Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunphy's Shop and the Cycle path.

Options
  • 15-07-2015 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/liveline/

If you click on the cycle path option, you'll hear of the possible closure of Dunphy's Shop on the Cork Rd, due to the new cycle paths and a 1km one way system outside their shop. This will reduce the parking available to 3 spaces.

EDIT: There is no sign of a one way system outside Dunphy's shop , this must be somewhere else, but its not on the map, seems like part of Bunker's hill might be one way.

Interesting, the lady says her business is down 20% as a result of the Quay.

There's a public meeting on the 21st of July.

Very interesting insight into what say the business effected by the Green route were given.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I know Dunphys is a great shop and all but the amount of times i have nearly been hit with a car outside that shop is countless at this stage as people don't look where there going at all when there pulling in.

I think a proper foot path is needed there as you cant walk on that side of the road with out having to go in and out and around cars.

Its also not a carpark at all there just some cement on the ground where people will park anywhere i am all for setting it up like Centra at manor with pull in spaces for people to go in and out.

Also her business is prob down to the fact there is a newer shop with a way better dali right access the road from her and Subway is also there so sandwich sales and the likes will be down. But Dunphys do make one of the best 99s around.

I am one for the proper set up of parking on that side of the St but not sure about the one way as i think the roads are able to handle 2 ways no problem what so ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

True, I hate when cars are parked on the footpath.

It seems the road outside will just be a cycle tract only. It will have a kerb for 1km from the bus stop out to the Tramore round about. That's as much as I can work out, can't find any info online about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

A smile helps with custom as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Is this the shop beside Morris oil yard (?) and opposite the Dept of Social/Family Affairs/etc

Yes, the one with bucket and spades out side the shop. There's also a chipper beside it.

Full details of the extensive road works can be seen here:

http://www.waterfordcouncil.ie/en/media/RESIDENT/Planning/Publications/Waterford%20City%20Centre%20Urban%20Renewal%20-%20Drawings.pdf

http://irishcycle.com/2015/07/13/cycle-lanes-and-cycle-paths-to-form-part-of-more-people-centric-waterford-city-centre/

I cant see the picture for outside dunphys, but this is one for Manor street, so if the segrated cycle lane continues, there is no car access to the shop at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/radio1/liveline/

If you click on the cycle path option, you'll hear of the possible closure of Dunphy's Shop on the Cork Rd, due to the new cycle paths and a 1km one way system outside their shop. This will reduce the parking available to 3 spaces.

Interesting, the lady says her business is down 20% as a result of the Quay.

There's a public meeting on the 21st of July.

Very interesting insight into what say the business effected by the Green route were given.

I haven't listened to the moanline piece but the urban renewal plans on the WCC website show a different picture altogether (see attached snip) with plenty of parking spaces and two way traffic on the Cork Road?

[IMG][/img]2q9fo8y.jpg

Dunphy's is the bottom middle with the green. there's no parking at all.

EDIT, yes I see the 3 pink parking spaces up a bit from Dunphys.

k2fn1i.jpg

The junction at the manor looks like it will be off my route through town too.

I think you're mistaken ....

Yes, you are absolutely right, my mistake. There are three car spaces allowed, the same as across the road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

tonc76 wrote: »

To be fair it does look a lot better there now with proper car parking spaces for people to pull in and out of just like in manor I really don't see what her problem is as I think her business will go up with proper parking that's easy to get in and out off !!!.

The new bus stop looks good in front of Wit as well buses now can properly go into a stop and not be stopping in the middle of the road and haveing cars overtake it the amount of times I have seen people go nuts at the bus there is countless as well.

The one around railway square is also a very good idea as from living there for 3 out of my 4 years in Waterford the amount of times I have seen cars there skipping the corner and driving in the middle of the road at night and during the day

To be far must of this looks really well and will make the city a lot nicer and safer in parts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

tonc76 wrote: »

CD48Wjj.jpg

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Yes, you are absolutely right, my mistake. There are three car spaces allowed, the same as across the road.

The three spaces will allow for more than three cars to be parked though. The "keep clear" areas will be provided in order to maintain access to the rear of the buildings and each will be 3-4m wide. The pink parking zones between the accesses will be 16-18m in length so enough to accommodate three cars each with the southern most one catering for one to two cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=9%3A20813651%3A53%3A15%2D07%2D2015%3A

"We've sold everything from that forecourt, fuel in the wintertime, shovels (...)" (7:40)

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

There's usually more than 3 cars in dunphys though. Passed the other night and there was at least 10 cars and parking all over the shop

Looking at that map shot, no Tramore road turn if this happens? Clearly they haven't thought this through unless they close an entrance for Woodies/Lidl, and then piss even more people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

It's all the one people will park where they want, still aholes parking where they want on the quays

That is an issue alright, it seems the idea is that there is nowhere to park like an ass, either park in the right place or your ass is on the main rd.

Though yeah, going by the 'bus lane' out side Centra, it makes no difference.

Looks like the road to Tramore stays, you just cant turn right at Dunphy's from the cork rd?

Its not one way anyway, only the roads in red will be one way, though there will be a fair few of them. Though for safety it for the best in these residential areas.

25aqjki.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭crazyman

Personally I like the plans. Anything that makes the city more pedestrian friendly and better looking should be welcomed. Similarly I think a lot of the one way traffic systems could also work as a lot of the proposed streets are narrow streets where you often have to wait for oncoming traffic to pass before proceeding yourself.

The only concern would be the length of time they may take to complete, ahem the quays.

Does anyone know if there is a start date for these works?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Have to say, by and large, it looks great,I think the one way thing at manor street and cinema area looks very good, most of it is just tinkering, putting in some cycle lanes here and there, better crossing points,, better cycling facilities, but roads will remain same to much degree.but when you put it all together, it could be significant in making the city a lot nicer.as for works in Apple market and lady lane, sooner they start the better,I have said it before,I was very scepticalthe council's plans and works in the past but they have delivered some very good public improvements last few years....we won't mention length of to works on quay

• Advertisement

crazyman wrote: »
    Personally I like the plans. Anything that makes the city more pedestrian friendly and better looking should be welcomed. Similarly I think a lot of the one way traffic systems could also work as a lot of the proposed streets are narrow streets where you often have to wait for oncoming traffic to pass before proceeding yourself.

The only concern would be the length of time they may take to complete, ahem the quays.

Does anyone know if there is a start date for these works?

From the Part 8 Planning Report

7.0 CONSTRUCTION TIMELINE
    7.1 Introduction
    7.1.1 The scale and complexity of the subject Waterford City Urban Renewal Scheme will necessitate that the proposed works are undertaken over a period of time to ensure that the disruption generated by construction activity is minimised and that the city centre continues to function with the appropriate levels of accessibility retained throughout the duration of construction activities. Furthermore funding streams may also influence the project timeline whilst specific sections of the local road network may have to be prioritised to enable construction to commence on other sections / areas of the proposals.

7.1.2 At this preliminary stage it is envisioned that the works may take up to three years to design, tender and construct, particularly as it will be necessary to safeguard specific times of the year when construction activity will not be permitted on certain streets e.g. peak commercial periods and during annual festivals / events within the city centre.

FIGURE 7.1: Preliminary Construction Phases

7.1.3 In reference to FIGURE 7.1 the subject works are to be coordinated through the following 5 stage preliminary construction programmed.
    􀁸 Phase 1: 2015 – Henrietta St, Peter St (East) and High St (East) in addition to the pedestrianisation of Baily’s New St.
    􀁸 Phase 2a: 2016 – Brown’s Lane, Hennessey’s Rd (East), Castle St, John St
    (South), Millers Marsh Car Park and Blake’s Lane.
    􀁸 Phase 2b: 2016 – John St (North), Michael St, Lady’s Lane, Olaf St & Colbeck St.
    􀁸 Phase 3: 2017 – Arundel Square, High St (West), Peter St (West), Patrick St, Mayors Walk, Batchelor’s Walk, Stephen’s St and Waterside Car Park.
    􀁸 Phase 4: 2018 – Parnell St, Manor St, Railway Square, Bath St, Cork Rd, College St, and Manor (Bunkers) Hill.

7.2 Construction Mitigation Measures
    7.2.1 Whilst some temporary disruption will be necessary to accommodate the proposed works the objective will be to minimise the scale, severity and duration of the impacts generated. Each of the above five construction stages will be subject to an individual area / works specific Construction Management Plan as compiled by the appointed contractor and reviewed / agreed by the local planning authority. Specific items addressed by the
    final adopted Construction Management Plan will include;

􀁸 Period of the works and construction activity time restrictions.
    􀁸 Temporary traffic management plan, vehicle diversion arrangements and
    associated lane, road and junction closures to be implemented during (part of all) the course of the subject construction stage works.
    􀁸 Dissemination arrangements including specific measures for local residents and businesses to inform all stakeholders and the general public works of the above temporary arrangements.
    􀁸 Specific arrangements for the management of construction traffic.

I though the pedestrianisation of Colbeck st was immanent, says there its 2016.

I think that will be good for the area, but I think the bus will still run through there as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Nypd wrote: »
    It's all the one people will park where they want, still aholes parking where they want on the quays

The problem is enforcement. The council should hire an extra traffic warden or two to patrol the quay all day. Once people start getting hit with parking tickets, they'll soon get the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Looks to me like yet another hair-brained scheme designed to pander to a utopian vision of a city with no cars and lots of people on bicycles and walking.

No thought that the city isn't bicycle-friendly anyway, too hilly. And pedestrians need some way of actually getting to and from the city centre, and a method of transporting their shopping home. Like cars, for example.

If the brain boxes behind this codswallop were worth anything they'd be thinking up ways of integrating cars with the city centre more, not trying to exclude them.

This nonsense will destroy the city even more.

article-2200280-0090C4D51000044C-746_468x286.jpg

angry+cat+driver.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Looks to me like yet another hair-brained scheme designed to pander to a utopian vision of a city with no cars and lots of people on bicycles and walking.

No thought that the city isn't bicycle-friendly anyway, too hilly. And pedestrians need some way of actually getting to and from the city centre, and a method of transporting their shopping home. Like cars, for example.

If the brain boxes behind this codswallop were worth anything they'd be thinking up ways of integrating cars with the city centre more, not trying to exclude them.

This nonsense will destroy the city even more.

hahaha excellent, always love that one, too hilly. hahaha excellent. whatever yea do, dont ever take up mountain biking. ah if we had a far superior public transport service this might all work good, but since austerity and all that jazz... blah blah blah. done a school run a while ago though, jasus what a nightmare. we re really failing in ways with this transport stuff though. i do hear yea with things like shopping and that though. its impossible to walk or cycle with it and next to impossible to do it on the bus even though people do it

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

she,s some woman to waffle on, i wonder is she related to joan burton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

I dont see how this will have a negative effect on the shop. The shop across the road and Subway are doing just fine and they have spaces outside for just 3 vehicles is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

obezyana wrote: »
    I dont see how this will have a negative effect on the shop. The shop across the road and Subway are doing just fine and they have spaces outside for just 3 vehicles is it?

as other have said, id say its killing their business but they havent moved with the times either. shop looks fairly run down. i assume the council would have paid for building of the parking outside subway etc? only fair they do the same on the other side. unsure of number of parking places but its around 3/4. be a shame to see dunphys go. fond memories. subway have parking behind though as well. very few probably use it though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    as other have said, id say its killing their business but they havent moved with the times either. shop looks fairly run down. i assume the council would have paid for building of the parking outside subway etc? only fair they do the same on the other side. unsure of number of parking places but its around 3/4. be a shame to see dunphys go. fond memories. subway have parking behind though as well. very few probably use it though.

Pardon my ignorance but whats killing its business? If your referring to the shops across the road then yes i agree they must be affecting Dunphys. It would be shame to see it close but personally i dont think a cycle lane will close it, its competition will.

Advertisement