Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sanctity of Life (Abortion Megathread)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭cattolico

Delirium wrote: »
    Poster didn't say that you said that.

And you'd support imposing that position on those that don't share your opposition to abortion.

Apples and oranges. You've not expressed any support for abortion being available so I don't see what relevance your position to SSM has to do with the discussion.

Opposition to abortion is not a religious one, its a human one. Once you decide that a human being is worth killing then you have created inequality, removed human rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

cattolico wrote: »
    Opposition to abortion is not a religious one, its a human one. Once you decide that a human being is worth killing then you have created inequality, removed human rights.

Once again we come to this :a fetus is not a human being. It has the potential to become one but it is not one yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭La Fenetre

Kev W wrote: »
    Once again we come to this :a fetus is not a human being. It has the potential to become one but it is not one yet.

When does a human life start ?

• Moderators Posts: 51,779 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Where did I say opposition to abortion is a religious stance?

And how does removing bodily autonomy affirm the human rights of the woman?

If you can read this, you're too close!

La Fenetre wrote: »

I'm not getting on that merry-go-round again, thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,796 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I'm sure if you use the search engine on the website you will find a multitude of threads where people with far more interest in that pedantry have argued the question ad infinitum.

As stated dozens of times in this thread already, as far as human rights go, it starts when you are born.
    All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Nick Park

Overheal wrote: »
    As stated dozens of times in this thread already, as far as human rights go, it starts when you are born.

Stating an opinion dozens of times doesn't make that opinion any more valid.

The UN Declaration on the Rights of the Child (a definite human rights issue) contradicts that opinion by stating a child's human rights includes "appropriate legal protection, before as well as after birth".

If we're discussing respect for the human being, what respect would a maldeformed individual have, or a child raised into poverty or a broken home? I must have surely mentioned it to one of your previous masks but in 2000 we reached 6 billion people on the planet. Before 1900 the world never sustained more than 2 billion people. At present, there are 7.3 billion - 1.3 billion people in just 15 years.

In 2100, the UN has calculated the spread: if we begin curtailing our out of control population growth, we can bring the population back down to 6 billion. Unchecked for the sake of 'human dignity and the sanctity of life' we could have as many as 16 billion; the more realistic projection based on human behavior pits us at going for 10 billion people.

We live on a pale blue dot in space. Ecologically, I can't see how the planet can sustain the course we are on. Geopolitically, a blind cry for more dignified births will create the tinder that will spark the next great world war, when resources get more precious and humans continue to encroach on one another. What happened in California? Besides the effects of global climate change piled on by human influences, California's groundwater is already dramatically depleted. Ancient water basins in some places have all but vanished, and ground subsidence has kicked in (see image below showing historical ground elevation), and it is physically impossible to reverse that action, once those basins are collapsed there is no way to refill them.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_in_California

Gwsanjoaquin.jpg

Just one example. We could also looked at China's awful pollution if we wanted to, or the real threats to Canada's wilderness, which accounts for a significant proportion of the globe's CO2 -> Oxygen conversion.

As much as I see abortion as an everyday preservation of the right to control her own body - she can inseminate herself as much as terminate - I see it as a truly necessary freedom, one that will in part help determine the fate of our great grandchildren. How sanctified will life be, if in 100 years we implode on ourselves? More life will be secured if we engage in more sustainable practices for our civilization.

I think the word you are looking for is a 'cull.'

Nick Park wrote: »

The UN Declaration on the Rights of the Child (a definite human rights issue) contradicts that opinion by stating a child's human rights includes "appropriate legal protection, before as well as after birth".

its like talking to a wall.

Right, that's why women aren't using their body to make fetus' deliberately for science and/or profit.
    I think the word you are looking for is a 'cull.'

No, you're referring to something completely different. I suggest you research the definition. If any stretch of the imagination, you might have tried to label it is eugenics, but that is again not what we are discussing.

• Advertisement

No, you're referring to something completely different. I suggest you research the definition. If any stretch of the imagination, you might have tried to label it is eugenics, but that is again not what we are discussing.

No, 'cull' describes your approach much better than 'eugenics'.

'Eugenics' is an attempt, by selective breeding, to improve the genetic stock.

By advocating abortion as a means of population control, you were moving into the territory of culling rather than eugenics.

Btw 'researching the definition' does not mean googling a definition and then reading the first few lines of the definition from an online dictionary, but still not understanding the full meaning of a term. ;)

Culling does not necessarily mean weeding out the inferior stock. It can also refer to killing a number of species simply to reduce the numbers, as with the badger culls that are carried out in the UK. Of course, even in a supposedly indiscriminate process, it is the weaker animals that usually end up getting killed.

So it is with abortion. Although supposedly applied indiscriminately, it is the children with 'undesirable' (in the eyes of the one who makes the choice) traits that still end up getting killed. So, for example, an unborn child is more likely to be aborted if it is female, and much more likely to be aborted if it has a condition such as Down Syndrome.

Another aspect of a cull is that the culled animals may, but not always, be utilised for profit or scientific research. In abortion terms this would involve aborted foetuses being used in laboratories, or even sold as a commercial product.

No, I think the word 'cull' very accurately describes the barbaric concept of using abortion as a tool of human population control.

Overheal's position is basically what Margaret Sanger had. Instead of providing education, jobs we see abortion as a choice..

Overheal's position is basically what Margaret Sanger had. Instead of providing education, jobs we see abortion as a choice..

I don't think I've ever noticed Overheal advocating against education or the creation of jobs, was that on this thread?

I don't think that is fair to Margaret Sanger. Sanger founded Planned Parenthood to promote family planning through contraception, not abortion. Her views on abortion were pretty clear:
    “The real alternative to birth control is abortion,” wrote Dean Inge, in his article already quoted. It is an alternative that I cannot too strongly condemn. Although abortion may be resorted to in order to save the life of the mother, the practice of it merely for limitation of offspring is dangerous and vicious. I bring up the subject here only because some ill-informed persons have the notion that when we speak of birth control we include abortion as a method. We certainly do not. Abortion destroys the already fertilized ovum or the embryo; contraception, as I have carefully explained, prevents the fertilizing of the ovum by keeping the male cells away. Thus it prevents the beginning of life.
    Margaret Sanger "Birth Control Advances: A Reply to the Pope," 1931.

I don't think that is fair to Margaret Sanger. Sanger founded Planned Parenthood to promote family planning through contraception, not abortion. Her views on abortion were pretty clear:

In fairness to Catollico, Sanger has been victim of a vicious smear campaign by anti-choicers due to her position as Planned Parenthood founder and the convenient fact that she's long dead and unable to defend herself. Catollico has most likely taken the lies told about her at face value.

They are explored and comprehensively debunked here:
    http://rhrealitycheck.org/article/2015/08/20/false-narratives-margaret-sanger-used-shame-black-women/

In fairness to Catollico, Sanger has been victim of a vicious smear campaign by anti-choicers due to her position as Planned Parenthood founder and the convenient fact that she's long dead and unable to defend herself. Catollico has most likely taken the lies told about her at face value.

Who wrote Woman And The New Race?

Or did she not say..
    "No woman shall have the legal right to bear a child, and no man shall have the right to become a father, without a permit." Meaning the state would control who had kids.

or.. Give dysgenic groups in our population their choice of segregation or sterilization.

You really don't have to dig far to find the work she actually wrote.

Lets face it her views on race would sit very well with other movements of the kind that came early in the last century. If you proposed her eugenic philosophy today you might be imprisoned.

Her motives had nothing to do with liberating women or women’s rights, she was a eugenicist. And her views were shared with others who wanted to purify society.

We don't know what her opinion would be today. But we do know what she did and we have her works that speak for themselves.

In Sangers world human rights don't really exist. She would have a world where birth is controlled by the state, where the sick are kill, she sat on the Euthanasia board in America. Once you start chipping away at human rights where does it end?

I don't need to invent lies about her. All I need to do is quote her.

Who wrote Woman And The New Race?

Or did she not say..
    "No woman shall have the legal right to bear a child, and no man shall have the right to become a father, without a permit." Meaning the state would control who had kids.

or.. Give dysgenic groups in our population their choice of segregation or sterilization.

You really don't have to dig far to find the work she actually wrote.

Lets face it her views on race would sit very well with other movements of the kind that came early in the last century. If you proposed her eugenic philosophy today you might be imprisoned.

Her motives had nothing to do with liberating women or women’s rights, she was a eugenicist. And her views were shared with others who wanted to purify society.

We don't know what her opinion would be today. But we do know what she did and we have her works that speak for themselves.

In Sangers world human rights don't really exist. She would have a world where birth is controlled by the state, where the sick are kill, she sat on the Euthanasia board in America. Once you start chipping away at human rights where does it end?

I don't need to invent lies about her. All I need to do is quote her.

Sorry, what part of that is relevant to anything Overheal has said?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭robdonn

Hey Nick,

The section that you are quoting is not actually one of the principles as laid out by the Declaration. We've discussed this before (either in this thread or the Abortion thread in the Atheist/Agnostic forum) but I will try to summarise the discussion.

The line you quoted is part of the preamble of the Declaration, and is seen as an indication as to how the drafters intended it's interpretation but is not actually legally binding by any members that the Declaration applies to. It's sort of the 'default' position, but can be defined individually by each state.

robdonn wrote: »
    Hey Nick,

The section that you are quoting is not actually one of the principles as laid out by the Declaration. We've discussed this before (either in this thread or the Abortion thread in the Atheist/Agnostic forum) but I will try to summarise the discussion.

The line you quoted is part of the preamble of the Declaration, and is seen as an indication as to how the drafters intended it's interpretation but is not actually legally binding by any members that the Declaration applies to. It's sort of the 'default' position, but can be defined individually by each state.

Good, so we are within our legal right and international law to defend the unborn in our constitition .

Good, so we are within our legal right and international law to defend the unborn in our constitition .
    Insofar as that goes, sure. There a lot of ways that I could, legally, be a complete jerk, too. There are even perfectly legal routes that I can take another persons life.
    Abortion is a choice.

Nowhere in this thread have I discussed jobs, and in one unrelated instance have I discussed education. Try again.

Either way, how do education and jobs change the fact that our planet can't support the human population doubling in less than a century to a level that is 20x the levels seen before industrialization and 7x the population as when we developed the nuclear weapon? If you want to support 16 billion people I encourage you to have some plan for how that will look and what impact that has on our pale blue dot. You can assume all the education you want, we can be the smartest most employed civilization in the universe but in 85 years by doubling your population how do you legitimately think that will work well? We can't even educate employ and feed everyone we have now..

http://www.livescience.com/16493-people-planet-earth-support.html

• Advertisement

No, 'cull' describes your approach much better than 'eugenics'.

'Eugenics' is an attempt, by selective breeding, to improve the genetic stock.

By advocating abortion as a means of population control, you were moving into the territory of culling rather than eugenics.

Btw 'researching the definition' does not mean googling a definition and then reading the first few lines of the definition from an online dictionary, but still not understanding the full meaning of a term. ;)

Culling does not necessarily mean weeding out the inferior stock. It can also refer to killing a number of species simply to reduce the numbers, as with the badger culls that are carried out in the UK. Of course, even in a supposedly indiscriminate process, it is the weaker animals that usually end up getting killed.

So it is with abortion. Although supposedly applied indiscriminately, it is the children with 'undesirable' (in the eyes of the one who makes the choice) traits that still end up getting killed. So, for example, an unborn child is more likely to be aborted if it is female, and much more likely to be aborted if it has a condition such as Down Syndrome.

Another aspect of a cull is that the culled animals may, but not always, be utilised for profit or scientific research. In abortion terms this would involve aborted foetuses being used in laboratories, or even sold as a commercial product.

No, I think the word 'cull' very accurately describes the barbaric concept of using abortion as a tool of human population control.

Then clearly you spectacularly failed at doing what I kindly suggested you do in the first place: research what culling is.

Culling has nothing to do with what happens during a pregnancy ex post facto. Culling, in agriculture, would for example be separating this group of black horses from this group of brown horses so they do not breed mixed-gene offspring.

Perhaps its a little closer to what you're trying to tar my viewpoint is when you're talking about fruit: the process whereby desirable/marketable fruit is harvested and fruit with defects/blemishes that otherwise will not get sold (and just rot) are discarded or composted.

However, I won't equivocate a fetus with a piece of fruit. Culling when discussing animals and in this case fetus', it would be closer to contraception, not abortion. Either way, the term means 2 essentially different things depending on their actual context, so trying to inject the term into this debate seems completely obsolete. To wit, Stargate Atlantis used the villains called The Wraith, who fed on 'the lifeforce' of humans. When they raided human worlds, it was called a 'culling', (not a harvest), similar to badger culling you mentioned, thus we have 3 different core definitions to what a culling is. What's the point of bringing such an obfuscating term into this discussion :rolleyes: No point at all, other than to try and score points by trying to label my viewpoint something nasty that can be dismissed out of hand. Not doing a good job of that I must say.

Of course, but omitting any rights for the unborn in our constitution is within our legal right and international law as well.

Of course, but omitting any rights for the unborn in our constitution is within our legal right and international law as well.

And open the door to abortion. So no thank you.

It's ok, we won't make you have one.

You don't get to say "no thank you" to the rights of another person.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭La Fenetre

You don't get to say "no thank you" to the rights of another person.

And that applies to the child as well as their mother.

And that applies to the child as well as their mother.

Except for the fact that there is no child involved in an abortion, unless the child IS the mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Except for the fact that there is no child involved in an abortion, unless the child IS the mother.
    Well... Irish jurisprudence does refer to the 'unborn child', both in the High Court and the Supreme Court, so there is really.

Absolam wrote: »
    Well... Irish jurisprudence does refer to the 'unborn child', both in the High Court and the Supreme Court, so there is really.

But is that not like referring to dough as the 'unbaked bread'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

But is that not like referring to dough as the 'unbaked bread'?
    It could be I suppose... you'd have to ask the various Justices if they'd agree with you though? Maybe dough that's been proven rather than just basic dough would be closer. Though both are probably a bit of a stretch as analogies go... isn't a bun more usual than bread in that regard? All in all probably just proving the limits of relying on analogies perhaps.

Advertisement