Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Builder said he priced the job for cash.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,437 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Oh, if you 'pay cash', realise that down the line, if there is a Capital Gains Tax issue, you may end up with a bill for what is, in effect, the builder's tax.
    its your money they can't question you about ur money.
    They can and do. Turning blind eyes is a thing of the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,364 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

If you want to avoid hassle with him and can do it pay him cash if your ever questioned by any authorities tell the truth about how much you paid and to who. The tax is his problem just make sure the job is finished fully snagged and if you have arrangements over retention that they are clear. Also get a receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

elastico wrote: »
    Have you a source for that, never heard of it before?

A big anti money laundering document we got from revenue in 2013. I work in a business where cash payments are common and the rules are payments over 15k must be reported and the source of the payments must be reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

ted1 wrote: »
    Out of interest did he also say that he has insurance ?
    Yes he has and I was wondering if I'm covered if it doesn't go through his books?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

It's kinda up to every citizen to not facilitate fraud.

And yet we vote them in anyway. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

The answer to "how much can I take out in cash without it being noticed?" is not simple. Broadly speaking, probably a lot less than you think. The person on the other side of the counter has a legal responsibility to report transactions they suspect may be dodgy (see here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/personal_finance/financial_institutions/money_laundering_in_ireland.html).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Paying or receiving cash is not illegal.

It is when it's (purposely) in connection with tax/VAT evasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Paying with cash is not illegal.

Don't forget about claiming your tax credits .
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/reliefs/hri/

Came here to say this...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,437 ✭✭✭✭Victor

iamtony wrote: »
    Yes he has and I was wondering if I'm covered if it doesn't go through his books?
    Insurance-wise, there would be lots of denial.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Paying with cash is not illegal.

Don't forget about claiming your tax credits .
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/reliefs/hri/
    Dardania wrote: »
    Came here to say this...

I don't think you can claim the HRI relief without the work been done by a registered contractor and been provided with a VAT invoice for the works done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

iamtony wrote: »
    If it didn't go through his books, what evidence do you have that he did it, should something go wrong, and if you did have to bring him to court to rectify something, I wonder how the judge will view you helping the builder to avoid tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

kceire wrote: »
    I don't think you can claim the HRI relief without the work been done by a registered contractor and been provided with a VAT invoice for the works done?

I wouldn't imagine so, you have to keep documents relating to a tax claim for 6 years iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

the_syco wrote: »
    I wonder how the judge will view you helping the builder to avoid tax?

the judge couldnt give a flying f*** - it has nothing to do with him or the case and he is NOT supposed to let outside matters such as this influence his decision.
    seriously, stop scare mongering here.

by the way I was chastised here th other day for saying I presumed the price I was quoted was for cash. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I'm going to tell him tomorrow that I will try to get your cash but I want a vat receipt for the work. I won't be claiming vat back or anything against it so it will stay in my drawer for safekeeping incase there is any comeback.
    I'll tell him he can do whatever he likes with his copy of the invoice and the cash as that's none of my business.
    I didn't agree to any cash job or anything like that so it's his problem.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Thread closed - please PM if you want it moved to the revenue.ie forum

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement