Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Builder said he priced the job for cash.

Options
  • 16-07-2015 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭

Just having some work done and it's just finished and I asked what name will I put on the bank draft and he said...eh I priced this job for cash! I don't want to give away too much as he might be on here but it's a big enough amount like extension money.
    I have it on an email that I sent that I will pay by bank draft when the job is finished and not once did anyone mention cash to me but nobody mentioned VAT either the price was just quoted as is. Now they say I'll have to pay vat if I want to pay with a draft.
    Personally I don't mind giving cash but what's the story with getting large amounts of cash from banks these days? Do they ask questions? Can I get into trouble for this?
    Also what is the rate of vat on this kind of job.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

iamtony wrote: »
    [the Bulder]...eh I priced this job for cash!

That's illegal.
    Personally I don't mind giving cash...

...and...That's illegal.

You will have to make up your own mind on this one as to what to do, but, we cannot discuss the 'pros' of paying cash on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Ok understood but I'm really trying to see where I stand? Can he legally charge what he has quoted plus vat now as he never mentioned it and I have the price in writing with no mention of plus vat?

And when I say I don't mind paying cash I wasn't referring to a cash job(no vat) I meant physical money.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭cnoc

Ok understood but I'm really trying to see where I stand? Can he legally charge what he has quoted plus vat now as he never mentioned it and I have the price in writing with no mention of plus vat?

And when I say I don't mind paying cash I wasn't referring to a cash job(no vat) I meant physical money.

Did you get a quotation in writing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

DOCARCH wrote: »
    That's illegal.
    ...and...That's illegal.

Paying or receiving cash is not illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

There is no problem paying cash but if a business accepts over €15,000 in cash for a service or product (can be multiple payments for the same job/products) it must be reported to revenue. Id give him his draft and be done, sounds like he is chancing his arm to me. If you are a private customer and not a business he should have been quoting the gross figure as the vat element is irrelevant to you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭cnoc

Just having some work done and it's just finished and I asked what name will I put on the bank draft and he said...eh I priced this job for cash! I don't want to give away too much as he might be on here but it's a big enough amount like extension money.
    I have it on an email that I sent that I will pay by bank draft when the job is finished and not once did anyone mention cash to me but nobody mentioned VAT either the price was just quoted as is. Now they say I'll have to pay vat if I want to pay with a draft.
    Personally I don't mind giving cash but what's the story with getting large amounts of cash from banks these days? Do they ask questions? Can I get into trouble for this?
    Also what is the rate of vat on this kind of job.

Thanks.
    Do banks inform Revenue Commissioners if a large sum is withdrawn in cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

if it is in email, maybe try get the price down by paying cash win / win. Cash is far more valuable to him... Better in your pockets than being pissed up against the wall by the state...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭kirving

Paying or receiving cash is not illegal.

Paying in cash is fine, it's up to the builder to sort out his tax affairs, may sure you get a proper reciept in case of future issues though.

Bear in mind too, you pay tax on your earnings, and so should he. Revenue are no fools either, there's a very real chance he could be audited.

cnoc wrote: »
    Did you get a quotation in writing?

I have a price in writing not so much a quotation more a case of, I've priced up that job and I can do it for x amount, then a bit of haggling, then an agreed amount and in writing I stated payment on completion of x amount by draft and there was no mention of plus vat and no argument about the draft at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

His quote is required to be vat inclusive. He's dodging tax, tell him you'll be paying via bank draft or not at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,536 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Write out the cheque or get a bankdraft for whatever the agreed amount was and hand it over.**** him,if he doesn't like it.

aaakev wrote: »
    There is no problem paying cash but if a business accepts over €15,000 in cash for a service or product (can be multiple payments for the same job/products) it must be reported to revenue. Id give him his draft and be done, sounds like he is chancing his arm to me. If you are a private customer and not a business he should have been quoting the gross figure as the vat element is irrelevant to you
    That's the answer I'm looking for thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭tastyt

Just give him the cash if it saves you money. It's up to him to sort his tax affairs. You were given a quote of how much it would cost you to get the job done. You weren't to know if your builder is paying tax or not. It's not your responsibility

tastyt wrote: »
    Just give him the cash if it saves you money. It's up to him to sort his tax affairs. You were given a quote of how much it would cost you to get the job done. You weren't to know if your builder is paying tax or not. It's not your responsibility
    How much cash can you get from a bank before they ask questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,536 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Its not saving the OP money.

And it's not really saving me money I payed over the odds to get a proper job done.

It's kinda up to every citizen to not facilitate fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

I think for deposits the limit is €5k before the bank has to report it due to money laundering legislation. Not sure if it's still €5k or if it has gone up or down.

No idea if there's a ceiling on withdrawals though.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭daveville30

Any amount its your money they can't question you about ur money.pay him cash and let him worry about tax.ur not doing anything wrong.

And it's not really saving me money I payed over the odds to get a proper job done.

Found the legislation for you by the way.

Where, for the purposes of or in connection with the rendering of a service by a person, the charge for the service is stated orally by the person or by a servant or agent of the person or is stated in any catalogue or advertisement or in a notice or other document (other than an invoice), the charge so stated shall be stated as a single amount inclusive of any charge made by the person for any tax payable in respect of the service.

• Advertisement

Any amount its your money they can't question you about ur money.pay him cash and let him worry about tax.ur not doing anything wrong.

They certainly can question you about it. Op is aware that something is wrong, hence the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,437 ✭✭✭✭Victor

We're not here to facilitate money laundering or tax evasion.

Any unusual transaction or anything over X thousand will be reported.

So let's say I get more than 5k and they report it and revenue ask me about it am I obliged to provide them with receipts or anything like that or tell them what I did with it?

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Ok you can pay cash no problem most banks need cash over 5k ordered with 24 hour notice. The bank will not question what it is for. The only other aspect you need to do is get a receipt for the payment and work done. What he does with it is his problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

DOCARCH wrote: »
    That's illegal.

...and...That's illegal.

You will have to make up your own mind on this one as to what to do, but, we cannot discuss the 'pros' of paying cash on this forum.

Paying with cash is not illegal.

Don't forget about claiming your tax credits .
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/reliefs/hri/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

aaakev wrote: »
    There is no problem paying cash but if a business accepts over €15,000 in cash for a service or product (can be multiple payments for the same job/products) it must be reported to revenue.

Have you a source for that, never heard of it before?

Victor wrote: »

I'm not here for that either I'm only asking the question and to cover my own ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Victor wrote: »

X thousand? 10k?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

ted1 wrote: »
    Paying with cash is not illegal.

O.k. Fair enough, it is not illegal. But, when I go into a shop or petrol station and pay cash, I get a (VAT) receipt.

In the OP's case, clearly the purpose of the builder wanting to be paid in cash is to avoid paying tax/VAT.

That is illegal!

And now the OP is aware of it, s/he is party to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Out of interest did he also say that he has insurance ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement