Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need help with newly seeded lawn

Options
  • 15-07-2015 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

Hi all.
    Levelled raked and seeded our new lawn over three weeks ago now. Top soil looked good. Got most recommended grass seed and fertilizer. But have now been left with this in the pictures.
    Now I know there will be weeds etc. But this is more of an infestation. They are everywhere on an quarter acre site lawn. Really looks bad. But is it normal. Or what can I do. Any any any help would be appreciated. Weather wasn't bad since sowing. A few really warm days but rain on and of since. Anyone any suggestions.
    Thanks
    Jb

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

More pictures

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭TTTT

It's Red Shank. Mowing will kill it as it's an annual.

Hi TTTT

Thanks for that. At least I know what it is now.
    How would i know when to cut. THere are still a lot of patches with no grass. Will these still come if i cut. I dont want the weeds to get overgrown either.
    I was actually thinking of cutting, and then throwing out some more seeds to the bare patches and maybe rolling it. Would this be an option.
    I dont want to spray ( even though I have been told there is a spray to kill the weed and not the grass ).
    Any help in order to progress the lawn would be great,

Thanks
    JB

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

Had the same prob. I was told that I sowed the wrong time of year that's why the weeds! Pisser too! Sprayed and cut itasf week much better but need to seed again as over sprayed in some spots!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Damn! I can't see any grass in the pics, so I'd spray it and reseed.
    I've heard from a few farmers that this isn't a great year for newly-sown fields but your lawn seems to have no grass at all!

• Advertisement

No there is grass all right, and in some places very good growth. It is just not seen with the amount on weeds.
    Anyway I think i have come to a conclusion. Gonna cut it next weekend. not very low. Supposedly this will get rid of the weed eventually. Gonna throw out some seed on the bare patches, and some fertiliser/lime and then lightly roll it. and then cut it regularly and see what happens between now and winter

Advertisement