Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Punctures

• 15-07-2015 11:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭

Got my 3rd puncture in as many years today on the bike on the way home from work. Had a can of tyre goo with me but it only half pumped the tyre up and the air was still escaping so I couldn't ride it any further.
    I use the bike 99% for commuting so reckon I must ride over a lot of debris on the road.
    Are there any puncture resistant tyres out there or does anyone use any of that gunk that you spray into your tyre that repairs any punctures instantly?
    Took me two hours to get home from work today and I'm having serious bother getting the axle off so will have to leave the bike at home for the next few days until I can get the wheel off and and the tyre repaired - would like to ensure it doesn't happen again!
    Had a serious moment on the M1 when I went from feeling like the bike was wobbling slightly until suddenly it felt like the back wheel was falling off - new underpants required!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I had the stuff in car tyres years ago. Took a few km every time to spread evenly around the wheel, felt like driving with a cheap unbalanced tyre. Wouldn't recommend for a bike.

Also with the puncture you got it wouldn't work, if expanding foam can't seal a tyre a bit of stuff in the tyre won't help and could lead to a bigger issue.

How much thread have you on the tyres? Once they start getting near the wear marks all tyres are more prone to puncture. Your commuting might be the issue as when filtering you are running on all the crap brushed from the traffic flow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

If you're REALLY stuck then what I usually do is screw a self taper into the tyre, pump it up and take it straight to the shop to have the tire fixed or replaced.

Its not recommended of course, but if the alternative was to leave the bike sitting up thats what I'd do.

No I've never used anything like that stuff you put in a tire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

A lad in work has this stuff, wouldn't know it was there
    http://bikeworld.ie/2013/08/prevent-a-puncture-new-puncture-free-driving-product/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Cheap ebay plug kit in the pocket all the time......work a treat..used them on bikes and cars without any issue...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Got my 3rd puncture in as many years today on the bike on the way home from work. Had a can of tyre goo with me but it only half pumped the tyre up and the air was still escaping so I couldn't ride it any further.
    I use the bike 99% for commuting so reckon I must ride over a lot of debris on the road.
    Are there any puncture resistant tyres out there or does anyone use any of that gunk that you spray into your tyre that repairs any punctures instantly?
    Took me two hours to get home from work today and I'm having serious bother getting the axle off so will have to leave the bike at home for the next few days until I can get the wheel off and and the tyre repaired - would like to ensure it doesn't happen again!
    Had a serious moment on the M1 when I went from feeling like the bike was wobbling slightly until suddenly it felt like the back wheel was falling off - new underpants required!
    Punctures nearly always come in 3's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Cheap ebay plug kit in the pocket all the time......work a treat..used them on bikes and cars without any issue...

Yep, I carry the sticky strips with me and canisters of compressed air. Only had to plug my front last week after a puncture. Still up no probs but getting new tyres tomorrow anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Worn tyres and wet weather will encourage punctures, the water acts as a lube and the less tread depth is easier to puncture.
    City riding also seems to produce a lot of debris like nails and glass which doesn't help.
    Good quality sealant should help catch small punctures and alert you to them before they become an issue, you do check them before you ride?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    sticky strips

Sticky strips... what are these? (a google was bringing up bike graphics, no good for fixing punctures on the side of a wet and windy motorway methinks :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Jesus sake..:rolleyes:....you know those liquorice strips you buy in the sweet shop....thats them....force them into the hole with a lolly stick or small twig....works every time....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Any motor factors worth a buck will have the "sticky strips" for punctures......

• Advertisement
Advertisement