Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deal breaker on a house

Options
  • 16-07-2015 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭

Id like to hear opinions on what would be the obstacle that would turn them off buying or renting a house. By this im talking about, no garden or outdoor space, a bedroom with no window apart from a skylight, no parking nearby, or surrounded by nothing expect houses for a mile or two.

Ive been looking at houses, in my limited budget, that will each have one or more of the above issues. I understand i have to in on location or the quality of house but id like to hear others opinions on what makes them turn away from an otherwise promising property. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

A garden would be a big one for me, somewhere to hang clothes and have a little sit out when its sunny. No windows in a bedroom would also be deal breaker even for ventilation its important never mind light. I would also have to live near public transport as the industry I am in will always be in the city centre so I can't drive there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I wouldn't live close to a busy premises. Rented near a shop and spent 20 minutes a day either blocked into the driveway or blocked out of the driveway. You end up spending half your free time glaring outside as yet another healthy able bodied person blocks your driveway so as to save themselves a 40 second walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

a bedroom with no window apart from a skylight,

I'm not expert on this, but don't bedrooms have to have an alternative fire exit? Meaning that a room with a window but no skylight should not be be counted as one.

Personally, not having access to reasonable public transport would be a deal-breaker: I don't want to have to drive everywhere. And I would not to live out of sight of the nearest neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

No parking would be a major issue , even if I didn't drive, what about visitors etc?

No garden etc would be an issue for getting clothes dried. Either you are clogging up space in your kitchen with a dryer, and costing yourself lots to run it, or you are drying your clothes inside, and leaving yourself open to mould issues.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I'm not expert on this, but don't bedrooms have to have an alternative fire exit? Meaning that a room with a window but no skylight should not be be counted as one.

You are a correct. To be classified as a bedroom it needs a window (means of escape) in accordance with Part B of the Building Regulations. Roof lights can be used here if the room is in the attic space and they have a slightly different set of allowable measurements to overcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

And I would not to live out of sight of the nearest neighbours.
    Wow not having to listen to another idiot who cant control his dog or enter his house without setting off his alarm or a million other things like deciding that Saturday afternoon is the best time to fire up the lawnmower and strimmer for a few hours is a dream of mine, Ill be inheriting a farm some day and never thought Id want to live in the middle of nowhere but the minute I turned 30 I started to crave it with a vengeance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

being near a noisy road would be a big one for me... particularly if you could hear it in the bedroom. In fact I just wouldnt live on a main road...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

No off street parking would be a deal breaker for me. Somewhere with space for my two cars and room to work on them.
    A garage would be a bonus. I don't like seeing attached garages converted into rooms, flat roof extensions of any kind really don't look good imo. Otherwise, I'm not too fussy. A nice original period early-to-mid 20th century three or four bed would do me just fine!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Any house I buy will be within walking distance of a decent pub that I can call my local.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

It really is how much bang for your buck I'd be getting. Location, layout, security, amenities.
    Most importantly, and the Irish real estate market is a complete catastrophe for not doing this, is quantifying by sq. Metre or sq. Foot the sizes of the property. The UK, mainland Europe and practically everyone else in the civilised world measures on this key factor and we throw a blind eye to it.
    Ask any of my colleagues I work abroad with and they are always discussing sq. Metre of their new apartments they've just bought!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

kceire wrote: »
    You are a correct. To be classified as a bedroom it needs a window (means of escape) in accordance with Part B of the Building Regulations. Roof lights can be used here if the room is in the attic space and they have a slightly different set of allowable measurements to overcome.

Thank you.

Do you happen to have a link to that? And does the roof light have to be positioned so that a person can reach it while standing on the floor? (Totally selfish question here: if my LL wants to increase the rent, it would be great to say "but I can't legally use that 2nd room as a brm"!)

I think essential for me in future will be a granny flat/converted shed or just a couple of rooms away from my living area that I can rent out, wouldnt feel comfortable having most of my money locked up in a house not bringing in a return...

Not buying yet though, going to let the wages pile up for another couple of years and see if we can get some stability in the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

No outside space would be a deal breaker for me. I also want to live in a safe area with decent public transport connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

I could never live in an estate/town again. The noise drove me crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Space for a Christmas tree, rear access, parking for at least two cars, at least two bathrooms (one must include a bath) and not in a security vulnerable location.

Walking distance to a shop and on a public transport route. Not so close to schools or playing fields that parking becomes an issue.

Wow, didn't realise I was so fussy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

When I bought I had some set in stone requirements and had to travel a bit away to meet those requirements and still be in my budget.

1) Near the sea, Grew up near the sea and cannot understate how relaxing I find a walk on the beach to clear my head.
    2) A driveway or designated parking
    3) A back and front garden.
    4) A green area for (future) kids
    5) Limited through traffic
    6) An ensuite.

I took a hit on public transport but a 5 min drive to the nearest railway station was ok.

You have to ask yourself, Can I put up with this for the duration of my mortgage? If yes, go for it but If it will always be a regret, walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

kceire wrote: »
    Thank you.

Do you happen to have a link to that? And does the roof light have to be positioned so that a person can reach it while standing on the floor? (Totally selfish question here: if my LL wants to increase the rent, it would be great to say "but I can't legally use that 2nd room as a brm"!)

Would like a link for this as plenty of >2 storey apartment blocks have bedrooms which can't use the window as a fire escape.

Thargor wrote: »
    Wow not having to listen to another idiot who cant control his dog or enter his house without setting off his alarm or a million other things like deciding that Saturday afternoon is the best time to fire up the lawnmower and strimmer for a few hours is a dream of mine, Ill be inheriting a farm some day and never thought Id want to live in the middle of nowhere but the minute I turned 30 I started to crave it with a vengeance.

My Dad had a dream of moving back down the country when he retired, moved to Dublin 40+ years ago, and inherited the family farm recently. It's not the dream he though it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

There have been a couple of nice houses for sale in our town but what has been the deal breaker for them is the neighbours, who are members of the settled travellers community.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

I remember house-hunting in the bad old days. I found a likely house but it needed underpinning work. The work was priced at €70,000 by my engineer.

I asked the auctioneer for €70k off. He said take it or leave it at full price because he could sell to someone else with no reduction.

So that was a deal breaker for me, one that I don't regret.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

Ive seen some terraced cottages lately that were extended into the rear yard or garden area. This has two effects, the rear outdoor space is now gone and theres often an internal room stranded without a window, apart from a skylight. To me these should be marketed as one bed, with a store room or office, not a two bed. Id like to rent out a room or do airbnb but a prison cell with no window may scare off some folk. I dont think id like it myself.

The outside space is another thing im learning to be flexible on, particularly when living in a city centre. Im starting to go back to think about apartments again, you have fees and potentially noisy neighbours, but you usually get usable space.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Thargor wrote: »
    ... things like deciding that Saturday afternoon is the best time to fire up the lawnmower and strimmer for a few hours...

Off topic. But if someone can't mow their lawn on a Saturday afternoon, what time do you propose they do?

Back on topic.
    Mid terrace house with no access to the rear garden without traipsing mud and crap through the house. No downstairs toilet or where the only bathroom is downstairs. No parking. I'm sure there's more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Really crappy broadband and no mobile reception. Friend lives in countryside with 3Mb BB and nowadays struggles with everything online....and things will only get worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭YurOK2

We're actually house hunting at the moment so our dealbreakers are:
    House must be detached, preferably with no immediate neighbours in sight.
    Very large garden.
    Large garage.
    Large kitchen/dining area.
    No carpet downstairs.
    Built in wardrobes in bedrooms are preferable.
    At least 2 en suite bedrooms.
    There needs to be decent broadband.

Everybody's needs are very different though so it's hard to compare anybody's list.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thank you.

It's my bread and butter employment ;)

http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,1640,en.pdf

A roof light must be top hung, a vertical distance of minimum 600mm from the floor. And then the angled distance to the external eaves must be mad 1700mm.

At particular attention to section 1.5.6 and if the room is in the attic space the Velux window is just one item in a long list of items that make that room a bedroom.
    Del2005 wrote: »
    Would like a link for this as plenty of >2 storey apartment blocks have bedrooms which can't use the window as a fire escape.

Apartment blocks are a totally different kettle of fish which are multi unit developments containing a much more detailed fire alarm and detection unit, probably LL3X or similar, complex travel distance calculations and a Fire Safety Certificate in place. A dwelling house would have none of the above.

It's worth noting that in dwelling houses and apartment blocks to a certain height, the windows are not only means of escape but also means of rescue where a Fire Tender ladder can reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Lack of space, I need at least an acre of land on the site.
    a spring smelling slurry is awaiting me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

YurOK2 wrote: »
    Very large garden.
    Large garage.
    No carpet downstairs.

Everybody's needs are very different though so it's hard to compare anybody's list.

Surely carpet and wardrobes are small diy jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Very large garden.
    Large garage.
    No carpet downstairs.

Carpet should not be deal breaker as it can be easily lifted, the cost of alternative flooring might be factored in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭YurOK2

athtrasna wrote: »
    Surely carpet and wardrobes are small diy jobs?
    Carpet should not be deal breaker as it can be easily lifted, the cost of alternative flooring might be factored in.

Nah, we're looking for somewhere that suits us and doesn't need to be changed to suit us.

Nah, we're looking for somewhere that suits us and doesn't need to be changed to suit us.
    So you're really passing on houses based on carpets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

My deal breakers would be...

No garden / tiny garden
    No storage space
    No decent public transport
    No parking
    No half decent pub nearby
    No open spaces / fields / parks nearby

Advertisement