Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pot plants that bees like

Options
  • 16-07-2015 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I'm a total novice gardener but would like a couple of pot plants or hanging baskets in my garden to brighten the place up.

I'd like some plants that attract bees though - what would you recommend that is low maintenance, happy in a pot or basket and looks quite pretty?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Mint, Coreopsis, Lavender, Fuchsia, Carnations

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

Thank you, I bought 2 gorgeous lavender plants and a Rosemary bush :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

Salvia( sage),scabious,

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭hiujn

I have a blueberry bush here in the back garden in the ground which attracts bees from early on in the season it has beautiful scented white flowers although now it is just berries i have another in a pot but it wont flower until next year i think also Aquilegia is a great flower for attracting bees but both these methods are a long process unless you buy established plants.

This time of year you could let the grass grow a little and let the clover flower which the bees also love.

hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

hiujn wrote: »
    I have a blueberry bush here in the back garden in the ground which attracts bees from early on in the season it has beautiful scented white flowers although now it is just berries i have another in a pot but it wont flower until next year i think also Aquilegia is a great flower for attracting bees but both these methods are a long process unless you buy established plants.

This time of year you could let the grass grow a little and let the clover flower which the bees also love.

hope this helps

Thanks Hijun
    I've no lawn at the moment, I'm in a rented house and the grass was in a terrible mess - a friend of mine has just removed most of it, put new top soil and seed down...hopefully it will take nicely over the next few weeks!

I'm a total beginner when it comes to gardening but I'd love to learn.
    I don't just want pretty things though, I was my garden to serve a purpose as well and helping the bees seemed like a good place to start!

Thanks for the suggestions guys, very helpful :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement