Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seafood Restaurants in Westport

Options
  • 16-07-2015 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

Hi All,
    Am bringing my parents to Westport for a few days in August. They are both big into seafood, especially oysters, mussels, clams etc.. and I wondered if anyone could help with any recommendations of places I could perhaps take them, to satisfy their shell fish needs. I don't mind if it's a bar/cafe/restaurant but the heads up on any places renowned for good sea food, would help me out no end.
    Thank you in advance if you can.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Idle wall out the Quay is supposed to be good, Haven't been there myself. http://theidlewall.ie/

or Mangos on Bridge street

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

An Port Mor or Mangos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Ahhh, love seafood and shellfish. Unfortunately, living in Dublin now - the seafood/shellfish is hit and miss up here. I miss how seafood was always so consistently good in Westport, no matter where you went.

I'd be inclined to say The Helm on Westport Quay because I used to work there, and the seafood/shellfish was always great quality and fresh (e.g. mussels delivered 7 evenings a week during summer), and chefs know what they are doing.

Other than that, I'd recommend Mango's Restaurant in the town centre, which I go to quite often whenever I'm down in Westport. It's a small, cosy seafood restaurant. There's also The Tavern in Murrisk which is well worth a visit if you're looking for lobster or mussels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

The Quay cottage by the entrance to Westport house would be my top tip for sea food in Westport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

afatbollix wrote: »
    The Quay cottage by the entrance to Westport house would be my top tip for sea food in Westport.

Quay Cottage is now The Idlewall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

Thanks a million for all your suggestions, the are all noted and much appreciated. We are only there a few days anyway but should at least get to try a couple of places from the all the above suggested.
    My parents, as I said before, are big into the seafood, especially shellfish and sadly their passion was not passed down to me! How anyone can say that an "oyster" was grand when it is swallowed whole, is beyond me? Suppose its each to their own:)
    I just wanted to seek out some reputable places for the "experts" with me, or they may never trust me and visit again:)
    Thanks again. Will post my [sorry, their] review after our trip, as it might help someone else out too. Cheers folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

The Idle Wall was lovely. That said, the mussels were hard to beat at "The Tower" that we had the day after. Loved Westport, fantastic place. Thanks again.

Advertisement