Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunphy's Shop and the Cycle path.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,345 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

its sad to say these local shops like Dunphys are dying a death. People would rather buy there sweets and all that in supermarkets. Tesco is open til late. Lidl/Aldi are cheap so are iceland, Mr Price, Dealz etc

Still wont beat the 99s in Dunphys though lol

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

PTH2009 wrote: »
    its sad to say these local shops like Dunphys are dying a death. People would rather buy there sweets and all that in supermarkets. Tesco is open til late. Lidl/Aldi are cheap so are iceland, Mr Price, Dealz etc

true which is a serious worry. they are an extremely important part of our local economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

PTH2009 wrote: »

here,s a secret for ya, there is only two main brands of cream for ice cream machines and they are dairyglen and angelito kerrymaid. they more than likely use angelito kerrymaid as its more popular, you can get the same ice cream in 90% of the shops that have ice cream machines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

here,s a secret for ya, there is only two main brands of cream for ice cream machines and they are dairyglen and angelito kerrymaid. they more than likely use angelito kerrymaid as its more popular, you can get the same ice cream in 90% of the shops that have ice cream machines

Ah its all about the effort in the hand movement when having your icecream pulled for ya.....maybe thats what Dunphys are good at :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Some people here are making assumptions about the woman's business, from what i can see it is one of the most popular corner shops in the city and normally there are between 7 and 10 cars parked outside it. If you allow that a further 3-4 cars park outside the chipper and that you also have a barbers there, how will three car spaces that might accommodate 5 cars if people park correctly not affect these three businesses?
    Secondly the parking outside Spar does not work that well, plus it is a different type of shop to Dunphy's. (They are known for their sweets as well as their Ice creams) You can also park around the back of Spar and outside the tax office land registry in the evening. (Even the Garda do this) At a guess I would imagine that Dunphy's has as good a footfall as Spar if not better.

Main question is, why can't they just use the new path along the riverwalk as the cycle lane out of the city?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Has anyone got a video of themselves cycling through the city?

I drove through it today and there is no way I'd cycle in the designated cycle tracks. It just looks so dangerous.

The only experience I have of cycling trough a city is in Holland, I could never imagine cycling down the quay and out the mall in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

wmpdd3 wrote: »

I drove through it today and there is no way I'd cycle in the designated cycle tracks. It just looks so dangerous.

The only experience I have of cycling trough a city is in Holland, I could never imagine cycling down the quay and out the mall in Waterford.

should see dublin

It's bad enough walking in Dublin!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

wmpdd3 wrote: »

Bout 2 years ago I used to live down your way and used to do alot of cycling, never had a problem.

Urban Renewal Public Meetings are scheduled for Tuesday 21st July from 5-7pm in the Edmund Rice Centre, Barrack St and Thursday 23rd July from 5-7 in City Hall, The Mall.
    This is an opportunity to meet the staff and designteam in order to discuss the Urban Renewal plans.
    http://www.waterfordcouncil.ie/…/Fo…/Urban,Design,Framework/

Well its going to consultation tomorrow and Thursday. As is often said here, this is the time to air your views not in 2018 when hopefully the town is busier and they are narrowing the streets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    as other have said, id say its killing their business but they havent moved with the times either. shop looks fairly run down. i assume the council would have paid for building of the parking outside subway etc? only fair they do the same on the other side. unsure of number of parking places but its around 3/4. be a shame to see dunphys go. fond memories. subway have parking behind though as well. very few probably use it though.

There's more spaces than that. There's 4 areas, but it looks like you could fit maybe 3, but at least 2, cars in 3 of them and 2 in the last.

Advertisement