Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Building new rig for my OpenSimWheel

• 16-07-2015 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

Hi all,

I havent been here for a while, I moved back to Sweden with my wife and dogs and life has been a bit busy.

Finally had some time to start Sim Racing again and then went and sold all my Sim Racing gear, sold everything execpt my Fanatec V2 pedals. I sold my rSeat RS1 rig with Fanatec CSW V1 base + Porcshe 918 wheel + F1 Wheel + handbrake.

I sold all my stuff so I could get money to build the OpenSimWheel (OSW), I ordered all the parts from a guy on the iRacing forum.

Ordered a new wheel, controller card, buttons and carbon fibre plate to build my own Sim Racing wheel. Also ordered loads of stuff for 2 button boxes... I am going crazy with this build hehe. Will update with pictures once I start building the stuff.

But that meant I didnt have a rig so started to design one in alu profile and ordered all the parts last week. Some bits were missing in the shippment of the alu profile parts and I should get them today. Below you can see how far I have got so far... I have to say that this alu profile stuff is amazing!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Great to see you back in action mate, and WOW what an epic setup, enjoy !!!
    What sims ya running these days?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Im so jealous, very nice set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭c0rn3y

Im running mostly iRacing and rF2, well I was running them before I sold everything hehe. Now I have to wait until end of August before I can drive again, but the OpenSimWheel will make it worth the wait =)

What you guys driving nowadays?

Some small updates.

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 374 ✭✭Jjiipp79

OP, how much was the stand?

• Advertisement

The whole rig not including the seat was about €500 shipped to my door. Bought all the parts from a company in Germany (Motedis), you can order pre-cut lengths of aluminium from them. The only other thing that was not included in that prices was the Vesa mounts for the monitors, I got them for free from work (was a bit lucky).

c0rn3y wrote: »
    The whole rig not including the seat was about €500 shipped to my door. Bought all the parts from a company in Germany (http://www.motedis.co.uk), you can order pre-cut lengths of aluminium from them. The only other thing that was not included in that prices was the Vesa mounts for the monitors, I got them for free from work (was a bit lucky).

Thanks.. It's a class set up. I'm going to build a stand and get ready to race. Thanks again for the info.

Happy racing..

I can provide you with the Google SketchUp model if you want. It is very handy to dray the rig in SketchUp as it is easy to move things around and see how they fit together and also a good way to measure everything.

c0rn3y this would be great, thanks so much.....

Here is a link to a rar file: http://kens-corner.com/rig/motedis_rig_sketchup_versions.rar

Was not sure what version you use of SketchUp (if you do use SketchUp at all), so I saved it in a couple of different versions =)

• Advertisement

I'll defo use one

Im running mostly iRacing and rF2, well I was running them before I sold everything hehe. Now I have to wait until end of August before I can drive again, but the OpenSimWheel will make it worth the wait =)

What you guys driving nowadays?

Stock Car extreme mostly, its just feels better than everything else to me, ffb is by far the best of any sim,amazing physics too only matched by assetto corsa and iracing imo.
    Add in all the free content Reiza have given us and what more would any simracer need.
    CART Extreme mod for it is getting my most of my time.

Play some Assetto Corsa and PCARS too.

Small update, dont think that I posted any pictures with my OSW mounted to the rig =)

new4.jpg

new3.jpg

new2.jpg

new1.jpg

Love it man, especially the wheel and pedals, enjoy!!!

Thanks man =)

Me and my friend built the button plate for the wheel, I designed it and did the arduino coding any my friend did all the CNC work. Worked out really good =)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Very nice.

How did you find the aluminium profile to work with. I worked with it years ago at work, we had to abandon it because it just wasn't suitable for what we were using it for, it kept getting rattled apart. It was a long time ago, it was somewhat new stuff at the time.

I find it lovely to work with, really stable. It's like grown man's Lego. The brackets are really strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I find it lovely to work with, really stable. It's like grown man's Lego. The brackets are really strong.
    It looks bulkier than the stuff I was using. I was using square stuff, I think it was about 50mm square. It just wasn't up to the particular task, it's much better suited to what you're using it for, the only thing that might give trouble is the wheel mount. But I've seen plenty of people using that stuff and they don't seem to have any problems. I just ended up with a lack of respect for the stuff after my own experience. But that would have been maybe up to 15 years ago, so it's probably come on a long way since then.

What's it like price wise?

Yeah a lot of stuff has happened with Alu profiles. It's a lot stronger now and so are the type of nuts and bolts that use. I would recommend anybody to use this stuff =)

Advertisement