Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haswell build getting hot

Options
  • 15-07-2015 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭

So I've moved to a 4790K after the ASUS Z77 sabertooth quit on me. I'd done another Haswell build for a mate and I'm getting the same problem - 90C + on prime95.

Now his was a stock heat sink that I probably cocked up the thermal pad on - keep meaning to replace it but he's got trouble free operation in games etc and isn't a K-Part.

What is going on with me though?! I've a full custom watercooling loop that was working fine on the 3570K I had before. Any ideas? Antec Formula 6 paste used although it's probably a little old.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

How are you applying the paste? In general less is more as you're only really filling in the gaps in the interface. Thermal paste has a not insignificant thermal resistance. Applying too much can actually hinder heat transfer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

5uspect wrote: »
    How are you applying the paste? In general less is more as you're only really filling in the gaps in the interface. Thermal paste has a not insignificant thermal resistance. Applying too much can actually hinder heat transfer.

Little line about 25% the length of the CPU, very little paste being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Do not use prime 95 to test Haswell as it uses AVX instructions.Basically it will bring any Haswell to its knees temps wise.

Test with games/video encoding or something like Aida 64.
    Intel burn test is good too.

After tying different tests if temps are still that high re-seat and reapply the paste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Trying with the XTU - seems alot happier! Prime95 was what I was using for my mates build as well so a bit happier there now too! Phew!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

• Advertisement
Advertisement