Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childs Passport application - ordering a long form birth cert?

Options
  • 16-07-2015 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

We are applying for our 11 month old son's passport in advance of a holiday later this year. During a recent house move we seem to have misplaced his birth cert.

If we order the long form birth cert that you pay 40 euro for will this be acceptable for his passport application? It says you need the original but surely an official copy is just as acceptable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Eh don't think there are long ones anymore. They are an A4 page. You should be able to order another one easily enough - go into the births, deaths and marriages office.

I got a spare when registering my kids so I have two for each of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

bp wrote: »
    Eh don't think there are long ones anymore. They are an A4 page. You should be able to order another one easily enough - go into the births, deaths and marriages office.

I got a spare when registering my kids so I have two for each of them

Seems to be long form here? This is where I would be ordering from.

https://www.birthsdeathsmarriages.ie/certificates/birth-certificate/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

We got a few copies of our children's birth cert. If you order one from the HSE it is the same as the first one. I just sent one off yesterday to renew my daughter's passport.

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/1/bdm/Certificates/

According to this the price is €20? Beware of scam sites! The one you linked to looks dodgy.

We had long forms as kids but I think they are gone for this generation

bp wrote: »
    We had long forms as kids but I think they are gone for this generation
    I ordered a 'long form' birth cert when we got married, it was the old style one with handwriting from the date of my birth, but resized to print on an A4 size page.

• Advertisement

Yeah we have them but our children won't. If I got one for me it would be long but my children's are the new version

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

As bp said the long form one is now an A4 size. My daughters "original" birth certificate we got when we registered her birth was an A4 one, cost €20. We got her first passport in September and this birth cert was sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

beware of that birthsdeathsandmarriages site - I remember getting stung by them before - you fill in the same form on their site as you would on the HSEsite, but you pay more! Legally they are doing nothing wrong afaik because they do provide a service - there's just no need to pay more for something you can do yourself on the other site!

Digs wrote: »
    As bp said the long form one is now an A4 size. My daughters "original" birth certificate we got when we registered her birth was an A4 one, cost €20. We got her first passport in September and this birth cert was sufficient.

We got that too but we have lost it. My main question is if I order another one from HSE will it be ok to use as an application for his passport as it won't be the original birth cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

We got that too but we have lost it. My main question is if I order another one from HSE will it be ok to use as an application for his passport as it won't be the original birth cert.

Yep absolutely fine, we sent in one we ordered subsequently online, not the original one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Theres more info about ordering certs on this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055616784

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 215 ✭✭ceecee14

The registry office keeps onto the original birth certificate so all the copys you get are deemed the original cert. For documentation what they mean by original is from the registry office and not photocopied. Just to clear that up for anyone who doesn't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

www.certificates.ie is the official site, please don't be scammed by the birthsdeathsmarriages.ie site.

Yes the one you order from certificates.ie is the new long form certificate for children. As above when they mean original they mean not photocopied. Any birth cert that you get from the HSE will be official as long as it's not photocopied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

God I just realised the site we ordered ours from (that we actually realised a few days ago never sent us it) wasn't the HSE one. God damn it, OH paid for expedited delivery too but I found the copy at home so never thought to chase up on it

Anyone who applied for their childs passport told they have to send their passport off with the application? We have gone down to the garda station with our passports and got them stamped and everything else done (photos stamped etc). But at counter in post office I was told I need to send my passport off along with my childs application. It says nothing along those lines on the passport form?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Anyone who applied for their childs passport told they have to send their passport off with the application? We have gone down to the garda station with our passports and got them stamped and everything else done (photos stamped etc). But at counter in post office I was told I need to send my passport off along with my childs application. It says nothing along those lines on the passport form?

If it's a first application a parents passport or birth cert has to go off too, this is to prove citizenship. For a renewal you do not need to send these extra supporting documents.

It should give info in the supporting documents part of the form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

Yup I had to send mine a couple of weeks ago.

Yes, for a first one but not for renewals after that.

Advertisement