Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sanctity of Life (Abortion Megathread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,516 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

You clearly don't like it when your request is answered and it doesn't suit your agenda. :)

Intent to save life is Prime in justified terminations to save someone's life.

But not to save the body and mind of a 14 year old rape victim right? Lock her away and force her to give birth because your imaginary "god" says so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Black Menorca

But not to save the body and mind of a 14 year old rape victim right? Lock her away and force her to give birth because your imaginary "god" says so.

Executing an unborn baby for the violent crime of her father can never be justified from my perspective.

Executing an unborn baby for the violent crime of her father can never be justified from my perspective.

And forcing violence upon the body and mind of an already traumatised child can never be justified from my perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭volchitsa

My question was not about your perspective, it was about the fact that you invoke God in your defence. How do you know he agrees that any kinds of killing are acceptable, and in this case specifically the idea of choosing the woman over the fetus? Where does it say that in the bible?

Do not kill is pretty clear. You're the one who has hedged that about with addenda here. Where do they come from? God?

You clearly don't like it when your request is answered and it doesn't suit your agenda. :)

Intent to save life is Prime in justified terminations to save someone's life.

Where did God say that? Or do you think he won't notice what's happening at the same time if you try really hard not to think about that part of what the doctor is doing?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,765 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

No need to judge my ability to comprehend. Please refrain in future.

This is a discussion forum. Anyone can reply to a post as long as they don't breach the charter.

If you can read this, you're too close!

volchitsa wrote: »
    My question was not about your perspective, it was about the fact that you invoke God in your defence. How do you know he agrees that any kinds of killing are acceptable, and in this case specifically the idea of choosing the woman over the fetus? Where does it say that in the bible?

Do not kill is pretty clear. You're the one who has hedged that about with addenda here. Where do they come from? God?

I'll take my chances on Judgement Day.

Where did God say that? Or do you think he won't notice what's happening at the same time if you try really hard not to think about that part of what the doctor is doing?

Delirium wrote: »
    This is a discussion forum. Anyone can reply to a post as long as they don't breach the charter.

My request stands.

You have no understanding of intent.

Direct intent: a person has direct intent when they intend a particular consequence of their act.

Oblique intent: a person has oblique intent when the event is a natural consequence of a voluntary act and they foresee it as such
    source

Seems MrP was pretty accurate tbh.

• Advertisement

Another cop out reply when the question gets to tough.

That doesn't answer the question.

source

Seems MrP was pretty accurate tbh.

Absolutely not.

A termination with the intention to save the mother's life from a direct, physical threat, is just that. Even when an unintentional consequence is the tragic death f the baby.

Another cop out reply when the question gets to tough.

I knew you wouldn't like the answer, but its does me just fine.

That doesn't answer the question.

To your satisfaction? Probably not.

But we all have to deal with replies that don't satisfy us from time to time.

My advice would be not to let it eat you up.

I have to deal with similar situations when dealing with abortion advocates, regularly.

I offer it up to the big Guy. He's got big shoulders and can deal with it fat better than i.

Now, I'm off to Mass.

Laters. :)

Absolutely not.

A termination with the intention to save the mother's life from a direct, physical threat, is just that. Even when an unintentional consequence is the tragic death f the baby.

So where in the bible does it state that this is ok?

Remember you are the one who quoted "though shalt not kill".

Absolutely not.

I see we've reached the ostrich phase of this tangent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

You have no understanding of intent.

I actually have a pretty good understanding of intent. That you think I don't indicates you have, as suspected, no clue.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭robdonn

Absolutely not.

There is no unintentional consequence here. A termination's sole purpose, in any circumstance, is the entirely intentional "tragic death of the baby". This outcome is not accidental and it's not a side effect, if this doesn't happen then the termination failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Group releases videos making, as yet unproven, allegations about ilegal activities by Planned Parenthood.

Do PP issue legal writs to censor the allegations? No, they welcome investigations to clear their name.

PP also make (also possibly false) statements about those who released videos. Group behind video issue legal writ to attempt to censor PP from repeating the statements.

That's some mighty fine irony :pac:

And to cap it off, it's from the far-right Christian site World Net Daily.

• Advertisement

So where in the bible does it state that this is ok?

Remember you are the one who quoted "though shalt not kill".

I'm no Biblical scholar, but AFAIK I don't think PP is mentioned once, nor is the act of killing unborn children in the womb.

I see we've reached the ostrich phase of this tangent.

It is, what it is.

robdonn wrote: »
    There is no unintentional consequence here. A termination's sole purpose, in any circumstance, is the entirely intentional "tragic death of the baby". This outcome is not accidental and it's not a side effect, if this doesn't happen then the termination failed.

The intention is to save the mother's life, not to kill the baby.

The intention is to save the mother's life, not to kill the baby.

If I punch you in the face and you die from the resulting fall, but my intention was genuinely just to get your mobile phone, am I guilty just of the phone theft, or of homicide as well?

If I punch you in the face and you die from the resulting fall, but my intention was genuinely just to get your mobile phone, am I guilty just of the phone theft, or of homicide as well?

Homocide? Isn't that an American legal term?

I'm no Biblical scholar, but AFAIK I don't think PP is mentioned once, nor is the act of killing unborn children in the womb.

You stated it's ok to kill a foetus in the womb if it saves the mother's life, why is the death of that foetus ok with you?

Homocide? Isn't that an American legal term?

Manslaughter then, if you prefer. Whatever. The question is the same.

Manslaughter then, if you prefer. Whatever. The question is the same.

Yes, any act of violence, with the intention to do harm to the victim, and the victim dies, manslaughter could well be considered.

You stated it's ok to kill a foetus in the womb if it saves the mother's life

I never said anything of the sort.

Go back and read my posts carefully this time.

• Advertisement

I never said anything of the sort.

Go back and read my posts carefully this time.

I did
    Of course there is and its in tune with the X Case legislation. Where there is a direct threat to the life of the mother, a termination of pregnancy is wholly justifiable, if the doctors deem it necessary.

Advertisement