Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clone HD with multiple operating systems

Options
  • 16-07-2015 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a laptop that I configured to be a dual boot (Windows 7 and Ubuntu). I'm now looking to clone the hard drive exactly as it is to a new bigger drive. I've cloned this hard drive before when it was just W7 using Crucial's Acronis software. However, I've tried using it to clone the dual boot and I keep getting an error. I've looked around and it appears that Acronis cannot clone Linux partitions.

Does anyone know any decent software to do this. Should I clone each partition separately or can I do it all in one go?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Maybe use dd or ddrescue from a live DVD ?

edit: then add a partition in the free space, or extend one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Whenever I do it I boot linux from a usb and use dd to copy the drive.

If the new drive is bigger I then use a partition manager to expand/create partitions.

Tip if you want to move a partition to make space to expand an adjacent partition then shrink the partition you are moving
    to its minimum size and then expand it after moving. That way it takes a lot less time than moving a load of unused space on the partition.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Any bit-copy style tool should do this fine.

Advertisement