Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Series - What a shambles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

rooneyjm wrote: »
    Not a penny directly (I hope). For example, Zone3 are now in partnership with TI. Would that sponsorship be possible without thousands of wetsuits being sold to 30 somethings. Where is the sponsorship money going? Well it looks like its going into development of young talent with the intention of getting one of them to the big time. Thats great it makes sense but what if all those age groupers got pee'ed of with TI and membership dropped. People moved to something else and the sales dry up. Then Zone3 pull out and TI loose sponsorship, not to mention membership. Then TI cant support the young talent and they go to another sport.

Keep the membership growing = more sponsorship = more money to develop talent. And that starts with putting up a few results now and again to the plebs happy.

Very good point. Once thing that really annoyed me recently on the Triathlon website was the write up they had of the Midterns winning the non ti event the lee swim. Yet there own triathlon events that happened that week have gone without a write up ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Very good point. Once thing that really annoyed me recently on the Triathlon website was the write up they had of the Midterns winning the non ti event the lee swim. Yet there own triathlon events that happened that week have gone without a write up ...

This is going completely off topic but TI do not do write ups. I think (hope) that they have better things to be doing. It is up to the event organiser to get someone to write up a race report and send it in to TI (who in my experience are only too happy to publish immediately). When you refer to the TI events that went without a write up - who exactly do you think should be responsible for this? Ask the race organiser what happened to the report. Unfortunately, triathlon is not like other mainstream sports where people are paid to do write ups! I'm not sure why but this sort of nonsense bugs me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

rooneyjm wrote: »
    Not a penny directly (I hope). For example, Zone3 are now in partnership with TI. Would that sponsorship be possible without thousands of wetsuits being sold to 30 somethings. Where is the sponsorship money going? Well it looks like its going into development of young talent with the intention of getting one of them to the big time. Thats great it makes sense but what if all those age groupers got pee'ed of with TI and membership dropped. People moved to something else and the sales dry up. Then Zone3 pull out and TI loose sponsorship, not to mention membership. Then TI cant support the young talent and they go to another sport.

Keep the membership growing = more sponsorship = more money to develop talent. And that starts with putting up a few results now and again to the plebs happy.

I think you are overestimating the income from sponsorship and the potential return to the sponsors.

Any development money is primarily coming from sports council grants.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

Junior and senior guys on the TI squads pay for their own race entry,travel,coaching etc with guidance from TI in some areas so the money is certainly not been spent on development apart from a few token coaching days , also if you look at their accounts from last year sponsorship accounts for very little revenue , race entry (ODL) and fees/membership is the main revenue hence in my opinion the push for larger races wiht more ODL revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

AKW wrote: »
    I think you are overestimating the income from sponsorship and the potential return to the sponsors.

http://www.triathlonireland.com/assets/files/Signed%20Statutory%20Accounts%202013.pdf

8% of income from Sponsorship. Minor in the scheme of things.

Half the money coming from Grants, its easy to see why the priority lies there.

Spot the accountant

• Advertisement

BTH wrote: »
    http://www.triathlonireland.com/assets/files/Signed%20Statutory%20Accounts%202013.pdf

8% of income from Sponsorship. Minor in the scheme of things.

Half the money coming from Grants, its easy to see why the priority lies there.

Spot the accountant

Amazing how gut instinct can be backed up by an accountant ;)

Actually, thinking about this the money is the way to effect change.

Obviously going to the AGM and voicing your opinion can do so much but imagine the power of a lobby group or online petition to the Minister responsible for the allocation of sports council grants (is there a minister in charge?) saying that members interests are not being properly represented or respected by their governing body.

Do you reckon that would get the attention and light a fire under the organisation to get their finger out and get results up?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭hamstervision

TI just posted a dump of results with an apology + explanation. They say only Derry is missing but I'm certain my total is wrong.

http://www.triathlonireland.com/index.php?id=107&nid=2395

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

They must have heard me.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

TI just posted a dump of results with an apology + explanation. They say only Derry is missing but I'm certain my total is wrong.

Brilliant. Now we all know where we stand. Super service, thanks TI!

Now, Stop Whining and Whinging!!

• Advertisement

Actually, thinking about this the money is the way to effect change...

69fbf7240f42620c870bdc173856ead82781e930db2ac505e941931fc2c24ea1.jpg
    TI just posted a dump of results with an apology + explanation...

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭noc231073

Podge83 wrote: »
    Brilliant. Now we all know where we stand. Super service, thanks TI!

Now, Stop Whining and Whinging!!

I hope your taking the piss .....!!!!
    Because TI are ...

Exactly dumped is the word ..

Where do you start with that mess ...

noc231073 wrote: »
    I hope your taking the piss .....!!!!
    Because TI are ...

Exactly dumped is the word ..

Where do you start with that mess ...

No. They've made an effort (TI) and they're doing their best. Fair play!

No. They've made an effort (TI) and they're doing their best. Fair play!

I don't think you can really call that a fair effort ..
    It looks like someone was given the job on Thursday to get any kind of results out by Friday just to keep em happy ..
    I have complete 4 rounds of the national series but haven't done my Olympic which is will be close to the end of august so I'll have to wait possibly till late September before I get any indication of results ..

If that's not a joke I don't know what to say .. .. FFS...

noc231073 wrote: »
    I don't think you can really call that a fair effort ..
    It looks like someone was given the job on Thursday to get any kind of results out by Friday just to keep em happy ..
    I have complete 4 rounds of the national series but haven't done my Olympic which is will be close to the end of august so I'll have to wait possibly till late September before I get any indication of results ..

If that's not a joke I don't know what to say .. .. FFS...

Sorry noc, I was actually taking the pi55 but couldn't resist a little wind up.

Sorry noc, I was actually taking the pi55 but couldn't resist a little wind up.

Lol....
    Ok got me ...

• Registered Users Posts: 45 sporteamon3

Updated NS Points on TI website but if my points are anything to go by it's prob full of errors and omissions! No sign of the fancy new system being worked on by their web developers! Will it be up and running by season's end?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Updated NS Points on TI website but if my points are anything to go by it's prob full of errors and omissions! No sign of the fancy new system being worked on by their web developers! Will it be up and running by season's end?!

Still only up until July 5th? Looking forward to finally see in myself on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Could this be the all new and amazing results site?....

http://results.triathlonireland.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭hamstervision

viperlogic wrote: »
    Could this be the all new and amazing results site?....

http://results.triathlonireland.com/

Nice one - guessing the design is temporary but the results seem to be there. I only really care about the data at this point.

• Advertisement

Hopefully it won't have a month delay once it's up. Due an update by Friday week going on previous updates

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Still no sign of any of my results on it.

joey100 wrote: »
    Still no sign of any of my results on it.

They want your trophy to be a surprise Joey

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

Still looks to be loads of gaps on these results , alot missing from the results list(including most of our club) and also come totals include 5 race results where only 4 should count and a couple dont include the mandatory 1 sprint and 1 Std minimum requirement. Saying that I understand its a work in progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

I think you have to have at least two disciplines done to get on the score board. I know you did CK but results are probably not out yet for CK.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 shayr

I had a look at the link to the new results site over the past few days..and few things I picked up from looking over them are.

1 - All the first 16 NS races are in there up to the 25th July - King Of The Hill.
    2 - The other completed 7 races of iTri Ennis - Belfast - Tri The Lough - ActiSnack - Predator Loghrea - CK - DCT - not yet on the system.
    3 - A competitor is only listed if they have done at least 1 Sprint and 1 of the 3 Standards - Lough Cutra - HotW - Sligo
    Even if you have 3 sprints and a Middle your not listed.
    So they have a filter applied to show up only those who have 1 Sprint 1 Standard done.

So basically most of the races are in there - but for anyone chasing an age group top 3 they have no visibility on where they stand.
    They need to remove the filters and just show all.

A few more races added now including DCT. Now officially up there and not doing as badly as I expected so happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

What does coming top three in your age category over the year mean? I should get 3rd in mine this year and just wondered what if any races I might qualify for and if I am likely to receive a medal/trophy?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

What does coming top three in your age category over the year mean? I should get 3rd in mine this year and just wondered what if any races I might qualify for and if I am likely to receive a medal/trophy?

Usually there is a cash prize or voucher.
    I think last year it was €250 for 1st in AG, €150 for 2nd and €100 for 3rd

• Advertisement

I may be wrong and you should await others response however.

You should get prize at the awards dinner in November if you attend and perhaps a trophy/medal? I dont know about that one. You may be selected for ETU Europeans and ITU worlds if you apply depending on number of places available and if they are taken up by higher ranked competitors or not.

Depending on your overall finish you may become eligible for Cat1. I believe it is top 20 overall or top 8 in a NS race that will make it mandatory for you to race as a Cat 1 at those events.

EDIT: From the dinner event
    There will also be a dedicated medal collection area at the beginning of the awards between 5.00 - 6.45pm for our age group medallists. Medal winners can receive their award in this area and avail of a photo opportunity.

Advertisement