Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old phone for my son...options on network provider?

Options
  • 16-07-2015 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭

Have an old samsung I want to give to my son, can anyone help with choosing a provider whereby I can get a sim card pay as you go that has indefinite time limit on it?

He wont use a lot of credit so don't want it expiring after 30 days or whenever

Do any providers let me get a sim that allows me buy say 20€ worth of credit and it stays valid until all used up then I can buy another 20€ etc etc ..?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Joe's fanclub

My son is on Three whereby if you top up by €20 a month you get unlimited free data - with no obligation to top up this often though (credit wont expire - he can use take as much time to use it as he wants)

I'm assuming your son is a young man and if so, trust me when I say it's the data they use more than anything, social networking etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 kccfc

48.ie are great, 300 mins unlimited texts,60 landline mins & 1 gb of internet for 10e per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Joe's fanclub

kccfc, are the free texts only when using whats app?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

If you're using a dumbphone (as in, one without internet), the 48 'The Guido' plan might work as internet is not a core factor. Also, presumably, they are under 21. It is €10 per month.

www.moolamonkey.com/48-months/
    http://www.48months.ie/membership-plans (Official)

Or, if they have the internet on the phone, and the handset is relatively new (i.e., the last few years), then Three's '3Pay' is a no-brainer, with free weekend calls, free Three to Three (and former O2) calls, unlimited (3000 SMS), and 15GB of data.

www.moolamonkey.com/three/
    http://www.three.ie/eshop/sim-only-plans/prepay-sim-only/ (Official)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

My son is on Three whereby if you top up by €20 a month you get unlimited free data - with no obligation to top up this often though (credit wont expire - he can use take as much time to use it as he wants)

I'm assuming your son is a young man and if so, trust me when I say it's the data they use more than anything, social networking etc.

He wont even use 20€ per month to be honest, wont be using it for data, just more like calling his friends and for us to contact him when he's at a friends party and the likes.
    kccfc wrote: »
    48.ie are great, 300 mins unlimited texts,60 landline mins & 1 gb of internet for 10e per month.

Do I have to commit to 10€ per month though? I was hoping I can load say 20€ and keep it indefintely until it's nearly gone them top up another 20€ or whatever...
    If you're using a dumbphone (as in, one without internet), the 48 'The Guido' plan might work as internet is not a core factor. Also, presumably, they are under 21. It is €10 per month.

www.moolamonkey.com/48-months/
    http://www.48months.ie/membership-plans (Official)

Or, if they have the internet on the phone, and the handset is relatively new (i.e., the last few years), then Three's '3Pay' is a no-brainer, with free weekend calls, free Three to Three (and former O2) calls, unlimited (3000 SMS), and 15GB of data.

www.moolamonkey.com/three/
    http://www.three.ie/eshop/sim-only-plans/prepay-sim-only/ (Official)

Thanks for all the replies, though it seems like I have to commit X amount per month in order to get any of the plans? As I said I iam really wondering if any provider allows me stick X on to the Sim card then when its nearly used up which could be months, stick another X on to it???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

I'm pretty sure all networks pay as you go plans give you 6 months before credit expires. And even then they let you make calls for 12 months.

Afaik meteor are the only network still doing fiver top ups which may be of interest to you

What network was the phone on before?

jumbone wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure all networks pay as you go plans give you 6 months before credit expires. And even then they let you make calls for 12 months.

Afaik meteor are the only network still doing fiver top ups which may be of interest to you

What network was the phone on before?

Tesco (O2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Just FYI, Three also do €5 top ups, which may suit. Some amount of texts and Internet, and keep your credit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

Just FYI, Three also do €5 top ups, which may suit. Some amount of texts and Internet, and keep your credit.

and i think vodafone do the same

Maybe I'll contact voda etc via boards to ask

• Advertisement
Advertisement