Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pressurised water pump

Options
  • 15-07-2015 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hello, I'm in the middle of a renovation job at the moment and we're putting in a pressurised water pump in the hot press, my architect has sped'd the pump as "Stuart Turner Monsoon 2 bar twin head shower pump" however the plumber has suggested that this type can be noisy and that I'd be better off spending a few hundred extra for a quieter make. Can anyone advise is this pump a good one to provide pressurised water to the house or should I upgrade to a quieter make and if so any recommendations welcome!

Thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Stuart Turner are one of the best manufacturers in the market and are not cheap now. So how you spend "hundreds more" for a better pump is beyond me? I have exactly the same pump in my hot press. It is already fitted with a rubber base and I placed on some foam insulation on a tiled floor. The noise it makes is more of a buzz. When the door is closed it is just a background buzz hardly noticeable but reassuring that it is working. I would not fix to any timber structure as it will reverberate but in modern flimsy houses it may be difficult to find something solid!
    Let us know what your plumber is suggesting as a silent alternative??

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ryanjcdub

freddyuk wrote: »
    Stuart Turner are one of the best manufacturers in the market and are not cheap now. So how you spend "hundreds more" for a better pump is beyond me? I have exactly the same pump in my hot press. It is already fitted with a rubber base and I placed on some foam insulation on a tiled floor. The noise it makes is more of a buzz. When the door is closed it is just a background buzz hardly noticeable but reassuring that it is working. I would not fix to any timber structure as it will reverberate but in modern flimsy houses it may be difficult to find something solid!
    Let us know what your plumber is suggesting as a silent alternative??

Thank you for the reply, he has suggested a grundfos pump but not sure exactly which one, I think I might just stick to the Stuart turner so - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Ask about the warranty on the Grundfos, which usually is cheaper on a like for like basis than the Stuart Turner.
    Stuart Turner brass pumps now come with 5 years parts and labour warranty, as long as they have been fitted correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

They all recommend placing pump on a concrete block or slab to alleviate the worst of any noise. Still use a layer of foam to isolate and ensure flexi connectors are used and pipework is fully supported. I couldn't find much info on decibels to compare the two.

Advertisement