Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sanctity of Life (Abortion Megathread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Absolam wrote: »
    You'll be happy for the pro-life brigade/posse/gang (whichever shows up first) to refer to you as the pro-death camp, or the anti-life lobby?
    The deliberate use of provocative terms to describe the opposite side of a discussion adds nothing more than snarkiness... it certainly does not lend any credibility to your position, quite the opposite.

Well if supporting women when it comes to giving them autonomy over their own bodies, giving them choice.......heck the anti choice brigade can call me what they like, it does not upset me or bother me in any way.

How this is an issue now considering that's how I have been referring to them since I joined the thread......well there is a mystery worthy of a bible story!!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭La Fenetre

frag420 wrote: »
    I think it's great that she was afforded that choice. Same way as if she had opted for an abortion.....
    Well if supporting women when it comes to giving them autonomy over their own bodies, giving them choice.......

Just as long as they don't have the body of a female child . . . . then they can be terminated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Well if supporting women when it comes to giving them autonomy over their own bodies, giving them choice.......heck the anti choice brigade can call me what they like, it does not upset me or bother me in any way.
    How this is an issue now considering that's how I have been referring to them since I joined the thread......well there is a mystery worthy of a bible story!!
    I'm not sure why you think dreaming up pejorative terms for people in some way is supporting women when it comes to giving them autonomy over their own bodies, giving them choice, but you obviously think you've thought it through....

• Moderators Posts: 51,779 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

La Fenetre wrote: »
    Just as long as they don't have the body of a female child . . . . then they can be terminated.

:confused::confused:

If you can read this, you're too close!

Eh?? What?

• Advertisement

I think it's great that she was afforded that choice. Same way as if she had opted for an abortion.....
    Delirium wrote: »
    :confused::confused:

Are female children not aborted ? Do they have no rights ?

I'm not sure why you think dreaming up pejorative terms for people in some way is supporting women when it comes to giving them autonomy over their own bodies, giving them choice, but you obviously think you've thought it through....

Dreaming? No idea what you are on about?
    Are they anti choice? YES
    Is there more than one? YES

I think my description is appropriate!

where did frag suggest that females should be aborted?:confused:

Not as much as the woman who is carrying the fetus regardless of if the fetus is male or female!!

where did frag suggest that females should be aborted?:confused:

Are female children not aborted ?

• Advertisement

Are female children not aborted ?
    Foetuses that are female or male can be aborted. What's your point?

Foetuses that are female or male can be aborted. What's your point?

So only adult females have the right to bodily integrity, but female children that are aborted shouldn't have ?

So only adult females have the right to bodily integrity, but female children that are aborted shouldn't have ?

Who are you addressing the question to? I'm not aware of anyone on this thread suggesting that only a female foetus should be allowed to be aborted. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Dreaming? No idea what you are on about?
    Are they anti choice? YES
    Is there more than one? YES
    I think my description is appropriate!
    Just as pro-death and anti-life are equally appropriate descriptions for your own position. So how does your name-calling support women when it comes to giving them autonomy over their own bodies and giving them choice?

Just as pro-death and anti-life are equally appropriate descriptions for your own position. So how does your name-calling support women when it comes to giving them autonomy over their own bodies and giving them choice?

Is this really what needs to be debated here, names??

They can call me whatever they like, I stand by my position. Same as I've done since day one. Now can we move in as this faux offence that you are taking all of a sudden its boring me now.....

Who are you addressing the question to? I'm not aware of anyone on this thread suggesting that only a female foetus should be allowed to be aborted. :confused:

You are the one who expressed confusion with the idea that not aborting female children is also part of respecting women's rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

You are the one who expressed confusion with the idea that not aborting female children is also part of respecting women's rights.

One more time, all together now:

"A FETUS IS NOT A CHILD."

Kev W wrote: »
    One more time, all together now:

"A FETUS IS NOT A CHILD."

It is an unborn child, a human life. Though a common tactic of human killing throughout history is to attempt to justify it, by ignoring and de humanising the lives of the victims. The medieval and barbaric practice of aborting children in the womb is no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

It is an unborn child, a human life. Though a common tactic of human killing throughout history is to attempt to justify it, by ignoring and de humanising the lives of the victims. The medieval and barbaric practice of aborting children in the womb is no different.

A potential life. Having an abortion is not the same as going up to someone in the street and shooting them however much you try and blur the two.

eviltwin wrote: »
    A potential life. Having an abortion is not the same as going up to someone in the street and shooting them however much you try and blur the two.

A human life is a human life, no matter how and when you choose to kill it.

• Advertisement

A human life is a human life, no matter how and when you choose to kill it.

In your opinion. The law does not agree. Most logical people, even those who are anti abortion, would not share that view.

Since nobody is suggesting only aborting female foetuses, I'm not sure how allowing for abortion is disrepecting women's rights.

In your opinion. The law does not agree.

Abortion is illegal in many circumstances, in many jurisdictions, so what law are you talking about ?
    And since when does something become moral, because there isn't a law preventing it ?
    Most logical people, even those who are anti abortion, would not share that view.

They don't ? Logically, do you speak for them all ?
    Logically, according to biology, when does a human life begin exactly ?

Since nobody is suggesting only aborting female foetuses, I'm not sure how allowing for abortion is disrepecting women's rights.

I was responding to the false claim that abortion respects all women's rights.

So if you abort a female (or a male), how are you respecting women's rights ?

Abortion is illegal in many circumstances, in many jurisdictions, so what law are you talking about ?
    And since when does something become moral, because there isn't a law preventing it ?

They don't ? Logically, do you speak for them all ?
    Logically, according to biology, when does a human life begin exactly ?

Abortion is not classed as murder. Abortion doesn't come with the same restrictions that a murder conviction does. A woman won't be jailed for having an abortion, it won't prevent her having certain jobs, people generally won't distance themselves from a woman whose had an abortion as they might if she's killed someone, murders generally don't get support or sympathy and don't have people calling for murder to be legalized.....so no, that are not the same other than in your own judgemental head but somehow I doubt even you would treat the two the same in a real life situation

I was responding to the false claim that abortion respects all women's rights.

So if you abort a female (or a male), how are you respecting women's rights ?

You are allowing a woman to decide if she will have an abortion or not.

You are allowing a woman to decide if she will have an abortion or not.

There are two lives involved not one.

There are two lives involved not one.

From what point, fertilization, implantation, forming of the brain?

From what point, fertilization, implantation, forming of the brain?

The point human life begins. Why should human life not be respected from then on ?

• Advertisement

The point human life begins. Why should human life not be respected from then on ?

and is that fertiization/implantation/other?

Advertisement