the greatest single achievement of the Pro-Life Movement of this century.
    That is a much better rounded statement of your opinion, fair enough :)
    If not name your choice of achievement that 'trumps' it.

I can't; its not that I think you are equivocally wrong in your supposition - I just think its kind of pitiful that is the movements greatest accomplishment in 100 years.

I want to actually be able to say "its shameful they did undercover this or that etc" but tbh if it was something I felt was a rightful cause I'd support that action, as well. Edward Snowden something something, you know? I'm more frustrated that, the group passionately wanted to pull a trigger on PP but from the way its going I get the feeling it will ultimately accomplish little at a large expense, particularly the expense of other womens health issues and money spent investigating the matter - then again, I bet the investigations cost less than the money donated. That said, the money given has a strict clause on it that its not used for abortions, and PP is audited annually or more frequently in that regard, as part of that relationship.

So, at the end of the day, I think the way the group went about fighting for their viewpoints was nothing if not both passionate and misguided.
    Have they ever denied killing unborn babies?

No.

So put them on lockdown.
    Despite how you may feel about abortion BM, the fact that PP performs abortions is not justification to shut the group down, because abortions are a valid, legal procedure, which is upheld by the Supreme Court of the United States ruling on Roe vs. Wade.

It is somewhat analagous to saying such and such congregation must be shut down because they perform 1 or 2 gay marriages a year in addition to a hundred other traditional marriages: it may offend some, but if gay marriage is legal, what justification is that by itself to shut something down? Fact is: it isn't.

While it is no doubt true many Republicans may personally wish to legislate to dissolve the legal effect of Roe vs. Wade, in US politics thats always been a toxic issue for anyone taking it up (you lose the women vote really rather fast); therefore, you need more than just "They are killing babies performing legal abortions as guaranteed under Roe vs Wade," because the public won't support that argument long enough to make it to a vote or referendum*. you would actually need some proof that the organization is genuinely doing something that is illegal under the laws of the United States. Even then, depending on what those violations are, it could merely be a slap on the wrist (see the 4 citations Florida issued to Planned Parenthood so far during their investigation - each will seem them fined for a whopping five hundred dollars).

*The Pew Research Center says that a majority of adults in the U.S. - 51 percent of the population - believe that abortion should be legal in all or most cases. Only 43 percent believe abortion should be illegal all or most of the time. A regional breakdown of the Great Lakes region of the country (which included Wisconsin) showed that 41 percent agree with Walker. His perspective would be more welcome in the South Central part of the U.S., where 52 percent say abortion should be illegal.
    Seems to me that the cancer services account for less than 10% of PP's activities but don't let that stop you from posting inaccurate graphs and by all means, continue with your view that PP is somehow primarily a cancer care operation.

Theres a word for this: when you're not confident in your own argument, you try to predelict/shine spotlight on your opponents upcoming counter-argument to try and pre-deflate it. What I'm hearing is that you're afraid of facts figures and statistics.

That's false; less than 300,000 of that figure is actual abortion operation. Services are counted as line items: For each abortion you would at a minimum need a patient consultation (1) pre-op (2) op (3) post-op care (4), so on the average of about 3-4 services per patient per abortion.

Two Sheds wrote: »
    No wonder so many Democrat politicians want to continue giving taxpayers' money to Planned Parenthood - it's a means of effectively turning public funds into political donations.
    66gg8w.png

http://influenceexplorer.com/organization/planned-parenthood/a3bf2b2a33a84534a706a2d04c52de95

Thats politics as usual; you won't find a man or woman on the hill who isn't influenced by someone else's dollar. I'm more alarmed by Citizens United to be frank.

Either way, lets say I'm an employee at a brick and mortar store - in most US states, you don't pay Sales Tax on purchases made online (like Amazon.com). So if a politician I like in my state came out in favor of legslation for online sales tax, it is in my own interest to contribute to their campaign to get that legislation passed. There is nothing illegal about that, either. Similarly, I'm not surprised that employees of PP see an interest in donating to politicians out of their own pocket, that are willing to ensure their jobs are not destroyed.

MOD NOTE

There's already been a warning to other posters about needless hyperbole/sensationalism. So let's try to keep the tone of the thread somewhat measured please.

Thanks for your attention.

Is it the saaame people though?

Is it really?

Well for a 14 year old carrying her rapists baby it would be. Or are you of the ilk who think that young woman should be forced to carry that baby to term and deliver it?

Yes, why should any human be executed for the violent crimes of her father?

• Advertisement

Says the poster condoning defunding without investigation go confirm wrongdoing.
    Pot meet Kettle.

Personally, there is a huge difference between a 5 year old child suffering through a famine compared to a foetus the size of a kidney bean.

The wrong doing is the wholsale massacre of unborn babies. But for some, thats cushty.

Advertisement