Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

spares for compaq presario

Options
  • 16-07-2015 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

is there anywhere in ireland doing spares for compaq presario 2100 model 2102EA. This is an old one my friend wants to restore. Very slow cpu burned out i would say

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

What's wrong with it, and whats he planning to do with it?

Total waste of money doing anything with it imo, CPU would run a light Linux kernel adequately, and not much else.

Doubt you'll get parts anywhere, laptop replacements aren't overly common, nevermind 8 year old devices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭cannotcope

What's wrong with it, and whats he planning to do with it?

Total waste of money doing anything with it imo, CPU would run a light Linux kernel adequately, and not much else.

Doubt you'll get parts anywhere, laptop replacements aren't overly common, nevermind 8 year old devices.
    i'd say the cpu is burned out it is v slow. he wants to get it working as it was a gift from someone who is now dead. what linux would it run. would it need av/firewall. with anything running in background it just freezes

Don't understand what you mean by burned out, they don't degrade over time afaik.

DSL or Bodhi Linux wouldn't push it.

No AV needed, not sure about a firewall but I doubt it

Don't understand what you mean by burned out, they don't degrade over time afaik.

DSL or Bodhi Linux wouldn't push it.

No AV needed, not sure about a firewall but I doubt it
    by burned out i mean just wrecked. he had a lot of security programs running at start up. it is only a celeron. I think he used a mini to draw a trailer up a mountain when he should have used a truck. I ran a test and it is at 100 % on very little programs running. maybe i am wrong

can you run windows programs under linux. linux needs no av?

It wouldn't bum out under load like that, its not an engine.

You can, but not on that CPU.

What's he going to be doing with it, for regular web browsing and media you've got Chrome, Firefox, VLC etc on Linux. It's not going to be fit for anything more under Windows either, it'll chug faster and cooler under Linux though.

No Linux does not require an AV

• Advertisement

It wouldn't bum out under load like that, its not an engine.

You can, but not on that CPU.

What's he going to be doing with it, for regular web browsing and media you've got Chrome, Firefox, VLC etc on Linux. It's not going to be fit for anything more under Windows either, it'll chug faster and cooler under Linux though.

No Linux does not require an AV
    but it ran windows xp ok originally. if the cpu has not burned out why won't it run windows now? i had thought they would burn out like an engine

yeah just for browsing and email he want just to have it going reasonably fast. there is 768 RAM - 512 and 256

Has he updated the AVs? And how many is he running, and what are they?

XP has been totally dropped by MS, I don't recommend keeping it, whether it works well or not.

Updated problems will draw more power from CPU, so Chrome now and Chrome 5 years ago are different beasts for example, and AVs are already power hungry so they put serious strain on the CPU.

Has he updated the AVs? And how many is he running, and what are they?

XP has been totally dropped by MS, I don't recommend keeping it, whether it works well or not.

Updated problems will draw more power from CPU, so Chrome now and Chrome 5 years ago are different beasts for example, and AVs are already power hungry so they put serious strain on the CPU.
    there is no av on it now. no firewall. no antispyware.nothing runs at start. firefox is the browser but it is not online as no firewall etc
    fair enough but i am trying to find out what is wrong with the pc and it ran xp ok for years. Another very strange thing is the letter i does not work from the keyboard, need external one. and when a search box is opened the letter i goes off on its own like iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
    no virus it has been restored with factory disks

Advertisement