Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aquarium repair needed - ASAP

Options
  • 15-07-2015 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'll get straight to it, I was cleaning out my terrapins aquarium today and one of the side panes has completely smashed, the tank can no longer hold water and I need the glass replaced. I can't seem to find any links online to an aquarium repairman.

Would anyone have any details of a repairman who would be able to do same day calls, IN DUBLIN. I'm not expecting a call tonight but I don't want to leave my terrapins much longer out of their habitat.

Thankfully this happened in summer so my terrapins of 11 years will be able to survive the transition time.

Thank you for all your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Get some aquarium safe silicone and go to you local glazier and ask them to cut you a piece of glass to fit the end of the tank.

The Glazier might even do it for you if you ask nicely.

As it's for terrapins I'm guessing that tank isn't ever completely full to the top so it won't have as much pressure on the sides.

Simple job, I've done it a few times in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Same day repair with silicone? I think it takes at least a day to cure and you really don't want any water putting pressure on that joint in that time.
    OP, I'd go down and buy a plastic bin roughly the same capacity as the tank to house them while you get a new tank or the one you have repaired.
    Polyurethane sealants like TEC7 still need time to cure and often they can offgas the curing agent which isn't great for animals or fish exposed to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Same day repair with silicone? I think it takes at least a day to cure and you really don't want any water putting pressure on that joint in that time.
    OP, I'd go down and buy a plastic bin roughly the same capacity as the tank to house them while you get a new tank or the one you have repaired.
    Polyurethane sealants like TEC7 still need time to cure and often they can offgas the curing agent which isn't great for animals or fish exposed to them.

I never mentioned anything about same day repair!

But yeah, you're best to let it cure for at least 24 hours.

Advertisement