Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New home - query sbout securing front door

Options
  • 16-07-2015 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I have just moved into an apartment and i feel the front door is not totally secure. There is a main apartment block door and then our front door. There is only one lock but the door is shaky. I'd say one kick and you'd be in.

Anyway, i asked my landlord could we put on a chain on the inside and he said no.

I don't think that is unreasonable at all.

I have only been there a week and already he seems like he will be a handful.

any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

chain is pointless i could put in any chain with one kick
    get a door jamer and it doesn't even need to be permanently attached

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Door-Jammer-DJ1-Door-Jammer/dp/B00BFUM0V6/ref=sr_1_2/278-6122501-8274459?ie=UTF8&qid=1437077441&sr=8-2&keywords=door+jammer+security

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭wupucus

all you need Is a wooden or plastic wedge that you get , to hold doors open- works equally well for preventing doors being pushed in - the more force applied - the firmer it wedges the door shut- only useful for when you are in obviously but then again so is a chain - only cost about 2-3 euros and do not need to be fixed to anything - I use them on my app door as the frame is really old and rotten-

Its not unreasonable. Indeed all apartments really should have a proper security door in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

The door jammer or wedge is a good idea but could only be used while the tenents are at home.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

The door jammer or wedge is a good idea but could only be used while the tenents are at home.

So can a chain

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Jotunheim

I think your first mistake was asking your landlord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Jotunheim wrote: »
    I think your first mistake was asking your landlord.

A tenant cannot alter the landlord 's property without permission

athtrasna wrote: »
    A tenant cannot alter the landlord 's property without permission

It's easier to get forgiveness than permission. Personally I wouldn't consider that an alteration anyway, just a reasonable step to improve personal security.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Is the door in question- the front door of the building- or the apartment's door itself? If its the front door- its actually the management company's duty to maintain it in good repair. With an internal door- the landlord is not allowed modify it- however, he should ensure that internally it is kept in good condition.

Is it the front door of the building- or the apartment's door- is the first question?

Also- your neighbours- are they in the same position? Do they have different doors?

It's easier to get forgiveness than permission. Personally I wouldn't consider that an alteration anyway, just a reasonable step to improve personal security.

That can be considered vandalism. You have no right to materially alter something you don't own. Affixing a chain or an additional lock would involve putting holes in the landlord's property. Not something that should be considered without consent.

• Advertisement

That can be considered vandalism.

Maybe by someone who doesn't know what vandalism means.

Maybe by someone who doesn't know what vandalism means.

Damaging property which you don't own. Holes in a door not deemed necessary by the landlord would constitute damage.

Damaging property which you don't own. Holes in a door not deemed necessary by the landlord would constitute damage.

Would have to be done "without lawful excuse". Best of luck arguing before a court that installation of an easily removed home security device constitutes damage without lawful excuse.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

By the way- it belongs to the Management Company- not the Landlord.
    You could put the landlord in breach of his obligations to the Management Company- if you materially alter any property vested in the Management Company- and this normally includes the doors into the property (even the doors into an apartment). I can show you doors in bits- that landlords don't have the right to alter- its just life. When you buy an apartment- its part of what you sign up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Would have to be done "without lawful excuse". Best of luck arguing before a court that installation of an easily removed home security device constitutes damage without lawful excuse.

Adding additional locks, chains etc to the door without the landlords express permission would indeed get you in trouble, no court required to argue in front of, the PTRB would find in the landlords favour. In addition to this you'd be violating the terms of tenancy by potentially blocking access to the property in case of emergency.

OP, inform the landlord in writing of the issues with the door and request they fix them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

that door is a fire door and if its not fitting properly, latching correctly as you seem to think, it is a fire hazard!

Advertisement